Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

301 to 320 of 2,473 messages
26/07/2011 at 14:31

Thanks PP,  lets hope it doesn't take me until Christmas to recover. I fully anticipate being in a lot of discomfort by the end as it has 10500ft of ascent in it (as well as 10500ft of descent, which by the end will probably hurt even more)

At least after today I will be tapering and so can give my body a bit of a chance to recover after giving it a bit of a bashing

In last 15 days I've done just over 200 miles of which 50 have been in the last 2 days. All wearing race gear and carrying a backpack heavier than it should be on race day

I've also given up caffeine until as late as possible in the race

I thought about giving up beer and wine for a month but decided that really would be extreme

Ultra AJH    pirate
26/07/2011 at 18:16

17 days

Sooner than I thought.

I will see you there then. Even though I wont know who you are

26/07/2011 at 19:27
You'll recognise me - I'll be wearing a green     tritalk     cycle top
Ultra AJH    pirate
27/07/2011 at 05:46
Aha. I will probably be wearing a top with 10 marathons in 10 days on the back, or a blue JW Ultra vest
27/07/2011 at 10:54
Good luck with upcoming race, but I must say that your crazy for entering a 100 miler. That's a bloody long way you know, you could get blisters and everything!

Work totally dictating my complete lack of training this week apart from a 2mile jog with my 8yr old boy!
27/07/2011 at 11:15

when's your holiday Mr F?

Perhaps you can get some running in along Bournemouth prom, whilst the family are on the beach!

Ok, so I think Ive narrowed down my trail shoe search (after HOURS of internet searching!!) to 3 pairs. Just finding out now if any local shops stock them so I can try them on.

They are Salamon Speedcross 2, Roclite 268, Inov8 Mudclaw 333

Think posssibly Veggieboy mentioned he's used the roclites. Anyone else got anything to add or views on these shoes?

27/07/2011 at 13:17
I thought the mud claws were for serious odd road? I'm thinking a much leaner trail show for this, not too far from a road show really with just that extra bit of grip whilst still remaining super comfy. Head down on 3rd, first stop womborne!
27/07/2011 at 14:24
Yes , sorry should have explained better. I already have some in betweeners for what we're doing, but through the winter I want to get some training in some serious mud and snow (if we get any!)
27/07/2011 at 14:34
Wombourne?
27/07/2011 at 17:57
Dorset - or is it wimbourne?!
27/07/2011 at 18:11

Wimborne! I knew what you meant lol

We do a 10 mile race there in November.

27/07/2011 at 18:57
Wombourne is by me, hence the wondering....

How are you both today?
27/07/2011 at 20:15
It's ok, I've lost the plot. Lack of sleep! I actually meant Moor
s Valley Country Park. I'm ok thanks vixx, just tired! Desperate for a run and a good leg stretch! Have you been doing much? Ankle still ok?
27/07/2011 at 20:54

Finally plucked up the courage and asked my long standing partner of 20+ years the burning question. And she said yes! Had been working on DIY projects all day so judged the timing was right.

Also back into the training again properly and niggles and tiredness finally seem to be over after the WHW ultra 6 weeks ago. Another 5 weeks till next ultra so hoping to get back to 50 + miles/week after gradually getting the miles and the speed back. Also back from Thailand which helps as it was too hot there for long runs. No chance of getting to 100 mile / week which is what I should be on but never mind - not going to push it.

Hoping that everyones racing and training going well? Look forward to seeing you all in March if not before.

28/07/2011 at 08:09
Congrats! Sounds like your training is goin well too! BUsy weekend coming up so hopefully by Monday I might het out for a.run. not too concerned though as this enforced rest seems too have been good for my knee. Hopefully when the plan kicks in with new shoes there will ne no more problems!
28/07/2011 at 08:39

Morning all. I'm good thanks Vixx.

Congratulations HH. 

OMG your training schedule sounds gruelling! Obviously well seasoned ultra runner.

My club run last night was ghastly! I've just gone up a group, and spend the whole session chasing the group round. It's like a hard race! I need to stick with it though because I'm sure it's helping me improve. The group below was great, but found myself chit chatting with the girls instead of working hard.

28/07/2011 at 14:58

Congratulations HH: I got married this year and it's brilliant fun - try and be more involved than the 'average' man, it's your day too!

Well, I got an excellent trail run in at the weekend by accident - meant to go out for an hour or so, which I duly did; however, I was running straight out and then obviously needed to go back. Ended up with a 2hour run through the fields and bridlepaths of rural oxfordshire (was staying with a mate's folks), it was brilliant. Did this in my VFFs, and my calves were a bit sore for a couple of days, but as I've not done more than about an hour in them this was to be expected. Managed a couple of miles yesterday, but have been horrendously busy at work all week so nothing else.

I've bitten the bullet and gone for a pair of Roclite 319s. I figure that over 100 miles, even with weekly runs in the VFFs my form will probably get worse and i'll require a bit more support. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that those paths could be quite sticky at that time of year (they are) so a decent sole will be useful.

Might head down to Staines on saturday afternoon and run up to marlow to see the in-laws, then try and head up from there for a bit, as I have no idea about the trail after hurley (just before henley) and it would eb nice to know where it goes before the actual day!

28/07/2011 at 18:54
Look forward to the reports!
29/07/2011 at 11:50

Married? - I'm already married. The question was can I run in the TP100? She relented after I said that no support was needed. I think she's a bit scarred by the emotional trauma associated with previous long races!

Got an old school friend who lives in Henley to support me from about half way. Should be good.

I've got race number 123. Easy to remember. Race is filling up fast.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend. Someone must have a long or interesting race on? 

Ultra AJH    pirate
29/07/2011 at 12:11

Not me.

Thought I might try 10 miles tomorrow, as I am getting bored of not really running. Have had a bit of PF so need to go careful.

I shall be doing registration at my tri clubs OW session. But that's not all that exciting

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.