Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

341 to 360 of 2,429 messages
03/08/2011 at 00:28
Hi all, sadly not.run all week as I seem to be either working, sleeping or looking after 3 kids! Last day at work tomorrow, just in time for the start of the 30 week plan.

Sarah, welcome aboard!
03/08/2011 at 08:23

Hi Sarah,

Don't worry! You may have read my original posting (page 12 I think), and seen that in May I did my first ultra. I had only run marathon distance before that too (and only done one marathon!) I trained to 30 miles for my ultra (which I planned to try and run 52 miles - but ended up doing 75..as it was a timed event rather than distance)

I certainly won't be doing 100 mile weekly mileage either, and probably won't be able to do too much cross training!  I am trying to work on core strength and upper body strength at home at the moment, so hopefully that will help. I'm going to mix my training up a bit i think...some long back to back days, then other times one longer day on it's own. Some road, some cross country, speed and hills..the whole lot, just to vary it and build up some strength. I'll use the training plan that James sent me as a guide though. I'm more concerned about the nightime section. I have a partner who could run with me for part of it, but def not the whole section! need to try and find someone else I think.

03/08/2011 at 08:25
oops..forgot to say Mr F, enjoy Dorset!!  If you're down before Friday (this week) the Red Arrows are performing over Swanage Bay at 6pm. Good point to watch from is up on the Ballard Downs if you're around.  Huge brownie points with the kids...and free!!
03/08/2011 at 12:10

Well, a nice 11.5 mile run home last night practicing the 9:1 strategy, which gave me a nice average of 5.6mph, which will hopefully be nice and sustainable over longer distances once I've got a bit more training under my belt. Definitely had a lot more in the tank.

Purplepig, we're allowed pacers from 50 miles I think, which is at Marlow, but unless you;re very speedy you'll have to do a bit of night stuff on your own/with other participants

03/08/2011 at 13:22
hmmm. well, speedy I aint!! Oh well, just have to be brave
03/08/2011 at 14:23
Purplepig, I'm worried about the nighttime bit too, so you're not alone there.

Have a good holiday Mr F.

Just getting back into training this week after being ill again last week. All feeling like a bit of a struggle at the moment, but don't think the heat is helping. Got physio tonight too which is good timing as my knee has started playing up again
04/08/2011 at 12:49
I worried about the night time , but you will find other people doing your pace + you'll see all the headlight bobbing in front and behind . Should be a good race , just hope there is no snow - that does not appeal at all .
04/08/2011 at 15:43
I seem to have somehow developed bloody plantar bastarditis - any ideas how to deal with it swiftly?
05/08/2011 at 09:07

Great new name for it!! Oh bum Jelly...that's a bugger to sort isn't it!

Here is a link I found that gives some advice on strengthening the foot with this condition. Maybe nothing you don't already know, but worth a look.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4865584_heal-plantar-fasciitis-fast.html

05/08/2011 at 21:30

Hi all,

Entered this last week- will be my first 100 miler.

Anyone doing a warmup race? I am considering the Country to Capital on 14th Jan (45 miles).

Did the Thames Trot 50 in Feb from Oxford to Henley (last 50 miles of TP100). It was flat except for one hill and was an easy route to follow- great race. The only downside was that the ground was very uneven, so tread carefully to avoid twisted ankles!

I wore my normal Nikes and it was fine. They got caked in mud, but so did anyone wearing trail shoes, so I would wear whatever's comfortable.

Steve.

06/08/2011 at 08:38

Hi Steve

I did Thames Trot this year as well in 9:09 and like you thought it was a great race. Yes it was muddy and my trail shoes did get clogged up.

The section from Henley to Oxford is the bit that will be run at night so its good to have run that part before. I've also done the first 20 miles from Richmond as I live in Teddington and that part should be quick and easy

Looking at the results I am assuming that you are Steve Thompson - if so are you the one who did 8:09 or the one who did 9:39?

Edited: 06/08/2011 at 08:38
07/08/2011 at 13:39
Good time for a 50 miler veggieboy.

I'm hoping to recce the last 50 at some point but logistics a bit complex being in Scotland.

What is meant by uneven? Rooty and bounldery? Or just compacted earth? I've never been on any of the route so no ideas.

Slowly getting back to running form. Did a great 12 miler in Holland on Thursday. Included a free ferry trip to cross a big canal. Very flat! Now in Alaska and jet lagged to oblivion! Will get a run in later once I've picked up some bear spray. Got a 4 day sea kayak lined up after a week of work.
07/08/2011 at 13:48
Blimey Hillheader - you certainly cover some distance! Sounds like the sea kayaking will be fun!
08/08/2011 at 02:24
Jelly baby. Are you planning on pacer from half way? The same person or a relay team? Anyone else having a pacer? I have one supporter lined up but not a runner. Too far for family and friends to travel.

Chill out day today after yesterday's 23 hrs on the move. Tempo 6 miler this afternoon through the earthquake park. Views over Cook inlet to a volcano in the distance (70 miles away). Pretty cool! Flying up to a place called Deadhorse tomorrow.

Went to an outdoor shop this afternoon. Was tempted by a running hat with integrated head torch. Good idea but tiny battery so reckoned wouldn't be much good for TP? Did get lots of bargain priced GU gels and Nuun tablets though.
Edited: 08/08/2011 at 02:26
K.P
08/08/2011 at 15:57

Hi all,

I've not been at my fittest since Outlaw.  I had a fantastic day and far exceeded my expectations on the swim and the bike.  The first 13 miles of the marathon were great too and I actually thought I would finish in under 13 hours, but then I developed a pain in my knee that got worse and worse until I could barely walk.  I ended up walking most of the way to the end and finished with my slowest ever marathon time, but I still beat my original target so overall I was happy.  However, the knee pain lasted for a couple of days and then the pain in my thigh came back.  I've been running and cycling but didn't run until this morning.  I only did 3.5 miles but it was nice to finally do something.  I went to the physio again today and it's all linked to the muscles in my lower back pressing on a nerve.  I should be ok to run within my pain barriers, unfortunately I don't know where they are at the moment. Guess I'll just have to start adding a few miles on each run and see how it goes.  I was meant to be doing the Newark half on Sunday but not sure if it would be wise to jump up to 13 miles that quickly, but I won't know until I try, just have to think about it this week and see how a couple of longer runs go.  I have to start working my seriously neglected core muscles too.

How are your injuries Vixx, Jelly Baby and Sarah?  Hope you have a good holiday Mr F and get some nice runs in.  How's the tapering Veggieboy, are you feeling good to go?

08/08/2011 at 20:44

Well done KP - Outlaw is on my list for next year

Taper is going well thanks - rested all weekend then ran a fast 10 miles this morning and now just got a couple of bike commutes and 2 days complete rest to go

Feeling really nervous but nothing more I can do now

09/08/2011 at 10:06
Good luck for your race veggieboy.

Hillheader, not sure about pacers right now. Might see if some of my running friends can help out towards the end, but might be a problem logistically.

KP, how is your leg now? My knee/leg is still playing up a bit. Am trying to keep on top of it with stretching etc. Well done for Outlaw. I'm thinking of doing it next year too, but not sure if my swimming and biking will be good enough at that point. It's the beginning of July next year.

Vixx, how's your ankle?
09/08/2011 at 12:03

Hi all i have just entered this race. Did the Cardiff ultra 50 back in May and really enjoyed that. 100 miles is a different story though. Have loads of questions to ask you guys over the next few months.

Anybody live remotely near Cardiff who would consider an extra passenger. More than happy to pay all expenses as would rather that then having to stay over the night before.

Don't as yet have a pacer (none of my mates would consider running 10 miles never lone 50!!!!)

So much to think about that i think i will start writing down queries from here on in to allay my fears.

I'm running the Wye Valley marathon at the beginning of September which should be good practice as its alot of trail running.

Hope everyones training is going well and look forward to getting to know you guys over the forthcoming months. Take care all x

09/08/2011 at 13:04

Hi Vicky, welcome to the forum!

I think my partner may be up to pacing me for part of it but prob not more than 20 miles.

I don't do biking or swimming - just running for me. Well, I swim inthe sea and kayak occasionally but not seriously, just for fun. Trying to work on core strength now.  Just post all your worries here, that's the good thing about it, we can all help each other through our training.

09/08/2011 at 13:31
Great report KP. Well done.

Welcome to Vicky. Cardiff 50 sounds good.

Hoping for a hill run later today? Heavy rain at moment but still only 0430.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.