Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

361 to 380 of 2,473 messages
09/08/2011 at 14:02
Welcome to the forum Vicky. I'm going to have lots of questions too.

I was going to go to my run club tonight, but am heading back home in case of more rioting. Might just stay in tonight and turbo instead of running.
09/08/2011 at 15:14
Afternoon all

I managed a 2.5 mile run yesterday and a nearly 3 mile walk this afternoon, and ankle isn't as swollen, nor it is it aching, so am going to perhaps do some rebound work this afternoon and see how that goes.

How is everyone?
09/08/2011 at 15:30

Hi Vixx. That's good news. Fingers crossed it continues to improve!

I've been out for a few shorter runs this week, and trying to work on those dreaded planks at home! I reckon my core must be pretty weak!

When's everyone starting their training schedules? Mine's a 24 week one so towards the end of Sept. The 30 weekers must be starting now mustn't they?

09/08/2011 at 15:44
Great news Vixx.

Which schedule are you using Purplepig? I'm going to be a bit delayed starting as I am doing a HIM in 3 weeks, so will need some recovery time after that and then am going on hols late September for 11 days, so will be start of october really for me. Am trying to pick my running up a bit in the meantime though and am in better shape from training for a HIM than when I used to just run. Think I might go out next weekend and see how far I can get doing a run/walk to assess what shape I am in.
09/08/2011 at 19:52
I took 4 schedules, look at pros and cons, and what I could realisticly fit in, then picked one and adjusted it!! There's a couple of links already on this thread. I'm happy to email you the schedule that the organiser's sent me if you like. I found it was too demanding for me, but worth lookingat and maybe adapting.
K.P
09/08/2011 at 21:01

Hi all,

Went out on the bike for a few hours today.  Planning to cycle to work tomorrow and then run home.  If I go the shortest route it'll be just under 7 miles, so hopefully it will be pain free.  If not - it's on a bus route!

Veggieboy, it sounds like you've prepared really well, I'm sure you'll have a great run and those nerves will come in handy on the day.  Glad to hear you're back running Vixx, hopefully it'll be improvement all the way from here.

Purple I know what you mean about a weak core, mine is shocking.  I've done two lots of my exercises today with one more to go.  I threw in a few planks and other such exercises last night - I was shaking like a leaf!  Still, if it gets me running again it'll be worth it.

Sarah, which HIM are you doing?  I'm quite tempted by the Full Boar middle distance as a final run out this season, but it all depends on how things go over the next couple of weeks I guess.  I can't reccommend the Outlaw highly enough, it was really well organised and a great day.  It's the 1st July next year and I think I'm going to go back and hopefully finish under 13 hours this time.

I've devised my training plan from a mix of a few, my shift pattern and ensuring I keep up my swimming with some cycling.  It's very loose and subject to change though!

Have a good week all.

09/08/2011 at 21:27

Hi,

I did 9.39 veggieboy. Was quite happy with that but slowed a lot in the last 5-10 miles.

09/08/2011 at 22:05

good time Steve

It was a great day, and that cake was fantastic

10/08/2011 at 06:16
9:39 is indeed a good time. Well done.

I'm still on this years events schedule so can't start TP training yet! 2 ultras and 1 normal marathon to go. Small ultras though if that makes sense? About to start taper next week for 1st one.

Great hill run tonight - 5000ft of ascent so pretty tough. Rainy and misty until near the top when the rain turned to snow. Met no one except a bear (about 100m away).

Anyone doing the Downs 100 miler this weekend? Sounds fun but tough?

Hope we don't get a report of bus usage today KP? Have fun!
10/08/2011 at 08:36

Hillheader

I'm doing North Downs Way 100 this weekend

Will be my first 100 miler. Furthest to date was L2B last year - meant to be 56 miles but ended up at 58 due to slight navigational "issues"

Just praying that it won't be too hot and won't be too wet

Got absolutely no idea of a target time as its completely unknown territory, but will be happy to finish and acstatic at anything under 28 hours.

As the course is hilly I will be running the flats/ undulations/downs and walking the uphills for as long as I can 

10/08/2011 at 09:20
Purplepig, the organiser sent me the schedule thanks. It's too much for me too, so will be looking to cut it down a bit but keeping the back to back runs at the weekend.

KP, I'm doing the Vitruvian. Hope the run home tonight goes well and you don't end up on the bus.

Good luck again Veggieboy. Hope the weather behaves for you.
10/08/2011 at 17:15

Go Veggie Go!! 

Best of luck for the weekend.

11/08/2011 at 18:32

Hello there!

I have never run in UK (except when tryin to catch a flight to Helsinki in Heathrow...), but Thames Path 100 looks so cool that I decided to check it out. I will probably take a flight to London on Friday, and try to find a hotel in SW London with good connections to Richmond. Any suggestions?

And what about Sunday morning? If I finish the race in about 20 hours, what would be the best way to get back to the hotel? Running back to Richmond is not an option...

Edited: 11/08/2011 at 18:33
11/08/2011 at 19:00
trains go from Oxford to Reading where you can change to Richmond.
12/08/2011 at 19:19
Hi all. Lots to catch to on, and plenty of new entrants according tobthe website! Great week away in dorset and then a few nights at longleat. The 30 week programme is now live and 14m for me tomorrow. Purple pig, have you ever run up stonebarrow hill on the outskirts of charmouth? Wow. That's one hell of a hill. If its not too far look it to, leads out onto part of the south jurrasic coast walk.

Hope everyone is good and training well?
13/08/2011 at 08:51
Funninly enough Mr F, we were at Charmouth, (fossil  hunting) only yesterday. Haven't run up the hill though! There are lots of very hilly runs around here, there's really no getting away from it. In a few weeks we have "The Beast" race, whih is about 12 miles off road of hill after hill. Hmmm..not lookig forward to that one! Glad you had a good holiday, and managed to get some running in!
13/08/2011 at 10:48
14m done, and another 8 to do tomorrow. Hoping that they will get easier! Not sure if IL be doing all of the week day shorter runs, but definitely aiming to do the weekend back to backs. I wonder how its a going in the BSQ? really looking forward to veggieboys stories!
14/08/2011 at 06:46
I love running in Dorset. I go there once a year with work staying near wareham. The ridge from lullworth to corfe is a favourite. No massive hills but they add up for sure.

A 12 mile run for me today. No bears but a few moose. Kayak trip for 4 days from tomorrow.

Corner. Welcome. The train station is very close to the finish I believe.

Wonder how NDW goes?
14/08/2011 at 07:19
The centurion website has excellent real time updates. Very impressive!
Ultra AJH    pirate
14/08/2011 at 08:46
Hope veggieboy is doing ok.

I will assume I saw him yesterday as I did the 50.

Lovely scenic course, but boy it was hard work!!!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.