Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

161 to 180 of 2,429 messages
10/07/2011 at 08:23
Excellent training then Mr F. All your runs can be when you're knackered!
10/07/2011 at 15:13

ye the is a positive then MR F.

cheers for the advice hillheader, regarding long runs, ive had to abandon the long run today, (got up with tight calves probably due to lack of recovery from thursdays race, was hoping to do a long one on tired legs, but never anticipated actual tightness

how`s everyone else doing?

10/07/2011 at 15:26
Hi guys. I've done 11 miles walking today along part of the Trans Pennine Trail, and have had no problems with the ankle at all, so next week the trail shoes will be coming back out to get some off road in before Thunder Run

I was hoping for under 3 hours for 10 miles, but just missed out - there's lots of different surfaces to go over on the stretch I did today - including enough sand to create a beach!

Sorry you had to abandon your run Andy

Hope you aren't feeling too tired Mr F - sounds like a shocking work schedule.

Hi Hillheader - how's your weekend going?
10/07/2011 at 15:58
Afternoon all!

Sorry to hear about your long rum Andy, I hate coming back from a long run not having some as long as you planned.

Good to hear the ankle is still looking strong vixx, the thunder run course is a gem I'd its the same as last year? A few good off road hilly stretches that really so hurt after a dozen laps!

Just been out for a 5 mile tempo session. Nice fast pace throughout, well for me anyway! Slight twinge on the outside of my right knee so going to rare off a bit. Thinly I might have overdone it a bit this week. More lower leg strength exercises a must! Roast chicken for dinner followed by a few.glasses of good quality shiraz and the tour de France highlights!
10/07/2011 at 18:07
I keep forgetting about the Tour!!! Enjoy that and the Shiraz!

How is the knee feeling now?

I loved Thunder Run last year - can't wait!
10/07/2011 at 19:01

well done on that 11miler Vixx, also glad to hear the ankle is holding up for you.

and you MR F glad you had a good run as well.

i went to do a steady 10miler in the end on the cycle path because its pan flat. (calf friendly) so 10.54miles in 1hrs 21mins feel better than when i started

glad everyones doin good.

10/07/2011 at 19:03
Thanks Andy - I know ankles can take a long time to heal so I need to make sure it is done correctly before I start really getting into this....
10/07/2011 at 19:59
Good going Andy. Nice miles, the runs like that will really count come march!

Knee just a bit sore, have had problems with it a few years ago which requires some physio so just need to be smart and keep up with the exercises that I did so religiously.
10/07/2011 at 21:35
fairplay vixx and and you mr f, i have to admire your patience with problems. although having said that, injurys are the reason i run in vibrams. you see when i started, unfortunately i listened to much to conventional advice and ran in Asics gel shoes. this caused really bad heel striking which caused the impact pain to shoot up from my ankle to neck (VERY UNCOMFERTABLE) then i like plenty other people discoverd the book Born to run, i swiftly ordered a pair of Vibrams of www.amazon.com. i cant express how Amazing it was to finally just run. only limit being me. there literally was zero pain, an immense breakthrough moment that was.
10/07/2011 at 21:37
I'm now Googling vibrams as I've been in asics for 15years!
10/07/2011 at 21:46
seriosly right, it might sound corny, well it probably does. but the simplicity they bring to your running which made me love running, and in turn love life.
10/07/2011 at 21:53
I was once overtaken in the snowdonia marathon by a guy in bare feet. We were on the road just before the steep downhill section down the back of a slate mine!!
10/07/2011 at 21:56
i heard about that eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, really he must of been properly hardcore. i take it he does barefoot running regularly.
10/07/2011 at 21:57
okay am off take care. need sleep.
10/07/2011 at 22:14
Aside from one ill-advised (by the girl in Sweatshop) venture into Nike Pegasus, I have only ever worn adidas trainers - started with the supernova glide, and now am in the supernova sequence. My trail trainers are kanadias. Have always been comfortable with them.

My injuries come about through biomechanical weakness.
11/07/2011 at 13:03
Andy, do you wear your vibrams just on the road or on the trails and XC too?
What choice will you make for the 100?I'd like to find a shop where I could try a pair out before forking out 90 quid!
11/07/2011 at 18:17
http://www.badwater.com/info.html

Just in case anyone wants to psych themselves up
11/07/2011 at 18:20
I might peak too early if I look at it now!!
11/07/2011 at 18:22
Heh heh! I'd like to learn from their mistakes!
K.P
11/07/2011 at 22:33

Hi all,

Glad to hear that everyone's running is generally going well.  Well done on the walk Vixx, it's nice on the TPT, although I have managed to get myself lost there before now!

I was working this weekend so my training revolved around commuting.  Today was a cycling and swimming day and tomorrow I'll be cycling again, and it was a great day to be outdoors.  I've got my first iron distance triathlon a week on Sunday so I'm kind of tapering, but my cycling is so poor I'm still pushing that a bit.  My next run will be on Wednesday.

Vixx, I also use Supernova Sequence and Kanadia off roads.  The Sequence were reccommended for me after I had some achilles problems 5-6 years ago, and I haven't had any problems since.  Sounds like the Vibrams have been really good for you though Andy, sounds great. 

Hope everyone has a good week.

161 to 180 of 2,429 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.