Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

401 to 420 of 2,429 messages
15/08/2011 at 22:00

Actually there is a lot of evidence that use of ibuprofen while engaging in long distance running can cause renal failure.  Big campaign to stop people from using it at Comrades this year. 

I urge you to desist from using it, at the very least until more comprehensive published data becomes available. 

I would add that I used it as lavishly as anybody before the recent data emerged. 

Edited: 15/08/2011 at 22:02
16/08/2011 at 07:11
Spot on Ben, have a look here;
http://www.marathonmedicalservices.co.uk/resources.htm#03
Scroll down to the pain killers bit, I dont think they work anyway everything still hurts
16/08/2011 at 08:11
I think use of pain relief during the race masks the pain, which can make you a bit sore post rave when they have worn off? Interesting write up though. Clearly James cracknells Dr thinks different if you saw his tags across America series?

So, are you guys joining us at Thames? Well done on your NDW finishes. Was there a 27hr cut off there too?
16/08/2011 at 10:20
Well done Veggieboy and Ultra AJH.
16/08/2011 at 16:58
So... fresh (ahem) from the NDW100, thinking about whether a flattish 100 could be a good idea. Such as this one.  2 questions: 1) how do I put this to my wife after telling her I will never run another 100 & this being a month before I fly off for MDS & 2) are there any toilets along the way? Coz there weren't on the NDW!!
16/08/2011 at 17:10
Another finisher marc? Well done!

You lucky sod going off to the Sahara. Sounds like you already have a very understanding wife! I'm pleased to hear several people call this a flat run. I guess that's pretty obvious given the 32hr cut off finish time at the NDW compared to the 27ur for the Thames!
16/08/2011 at 17:24

Guys

Cut off is 30 hrs, not 27

On TP you will run past a lot of riverside pubs and several public toilets

They will both tempt you in, but in very different ways

Marc - congrats on finishing, don't tell her, I haven't 

16/08/2011 at 18:55

I've not had chance to read this thread yet, but I stumbled across this event today at work and now I'm in two minds whether to enter or not.

I've only done a couple of marathons before and not ran recently. I found a 24 week beginners training plan that works up to a total of 75 miles in a week with the 3 longest runs at 30 mile.

Would this be adequate? I fancy this, but with the training over winter I don't know if I'll get enough long back to back runs in.  

16/08/2011 at 19:07

Well done to all who have completed races this past week. Having done the brecon 50 in may i am under no illusions on how tough this will be. Are you all planning on having a crew and pacers as i won't be having either? I guess i am relying on all of the C.P's and the camaraderie of all of you guys to get me to the finish!!! Perhaps i may see you all and travel some of the distance with you.

Have to say that scrolling down past threads my heart skipped a beat or two when i read that the cut off time was 27 hrs. Very relieved to hear that it it is indeed 30 hrs.

Once i get the Wye Valley marathon out of the way, i plan to do some more serious back-to-back long runs. Presently, my second run is of no more than 6 or 7 miles. I too took a look at the race organisers training plan. Will aim to give it my best shot.

There weren't any toilets on the Brecon 50 either. It was a case of crawling into undergrowth and praying that no one comes along to give them a thrill.

Have a good week ahead guys, take care x

16/08/2011 at 19:11

Tony, I think the amount of training people do for these events seems to vary greatly. I had only done one marathon when I did the Kent 24hr challenge in May, in which I ran 75 miles. I am also worried about being able to complete this as I know it'll be a much tougher ask than my last ulra, which had no pressure time-wise and i was able to sleep for a few hours at night.

However, I think if it's something you're really keen to do...you should def sign up and do your best to make it happen!!!

30 miles as a maximum long run distance seems to be quite recommended. Anything longer is greatly increasing your chances of injury I personally think. Some people decide to enter a 50 miler before the event, as a training run..which might not be a bad idea, but again, you don't want to risk injuring yourself. Also, how much training could you potentially miss out on whilst recovering form a run that distance? Swings and roundabouts I guess!

Anyway, I think I'm rambling a bit now...but go for it, I say!!

Oh Mr F..it's def 30 hr cut off..thank goodness!

16/08/2011 at 19:59
Firstly, apologies for confusing the water with the 27hr cut off. That was the cut off for the Devon coast to coast 100 I was entered in and training for last year. It is however a nice thought knowing I've got an additional 3 hours grace!

Training here seems to be progressing nicely. Sticking fairly well to the plan, although a few miles short this week. Me and organised plans don't usually gobtoo well working shifts and having 3 kids under 8 but I'm fitting it in so far. Am ensuring.inter the two back to back long runs in, the longer mid week run and then substituting one of the shorter runs for some odd road
biking. I've always felt a bit of an under achiever I'd I'm honest, I usually turn up to marathons and ultras dreadfully under prepared and end up plodding around in a time that doesn't reflect my ability if I was to train!

Vicky shan't have any pacers or crew either. be a case of grinning and bearing it and as you say rely on support as and where its available. I say go for it!
Ultra AJH    pirate
16/08/2011 at 22:30
I would always be under rather than over trained (within reasonable limits!)

For me the 100 is much more mental than physical if that makes any sense at all.
17/08/2011 at 09:14
Well, I definitely think we must all be mental AJH, so I guess that's true!!!
17/08/2011 at 09:52
Vicky, don't think I will have any support crew/pacers with me either. You won't be the only one.

17/08/2011 at 10:12
with 200 people doing the race, you will naturally "buddy up" for long periods of time
17/08/2011 at 10:52

OK.....87% full and rising!

Got my 1st ultra on Sunday - 40mile UltraRace Peaks. Will see how that goes and then enter this - but knowing me, I'll enter anyway

Haven't mentioned this to Mrs R - may just present it as a "race in March" and leave the finer details to later   

Ultra AJH    pirate
17/08/2011 at 11:24

Rich, since my OH is going to support me I have made him very much a part of it, and used Saturday as a practice for both me running a long distance and him supporting me point to point.

He knows exactly how tired he is going to be!

Anyway good luck on Sunday.

17/08/2011 at 11:32

Cheers AJH

Mrs R is a little fed up with the running lark at the moment so I will adopt a softly softly approach. It's such a fine line between family/wife commitments and wanting to spend every hour training for mad events

Ultra AJH    pirate
17/08/2011 at 11:49
Yeah I have to admit that I try to do as many events as I can on my own so that our lives are not taken over by my running addiction! It isn't always easy.
17/08/2011 at 12:34
Rich, I know what you mean, although I am helped by not having children yet. I haven't told my other half about this yet either. Not quite sure what he will say.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.