Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

321 to 340 of 2,429 messages
29/07/2011 at 18:10
Had my gait analysis today and am a fairly neutral runner apart from a minute deviatin with my right foot. Have now got some posh sparkling kayano 17s as a high mileage shoe for the next 6 months training. Will pick some trail shoes up I'm the new year to wear them I'm sufficiently before race weekend
31/07/2011 at 17:39
New shoes! Me too..got my new off roaders ordered.  I did a 15.5 mile hilly offroader yesterday, covering some of the parts of "The Beast"..13 mile off road race run near Corfe Castle in September. Anyone done it before?
31/07/2011 at 21:55

Just back from a 4 day break in Cornwall on the Lizard

Someone once said to me that if you can run for an hour on the Coastal Path without having to walk uphill or downhill then you are in the shape of your life or you have misread the map

I now know what they mean

Fantastic fun but running 3 days in a row was a real struggle - loved every minute

Does bodyboarding all day with the kids count as "active recovery"

01/08/2011 at 09:07

Veggie...aren't you supposed to be tapering now?!!

01/08/2011 at 11:04

Hi all 

I have just entered this one ,It will be my first ultra and hopefully not my last.

I have enjoyed reading  your posts still working my way through them .
01/08/2011 at 12:39
Hi all

Setback at the Thunder Run means that now my OTHER ankle is scuppered (but not as badly as the other one was). I had to retire after only 2 laps, after tripping in a pothole after 0.4 miles on lap 1.

I am gutted at letting my team down, but am putting together a plan to come back stronger.....

How's everyone?

Sounds like you had a good weekend veggieboy.

Welcome valisgonzozen
01/08/2011 at 13:11

I had a great weekend thanks - that was my hill training !

I am now tapering so 15miles Tuesday, 20 miles Thursday then 15 miles next Monday is all the running I have left to do. Nothing planned for this coming weekend

It will be easy cycles to work on the other weekdays until next Wednesday (50km round trip) and then 2 complete days of rest

Sorry to hear about your ankle Vixx - heal strong

01/08/2011 at 13:24

Oh poor you Vixx! Hope you get it sorted soon as.

Hi Valisgonzozen...wow, had to really concentrate when I typed that!! I did my first ultra in May just gone. I'm sure you'll get the bug!

01/08/2011 at 20:21

hi again just call me Valis everyone else on other threads does.

10 mile run planned for the morning .

Heal fast Vixx

01/08/2011 at 20:44
Thanks Valis
02/08/2011 at 06:45
Mornin valis and welcome!

Vixx, really sorry to hear about your ankle. You must be gutted. Hope it recovers qwll!
02/08/2011 at 09:05
Good day to you all. There seems to be some good advice going around on here. There are a couple of things that I would point to as important, by no means is this everything but they are things I have found out for myself over the years:

1. Mileage is not everything. The training plan I wrote and which seems to have been circulated and perhaps even posted elsewhere in a different guise, is a very rough guide. Many get by on half of the mileage I have put down, some do twice the amount. Cross training is equally as important, if your body is not used to it and you start packing in 70 mile+ weeks you will likely pull up with injuries along the way. If you are tired, rest. If you get niggles, get the bike out instead and take the impact away. Above all the back to back long runs are the most important sessions.

2. Rest and recover properly in your training. Running tired is a useful technique occasionally as you will be running many miles tired during the race, however it also leads to injuries. Listen to your body.

3. And this is the biggest one.... Practice walking in training. Have a strategy. Pat Robbins broke the CR at the GUCR145 this year and was almost dead last after 10 miles. He runs 25 and walks 5 - and never stops. He conserves enough at the beginning to be able to push the same pace at the end.

4. Eat and drink during your training, like you will during the race. You should aim to try and consume 300Kcal at hour at a minimum. This race avoids (hopefully!) extremes in temperatures, hills of any nature and difficult navigation. You should be able to focus well on nutrition and hydration.

Any questions please give me a shout at racedirector@centurionrunning.com . There are many first time 100 milers signed up, indeed the vast majority, so many of you on here are not alone!

Thanks

James
02/08/2011 at 11:54
Thanks James - that's really useful info. Nice to see you following us too!
Ultra AJH    pirate
02/08/2011 at 12:05

See, 25, 5 is the way to go.

i knew it!!!!

02/08/2011 at 13:13
Nah, it's all about the 9:1 strategy for me. Will have a bit of a practice with it tonight on my way home the long way round
02/08/2011 at 16:35
Hi all,

Just entered this and am now very scared. I've never run further than a marathon before. I was going to, but then got sucked into the world of triathlon!

Have read through all the posts quickly. I am going to have a lot to learn and will need lots of advice no doubt.

One of my main worries is injury. Think I am going to have to do less mileage than most and lots of cross-training. Good to hear that not everyone is going to be doing 100 mile plus training weeks.

Vixx, hope the ankle heals quickly.

sar
02/08/2011 at 17:15
9:1 works good too jellybaby! First couple of 100s I did ended up being 14 hours running 8 hours walking in that order. Not a very nice way to finish and should be avoided if possible!
02/08/2011 at 17:38
Thank you for the kind wishes everyone - my ankle is definitely not as bad as when I did the right one at the Lightning Run, so am hoping that it'll settle down quickly. Am not in any pain, so am hoping to do some cross-training soon.

How is everyone else doing?
02/08/2011 at 19:11

just lurking.

02/08/2011 at 22:27
Hello all, vixx hope the ankle is ok, nothing worse than a lay off, only just getting back from one myself. 9:1 sounds like a good break down to me. 10x10, seems more manageable broken down into sections. Anyone been putting any miles in yet? Will anybody be planning on running in groups? Could be a long lonely trail...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.