Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

81 to 100 of 2,429 messages
03/07/2011 at 16:07

Firstly sorry if i make any spellin mistakes. (very tired)

are that was one awesome night. set off from home at 9.27pm saturday after much faffing about.

all in all did 30.3miles in 8hrs. ave 16:00min/mile pace.

bearing in mind i NEVER EVER go walking i was realy happy to get that far

the first 14miles were just relentless uphill (not steep- very Gradual an long) at midnight i had noticed a slight urge to sleep, but it passed after half an hour or so. after a rolling 8mile ridge walk. i really started to feel soreness creeping in. then about 25miles in the Magic happened, the most amazing sun came in to view

onwards i pushed. by about the seven hour mark. i honestly felt done for. but they do say you can allways do more than you think you can. so i was immensely glad to be done after 8hours.

Lessons learned.

1) DON`T simply walk when running feels more Natural.

2) any walking that i do could probably be done at a less aggresive pace.

3) when isotonic drink is empty an sandwich is eaten. actually replace it rather than go thirsty for an hour or so. because it was not cold even during the night.

AJH sorry to hear about your trouble. i hope you get sorted soon enough so as to keep doing what you love. Best of look to Everyone attemptin various ultras.

for a more Babbling on version of how it went. take a look at this.

http://amileshortofamarathon.blogspot.com/ Thankyou.

03/07/2011 at 18:11
Andy, good going! So what dis you do for food? Was it a point to point circuit or multiple laps with a food and drink station?

03/07/2011 at 18:20
Hill header, that story about the broken ankle is just what o went through 2 years ago, but not the same distance! Was part of a 3 person team doing the cheviots 2000 fell race. At 19 out of 22 miles I went over on my ankle on a steep downhill. Was agony but as we were in the lead as a mixed team we presses on and my team mates shouted a bit. I guess the adrenaline took over. Next day ankle was purple and resembles a balloon and when I got home I visited A&E and spent the next 6 weeks I'm plaster! We still officially won on paper but were totally gutted to not get the trophy due to a technicality. My team mate took my back pack for the last 3 miles as I hobbled and that breached race rules giving us a 15min penalty. We argued it believing that as it was a team event we performed exceptionally as a team, and helping eachother out like this is teamwork at its best but the result stood!
Still to date those 22m were the hardest I have ever home through in my life.
03/07/2011 at 18:24

it was a point to point.

my mother had kindly agreed to pick me up at 6 at a junction on the A55. she`s amazin.

i carried 2.5litres of Nuun tablet water. and some peanut butter sandwiches. and some cake bars incase. in an ultra i`d definetly take advantage of the aid staions because i would happily of drunk 2 litres more, but i didn`t want to carry all that weight so left it to carrying 2.5litres. this felt like enough for me. unfortunately due to lack of walking expeirence i was getting sore after about 5 hours. still loved it though.

03/07/2011 at 18:27
would you put a link up to that story of the ankle turn at 5 mile please. i`d love to read it. take care wont you.
03/07/2011 at 18:27
Are you colwyn bay way by any chance?
03/07/2011 at 19:55
http://technorati.com/faves?add=http%3A%2F%2Frun100miles.com%2Fultra-resources%2F100-mile-race-advice%2F
03/07/2011 at 20:04
That doesn't take me to anything but a favourites page
03/07/2011 at 21:10
Ah... The website was http//run100miles.com. or similar!
03/07/2011 at 21:27
ok - I will check that out!
04/07/2011 at 20:19
Had a 10 mile walk today, trying to keep to over 3.4 miles per hour whilst I continue to strengthen my ankle. Managed it quite comfortably in the heat
04/07/2011 at 21:40
Andy : well done on your adventure. Nuun tablets are great if a little pricey. I carry then on the hills for adding to stream water. Guess I couldn't do that with Thames water?

Vix. Glad you are back out. What heat?

Ankle story is at www.westhighlandwayrace.org/Racetales/2006/Mark_Hamilton_2006.doc

There's some advise about a headtorch in there as well.

Some of the other tales are a good read. Also a great but very scary section on medical issues for ultra running. Probably best not read that bit!

Edited: 04/07/2011 at 21:42
04/07/2011 at 21:55
Hi Hillheader - it's been warm here in Manchester today - am burned a bit. Back to Birmingham tomorrow so probably won't be so bad, although you never quite know.

Am going to go and read that story - thanks for the link.

I've not tried Nuun tablets but a few of my triathlete friends swear by them.
04/07/2011 at 22:08
Interesting article from him. I'd say crazy but I can't talk!

I went over on my ankle 8 miles into this year's Lightning Run, and still persisted to a total of 30 miles. Luckily it wasn't broken, but it has taken til now to get back to how it was, probably because of my willingness to persist back then.
04/07/2011 at 23:41
i`m up in North east wales (Deeside) about 8 miles from chester, 7 miles from mold if that makes it clearer. it would be awesome to do a night run, run/walk, or straight walk, am just trying to get my ******computer to let me read them stories. vix glad your movin again.
05/07/2011 at 06:50
Andy, its lovely up near you. Id llove to be that close to hills!

Am just lookin for a night where I can do run/walk myself.
Ultra AJH    pirate
05/07/2011 at 13:42

Well done on the night adventure Andy

I had to go back to the docs today as the abs are not working. We are trying different ones so hopefully toe will be better soon.

Got a liittle sprint tri this weekend, that will help with ultra running ))))

05/07/2011 at 13:57

Well.....after last week's saga, quads felt completely normal yesterday so decided to test it over 45 min...........except 45 minutes became an hour, became 2, 2:15 and then it went again. Rang up my wife who's initial reply was "Twat!" Hobbled home (she's away in Liverpool)

Lesson number 1 - if you miss your long run at the weekend due to minor injury don't try and make up for it as soon as poss.

Lesson number 2 - after a minor injury, stick to a shortish run (as I'd planned) to see if it's Ok - or a minor injury might become a major one.

Whoops......

05/07/2011 at 22:42

MR F i consisder myself very fortunate to live in Connah`s quay Actually. its just an average town, but if you go one way out the driveway. its miles of cycle track (Pan flat) and if you go right its out of civilization within 100 yards pretty much. really love that. 

Thanks everyone for the suppport an well done`s.

good luck AJH with your toe, and the Sprint tri. eeek respect.

Rich 1 : sorry to hear about that. i know what you mean about loosing track oh Hours.

06/07/2011 at 08:30
18-20 off road with pack this morning, let's see how I cope with that!!
81 to 100 of 2,429 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.