Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

241 to 260 of 2,429 messages
19/07/2011 at 17:54
Jelly, that training plan is the same one that I got, except from a different website. It's the one I'm gonna have a go at!
Ultra AJH    pirate
19/07/2011 at 18:03

K.P. toes not bad was a bit painful during but I havent made it worse I dont think.

What I have done is irritate my sciatic nerve, however a sports therapist I met during the 10 in 10 has sent me a nice long list of exercises to do so hopefully I will be back running soon. I plan to swim only this week as I guess I did exert myself a bit on Sunday

Hello everybody  There are loads of posts since I came last. Ultra threads are normally dead quiet!

19/07/2011 at 22:26

Hi AJH,

Are you the person that did the challenge hub 50? If so, i did their 24 hr challenge in May. How did you get on? If that wasn't you, ignore me!!

Ultra AJH    pirate
20/07/2011 at 07:00
Yeah I did. Really enjoyed it. I haven't done the 24 but I have done a couple of the moonlight challenges.

I quite enjoy the laps.

Sounds like you had a great time at the 24
20/07/2011 at 07:39

I'd never run further than 30 miles before it (which was just in my training)  I loved it.

I thought Mike has it really well organised too.

Sorry to hear about your injuries. Keep going with the exercises...and probably very sensible heading to the pool this week after Sunday!

20/07/2011 at 09:57

hi people, wow this thread is really taking off now,

my foot is still hurting so am going to to just let it heal fully before getting going again  just want to run.

20/07/2011 at 09:59
Andy - you are doing the sensible thing (although we never like to think of it like that) by resting the foot. Can you do some core work or something to get that improved for when you are running again?
K.P
20/07/2011 at 10:36

Hi All,

Veggie, sounds like you built it up nicely then.  Don't think I'll be able to sustain that level of mileage this time round - maybe if I do another one afterwards...

Glad your toe is doing well AJH - just exerted yourself a bit!  Enjoy the swimming.

Hope your foot heals quickly Andy.

I'm going to work on devising my training plan  next week.  I think I'll be mixing a few plans together and fitting them in with my shifts.   Hopefully I'll come up with something sensible that will work I expect I'll have to be fairly flexible with it anyway as I've never done it before.

20/07/2011 at 12:41

KP

Flexibility is the key

Don't come up with something so presciptive that you end up beating yourself up if you miss a session or family stuff gets in the way

Plenty of months yet

20/07/2011 at 12:44
Good point veggieboy. I see many clients in my line of work who get quite distressed when they miss a couple of sessions as they feel it will be detrimental to their desired outcome, but sometimes life gets in the way and we have to work around the schedule. The one thing I try not to miss is my regular long run (which will become runs). Everything else I can mix up if I have to.
20/07/2011 at 20:01

I'm in, so hopefully the forum will stay nice and busy and we can all chip in to help each other when training gets tough. Hopefully see you all at the start and finish line.

Cheers for the help so far.

Edited: 20/07/2011 at 20:02
20/07/2011 at 20:09
I hope to see you all at the finish line!

How did the OH take it Chris?
20/07/2011 at 20:40
Hello Vixx76, Well it took alot of talking, but in the end I think I eased the fears. Think she thought that I would try to run the whole lot at my half/mara pace when I explained run/walk strategy she was much happier. So head down and get plenty of training done now. Got the Nottingham marathon next up, think I'll slow the tempo down and start increasing long runs now.

If you have any tips/training plans let me know. I'm after as much knowledge as possible at the moment.
20/07/2011 at 21:10
Chris - Robin Hood? That's my next after Thunder Run
20/07/2011 at 21:17
Evenin all. Bit of a running break for me this week now, right knee not right and I want it sorted before the 30 week programme starts! Nice to see a good group of us now forming, its gonna be tough fitting all the training in, especially when the temps freeze and we no doubt get snow etc! That aside its a fin journey and good to share thoughts and experiences.
The plan is up alongside my desk at work and has already been the basis of many funny looks!
20/07/2011 at 21:51

Mr F

You mention the snow. Last year when the snow was really bad, my other half saw me getting my bike gear ready for the next morning and said "don't be stupid, you can't possibly cycle 15 miles to work in this weather, you'll have to run instead"

It was funny at the time, and even funnier whenever I look back on it

I love running in the snow. Did the first 30 miles in Dec last year heading down the Thames Path from Richmond with a good covering of snow

20/07/2011 at 22:10
I've got some photos from the Thames path 50 in Jan 2008. At one point we were on a side road alongside the Thames park having been forced off due to floods. The field of runners are.all wading down the road waist height in water! IL tray and find a way of posting it, quite surreal especially only 7m into the race. My feet ended up mouldy and rotten by the end!
21/07/2011 at 08:21
Vixx76 yeah - Robin hood marathon, looking forward to it, it's a nice course.
Mr f, it would be cracking to see some pics - hope you can get them posted.
21/07/2011 at 08:47

Hmm, I think that's my biggest fear..snow! I have run in snow before, but only short training runs. Would you wear trail shoes for snow for better grip?.

Mr F, that sounds horrendous!!  I agree it'd be great to see pics. Hope yr knee recovers soon!

Chris, glad you managed to persuade her. Did you go for the wine option in the end?

Veggie, I can't imagine running 30 miles in snow> Think if it snows, it'll be game over for me.

21/07/2011 at 13:53
Chris - did the Half last year. Was down for the full, but had a bad back so dropped down as I didn't know if my back would cope with more hills. You can imagine how gutted I was when someone told me after I had finished that the second half was flat!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.