Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

261 to 280 of 2,429 messages
21/07/2011 at 14:39

Here's a video I found from the Thames path 50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0HRXkX0Dzg

Not sure I'd fancy doing another 90 miles after this! Only managed 6 miles so far this week (tuesday) but going to try and squeeze a few in tonight and tomorrow, then got a 15k walk/pub crawl in the shire on saturday. I'd like to say i'll do some on sunday but i suspect if i do it'll be short and a run/walk!

21/07/2011 at 15:02
OMG Jellybaby! I didn't realise I might need my wetsuit!!
21/07/2011 at 17:05
That looks like the year I did it! awesome!
K.P
21/07/2011 at 20:49
Hi all,
blimey, I hope it's not like that in March - I'd considered the possibility of snow/ice but oddly didn't consider water!

I've got used to being flexible with my training as work can often get in the way. That's another reason why I like to use my commute for training - it's kind of protected time as I have to get there & back, regardless of the time. Like to have some kind of loose plan though, helps me focus, & I want to keep up my swimming over winter so want some kind of plan to incorporate the sessions, there's no flexibility with their times.

Purple, I did quite a few long runs in the snow last year, they were actually really enjoyable. I wore my off road shoes & the grip was great. Don't like running on ice though and tended to avoid that by using a treadmill or sticking to laps of the local playing fields, not so enjoyable, but I felt a lot safer & I had no falls.

I'm also doing Robin Hood. Did it last year & have done the half a couple of times before as well.
22/07/2011 at 07:53

Hi KP. Yes, I'm def going to have to practice in the snow if we get any!

Can anyone reccommend a particular type of off road shoe that is particularly good for grip? I haven't got much experience of them, as I have a pair but they are really in betweeners for runs that incorporate both road and off. In the 3 years I've been running I've mainly stuck to the roads. I have moved to Swanage in Dorset now though, and it's so beautiful, I just love to get onto those coastal paths!!

22/07/2011 at 08:12
Purple, i love dorset and am sown there in the motor home next week! Your so lucky being near the Jurassic coast. Hengisbury head is a favourite of ours. Worth a visit if you haven't been yet. Great walking, a hikers cafe and a road train back!

Shoes have been mentioned a few times. It's a close call apparently between road and trail, bit I'm gonna opt for one of each. Start with one and the second pair cam go in my drop bag I guess the weather in.the week before the event will be the deciding factor! Inov8 do some excellent trail shoes, and I've got lots of theory kit. Really good quality
22/07/2011 at 08:24

Hi Mr F. Yes I did one of my trainig runs for my ultra earlier this year along Bournemouth prom to Hengitsbury Head and back. Been living here a year now, and feel like the luckiest girl alive. Regular club runs take us to Corfe castle, Kimmeridge,up to Old Harry Rocks (which is a 3 mile run from my house) or along the Jurassic coast to dancing ledge etc. Have to make the most of it!!

Enjoy your holiday next week!

I'm going to have a look at trail shoes and see if I can persuade my OH that I need some to do my winter training in

How the hell did you manage with all that water on your 50 miler? And how did you know what was flooding and what was deep river water??

22/07/2011 at 08:51

Purplepig

Very jealous of you living there

As to shoes, ionv8's are great but come up a bit narrow for some people- I've got roclite 315, 319 and 320 and love them all

But most of my trail running I do in Adidas Supernova Riots which have excellent grip and a fair amount of cushioning which I find I need if there is up to 15% on road/pavement

22/07/2011 at 09:07
IL take a look at those veggie thanks.

I'm struggling to get my photos up, but I've for some really good ones especially where the path and the river itself is one so you can't see what's under foot! That's when we were diverted off down the country lanes maybe il get them up on Facebook as they are too big in size to upload to here.
22/07/2011 at 13:09

Thanks for the shoe advice Veggie..I'll take a list in to the shop when I go!!

MrF thanks for emailing the photo of the flooding...that's one way to ice your legs!  Oohh please don't let us have floods!

22/07/2011 at 13:53
Pp, that's serious water eh! Gortex shoes aren't going to be much use there!
In terms of new shoes, my failure to update my road shoes recently has been a big factor in an old knee injury rearing its ugly head. Maybe sell it to your OH as a way of your personal welfare being talent care of? Injured runners are miserable and frustrated, and in form runners are happier and more contented! Fact!
22/07/2011 at 17:54
The supernova riots look a bit similar to my current Kanidas from Adidas. Not a bad looking shoe! My local shop is a stockist so IL go try em out. Cheers! Off to work on nights this weekend so no training for me till at least monday
22/07/2011 at 20:37

Kanadias are a very different shoe

The Riots have more cushioning and the sole is continental rubber which is much harder wearing

22/07/2011 at 22:50
thanks veggieboy - have been looking for an excuse for new shoes, and Thunder Run didn't seem much of an excuse - I used that last year....
23/07/2011 at 14:34
Afternoon people. Hope we are having a good weekend? Anyone got any races or lsr's planned? I've just got up and am icing my knee during a power cut. Very exciting. It's like surround sound house alarms all going off around me!
24/07/2011 at 07:33

Hi.I did the Swanage Half marathon last weekend and  I've got 'The Beast 'but not till the 4th September. Never done that one before, but I think it sounds dreadful! Anyone been up Houns Tout before? If you have you'll know what I mean as thats part of the race. Its 13 miles off road. Ive run in that area before and walked up Houns tout...hmmm should be interesting!

Mr F, hope you're managing to hold that niggling knee off!  You don't want to be hobbling around during your hols next week!

Edited: 24/07/2011 at 07:35
24/07/2011 at 15:20

Hi Mr F, Did 19m today, 13m lsr, then ran the local 10k race after it, nice to mix up the paces. Next one for me will be the Nottingham Marathon 11th sept ( nice course, looking forward to that one) think there are a few on the thread doing this one. Any one made any disisions on training plans yet? 

24/07/2011 at 15:54
Chris, good going! I'm going to do my best to stick to the plan pp forwarded, at least as much as I can anyway! Will ensure I stick to the long and back to back runs and will just in as much of the other bits in as possible, probably swopping some of the shorter ones for a bit of off road cycling it time on the cross trainer. That should keep things varied and hopefully keep injuries at bay! Think that 30 week programme starts 8th aug?
24/07/2011 at 16:15
Mr f, think I've decided on the same training plan, going to try to follow the weekend runs as close as possible, I will have to keep it flexible in the week with work and a young family. Have you got any races planned in? Yes it's 30 weeks starting aug 8th that makes it seem close...
Edited: 24/07/2011 at 16:28
24/07/2011 at 16:18
Mr f, think I've decided on the same training plan, going to try to follow the weekend runs as close as possible, I will have to keep it flexible in the week with work and a young family. Have you got any races planned in? Yes it's 30 weeks starting aug 8th that makes it seem close...
Edited: 24/07/2011 at 16:19
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.