Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

21 to 40 of 2,429 messages
12/06/2011 at 16:41
Right. Seriously considering this as my first 100. Website looks very professional, entry fee very reasonable, but can my legs do it! Hmmmmmmm
12/06/2011 at 18:35

Mr Immune I've personally not run all night though I have left for work at 5 in the morning numerous times and always love (when it happens) the sun rising. Anyhow for me this is a massive draw the thought of running all night a must do experience!!!!

17/06/2011 at 12:26
Right, I'm entered!

Louis, night running is a surreal experience. Mind wanders all over the place! Awesome.

Just the small matter ofbtraining now to hit the 30hr Target time!
17/06/2011 at 17:41
Just reading through previous comments and Mr immune gives very sound advice. I share your thoughts exactly re the sleep monsters!
21/06/2011 at 23:55

eeeeeeek i`ve entered too.

whats the longest training run you need to do before it. sort of like a benchmark.

also is my previous longest run of 30.00miles at 8.34pace any use on this sort of race preparation.

22/06/2011 at 13:55

My biggest problem with entering this race is trying to persuade the wife that I'll be OK. Just completed the WHW with wife (and others) as support. She was brilliant but scarred by the physical and mental anguish. Doesn't help when at two checkpoints, she saw 2 runners collapse unconcious.

On the flip side, being a bit slower than previously, I managed to run through 2 nights without any sleep problems. Speaking with various others on this and other events, they agree that sleep is the least of your problems. You'll be tired / exhausted but not sleepy.

Wondering about doing this race without support. Will the checkpoint crew be able to manage things like popping blisters? I'd also need to be set up to change shoes and top at the bag drops at least.

An essential item at each check point needs to be milk! Found it brilliant at settling a dodgy stomach. Strange.

Andy, I'd try to get up to at least 40 miles, ideally 50. Try find find a 50 mile ultra for the Autumn? Good pace for a 30 mile run though.

22/06/2011 at 17:21
I'm aiming for 50 along the TP in January and a few other long ones.

Will the checkpoint staff be able to pop blisters? Christ, I don't thing anyone would go anywhere near my feet during this run!!

The sleep thing is just surreal. I did the 24he thunder run last summer and I'm sure I was sleeping some of it. Adds to the fun don't you think?

As they say, if it was easy then everyone would do it.
23/06/2011 at 22:49

Hill header, the advice is much is much appreciated. i have yet to do a night run due to lack of confidence. i have done a run/walk 5:1 od 5 an a bit hours in duration. what point would you say a night run is the next step in training. also i have a 40miler in september hopefully yhis could be a usefull 40miler experience ready for the thames path 100. your thoughts appreciated no matter what they are. Thanks.

24/06/2011 at 06:54
Andy is your 40 in sept the ultra peaks race or the high peak 40? I'm hopefully doing that too.

I wouldn't push for a big night run till early next year. I like the night sections, I strangely enjoy it when it gets dark, you want to stop and the doubt creeps into your brain and you ask why the help you signed up for this race! It's them I get some music on and try and get myself into a good pattern till sunrise. Useful to train with a head torch though, as can be a bit strange especially in pitch darkness. That's one thing I'd make sure you spend well on. I've got a petzel tillage plus and its really effective but think there are some newer ones our now
24/06/2011 at 11:54

Mr F the 40miler is the High Peak 40. ye it`d be good to see someone there like yourself who has soom been there done that type experience.

okay i`ll leave the night run for a bit then.

although i remember when i first got my vibrams delivered as soon as i got home from work i went straight out on a night run of about an hour in duration. and yes it really was magical. Very soon after that run, literally the morning after i bought a Petzl Tikka head torch an ent on a few Fell runs in the dark. this was all last winter though, so it was the only way to get runs in. loved it though.

24/06/2011 at 12:25
Just looked at the hp40 website, its dreadful!
Any idea how much entries are? I should be free that weekend
24/06/2011 at 14:39

I agree about the night sections. Worry about that nearer the time. There's plenty of winter before the race where night running is essential (at least if, like me, you live in the middle of the country). Head torches are worth investigating rather than just popping down to a camping shop. Many are not bright enough - need at least 70 Lumens, but some of the really bright ones use up batteries very quickly - 2 hrs or less. Also some are heavier than others. Having now recovered from WHW, will be back to running gently this weekend. No big races till August so ease back in. Last long race of 2011 will be in October then I'm starting to think about how to reach peak milage in mid-winter (February) in Scotland in time for the TP100.

24/06/2011 at 23:01

MR F the High peak 40 website could be better yes, i thought that as well, the race is about 19pound me thinks although i have slept since then.

Hillheader what would a Peak mileage week look like for you in february. i`m trying to get a few different perspectives on how Normal runners train for a 100miler.

cheers take care.

28/06/2011 at 11:39
Just had the high peak info emailled now. Think IL enter, nice course and good distance!
28/06/2011 at 14:32

Hi all.

I'm doing the High Peaks 40 too, and thinking of entering this as my first 100 - if I'm brave enough.

I note Hillheader put that this is at the perfect time of year - is that due to temperature, as it strikes me that it may still be quite chilly with a long night?

28/06/2011 at 14:48
Rich, I did the Thames path 50 a few years ago, that was mid January! I think march is ideal for a 100. Is opt for a change of clothes at the 50mile checkpoint into a baselayer and ronhills to get through the night. Even quick walking keeps you warm, but this gloves and hat might be needed!
28/06/2011 at 15:31

Thanks Mr F.

very tempting.....Mrs R already thinks I'm crazy (have a 2013 MdS) place so she'll hopefully just see this as proof!

28/06/2011 at 15:44

Mr R, Well done on 2013 MdS - talk about forward planning!

I have a real problem. Been told by Mrs HH that I shouldn't ever do the WHW again, never mind next year. Wondering, if she'll accept an "easier" race and not having to support me? How does one approach the subject? Its so hard to explain the lure of such events when all she sees is the long hours of training and the pain associated with completing such an event.

I like the idea of a March ultra except for the difficulty in training through the winter. I would expect to peak at 100 mpw, peaking 3 weeks prior. Assuming a 40 mile run at the weekend, that still leaves 60 miles of running through the week and with Scottish daylight hours and being in the country that means 60 miles of night running, with a good chance of snow and ice.

Out running for first time last night. Felt reasonable though knees a little niggly. Out on the hills tonight and see how that feels. I feel for those of you down south with 30 deg C. We had a high yesterday of 12 ! 

28/06/2011 at 16:08

"Its so hard to explain the lure of such events " - know exactly what you mean - I think you either get it or you don't.

My wife doesn't understand the "why" bit either, but i think has probably jus accepted that it works for me. My ploy is usually to put potential races to her at the most opportune moments - for example, last night I presented the High Peaks 40 and Brecon 45 to her just prior to the Take That concert at Villa Park where I was on very husbandly chauffeur duty - surprise, surprise, no issues at all.  As far as the MdS goes - she did not want me to enter, but ultimately when entries went live and I was in an internet free zone, she entered me herself as she knew how much I wanted to do it - gotta love her - and she's gorgeous

Ultra AJH    pirate
28/06/2011 at 16:12

Sounds like you got it sorted Rich

Luckily my hubby now accepts that I am going to enter what he thinks of as silly events and as long as I dont injure myself he is happy.

I thought he took this one quite well, but after 10 in 10 this year I dont think I can really phase him.

21 to 40 of 2,429 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.