Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

221 to 240 of 2,429 messages
19/07/2011 at 07:39
Mornin Chris, that's a good link cheers! The training plan looks a little more sensible than the one is found which had me doing stupid miles. This certainly breaks you into it a bit easier. A 100 for your first ultra is brave but doable I say so hats off to you!
19/07/2011 at 08:34

K.P

In terms of the back to backs, it probably took me 5 months before I was comfortable doing a 20/20, and that was building up from an Ironman background, so I am used to running slowly

I think it then took me another 4 months before I could do 2 sets a week without being wasted the week after

I much prefer the back to backs compared to single long runs as

a) I have 3 kids under 7 and can't really go off all day at the weekend

b) I have a busy job

c) Recovery time from single long runs is too great 

19/07/2011 at 10:07
Veggie, sounds all to similar! My kids are 2, 6 and 7. Commutingbto and from work will be a good way of back to backs for me, just over 13m each way
19/07/2011 at 10:50

Hi all,

Thanks Mr F for leading me to the correct thread for this race! I have just caught up reading all the comments and they are really useful! My background is this.  I used to be almost 5 stone heavier thn I am now, and never would do sport or join in PE at school due to lack of confidence and embarrassment (even though looking back I wasnt even that big at school!!) I have 4 children, 2 of which have now left home and 2 still living at home (Having the children was really where my weight gain got out of hand!)

I gradually managed to lose the weight after years of yo-yoing and did the race for life, whcih gave me the idea that I might be able to give running a go. I started running 3 yrs ago, just b4 my 40th b'day.

I ran the london marathon in 2009 (4hrs 38 - so as you see, Im a slow runner)Never believing I'd EVER be able to achieve something like that, I then wanted to see what else I could do!

I did the challenge hub 24hr challenge in march (this yr) with the idea of running a double marathon distance as quick as I could then stopping. I managed the 52 miles in 11 hrs, and was dead chuffed. I got my head down for a bit, then decided to get back on the course and do a little more - which turned into a lot more and I ended up doing 75 miles in the 24 hrs.

Im about to sign up for the TP100. I have NO sense of direction, so hopefully this will be a good one for me. I will def ba very slow, but am determined that I should give this a good go...even if the thought does terrify me! I know it'll be much tougher than my other ultra, as i was able to stop for a while in that.

Well done to all of you for the trainig you've already done...and sorry about the essay!!!!

Edited: 19/07/2011 at 10:53
19/07/2011 at 10:58
Purplepig, that's an amazing story! Much respect to you for your weightloss and getting yourself up to 75m, that's 3 more than I did in a 24hr cross country event I did last summer! I reckon you will be fine over 100m, your clearly a very fit and determind woman!! Get that entry in, yours should just push it over the 100 runners and 50% full mark!
19/07/2011 at 11:51

OOhhh..I've done it! Ithink I'm the 104th entrant.

The race director emailed me a training plan, if anyone's looking for one. Like you Mr F, I won't be able to do 100 miles a week, or anything close!!

Well, I guess we all do it how we can..but it's great to get tips from others.

19/07/2011 at 11:56
Would you mind forwarding it on to me please?
paul_farrell79@hotmail.com
Is be interested to see what the organisers advise!
19/07/2011 at 12:17
I've emailed the plan to you. It's dates are all wrong, as it was intended for another race - but interesting as a guide. There's some info/advice at the bottom of it too.
19/07/2011 at 13:42

Cheers for the responce Mr F

Purplepig, Would you email me the plan please?

cornwell3382@googlemail.com

I'm currently looking for one, possibly my first ultra - One question, I'm having real trouble persuading my wife to be that it's a good idea (we have one child almost two, and she thinks I'm mad) I have ran for over 10 years, done lot's of marathons, halfs and the rest - i'm very used to high milage weeks, but she just doesn't like the idea of this at al - any advice?

Really really like the sound of this event.

19/07/2011 at 14:03

Hi Chris,

Have emailed it to you. It's about 6 days a week running though, so quite a lot, but if you're used to doing lots of mileage it might be what you're after.

Here's another link, that I got from someone else...possibly on this forum actually. It looks far more doable to me.

http://www.erunningguide.com/running/100-mile-ultramarathon-training-program-first-timers

My mum's the one I'm dreading telling. Her  first comments will be about how she's woried about my knees in the future! I know she's right, but isn't it weird how you announce you're going to do a marathon, and everyone's really in awe and totally encouraging. You announce you're going to run an ultra and they roll their eyes at you as if you're just nuts. Hmm...maybe they have a point!!?

19/07/2011 at 14:05
oh, by the way Veggie..I've been a lurker on your tri site for a while, so it def works the other way too! I'll never do a tri though. I can't ride a bike, can't swim very well (unless doggy paddle counts!) and am not really that great a runner lol!! I'll stick to the lesser of 3 evils.
19/07/2011 at 14:08
Interestingly, the training plan I found is exactly the same as yours purple but exactly 6m less every single week. I just hope that I can stick to it, the 30 week plan I believe starts w/c 8th august
19/07/2011 at 14:09

Cheers purple pig, like the look of the one you emailed trough, I'm used to running 6-7 days a week.
Also found that link and i like the weekend runs, really long saturday, and a bit less sunday would suit me.

Fingers crossed I can talk the family around, really fancy a new challenge, bit done it with chasing down fast road race times......and yes I think to even contemplate it we must be a little unhinged.

Cheers
Chris

19/07/2011 at 14:52

That's funny Mr F..that's obviously meant to be the plan for you then! At least with 6 miles less a week you can take another day off to spend with the family

I'll jut use the plans as a guide, and not beat myself up if I don't follow it exactly. As others have said, other commitments mean it's not always possible. I'm really lucky that my partner is also a runner  - not into ultras - but very supportive.

Chris, not sure what to advise. Maybe cook her a nice meal and show her the training schedule after a couple of glasses of wine! If you're used to doing long training weeks, maybe get up a bit earlier to start the longer ones, so that it doesn't effect her anymore than when you did your mara training perhaps?

If that fails, maybe point out that there's a high risk you could get injured which would ultimately lead to more time at home? lol

19/07/2011 at 14:57
Ha ha.. sorry Chris...just realised it was actually you who put the link on for the other training schedule that I just potsed up!!
19/07/2011 at 15:51
No probs purplepig, think I'm going to enter, final negotiating tonight, so fingers crossed. Cheers for all the tips, wine and agree to the training plan could work.
19/07/2011 at 16:16
Good luck with that Chris. Let us know how you get on .
19/07/2011 at 17:05

Best of luck.

Her'es a plan I found, which I think i'll probably have a go with:

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-100m.asp

Still need to work out my kit and shoes for the thames path. Still umming and arring over doing the NDW50 in a few weeks, just not sure i'll cope!

19/07/2011 at 17:28

Hmm..I'm not sure about shoes either jellybaby. I have off roaders, but I tend to mainly use road shoes for everything, unless it's winter and running on muddy fields.

I have no idea what we'll need. It could be snowy even! Will you have a couple of pairs of shoes as well? For my 75 mile ultra, I just wore the same pair of road shoes for the whole thing. That was on farm tracks and trails. No mud or ice though!

19/07/2011 at 17:41
I take it jelly shoes are out of the question!

IL be taking road and trail shoes. Maybe change at a drop point of its needed?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.