Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

1,821 to 1,840 of 2,473 messages
17/03/2012 at 18:33
Great story Ben. Well done and good strategy.

I might be tempted by TP100 again? Really enjoyed (most of) it.

Some great ideas for races. Viking way sounds tough. Cut offs might be difficult for me as only just sub 24 in TP.

I love the WHW and the 2 other ones. Did all three last year and done them a few times each now.The WHW is another great race for cameraderie. The prize giving for everyone at Sunday lunchtime is especially inspiring. In 2 weeks time I'm walking the WHW with family over a week. Looking forward to many pub lunches in places you wistfully run past on the race!
17/03/2012 at 20:01

Glad to hear everyone recovering well.

I have a very busy few months ahead. Just hope i can avoid injury this year!

April = London mara

May = Ultra Breacon 40

June = SDW100

August = NDW100

November = Winter 100 ( Not entered yet but considering for the slam)

Hopefully a muddy 15 miler tomorrow morning.

17/03/2012 at 20:24

Thanks Ben. Definitely plan to cross that finish line!

Mr F, have signed up for grimsthorpe and it definitely said 100 miles.  I know what you mean though as other info has said 105. Will find out for sure on the day. It all adds to the excitement! Take care all x

17/03/2012 at 21:27

I will be back next year for unfinished business

Groin strain took me out at 38 miles

Have got Caesars Camp 100 (or as much of it as I can get done in 28 hrs) and Winter 100 left to do this year, with maybe an IM in midsummer beforehand

17/03/2012 at 22:09

Hillheader

I am pretty much the sacrificial virgin at the Viking Way Ultra, but if I don't give it a try I will never know.  One thing that I did notice about the TP100, is that some runners who are dynamite on the hills, were surprised by how slow their pace was. 

Waccyracer

Of course you are going to do another 100.  Once you have been there, you will always be drawn back. 

Dill

I would love to do the slam, but I have been only been running for two and a half years, so I still have "kid in sweet shop syndrome".  However much I enjoy a race, there is still one that I have not done at the same time next year, that tempts me away. 

17/03/2012 at 22:19

I know what you mean Ben but i have a feeling the centurion races will be future classics and i would love to be one of the few to complete them all in the first year.

17/03/2012 at 22:28

You have a point there. 

I would be shocked if a couple of the centurion races didn't become future classics.

19/03/2012 at 22:43
Good work to all the TP100 runners. If you're ready I'd like to let you in on another run of epic proportions! There is an island off the coast of Wales, a place of outstanding natural beauty, which is truly an ultra runners paradise. At the end of the summer we are hosting the inaugural Ring O' Fire Anglesey coastal ultra marathon. A run which circumnavigates the whole Island. All 131 miles of it. Please check out our website and we hope you'll be ready to take on a new challenge. We have almost 60 runners signed up so far. You can also be part of it: http://www.ringofire.co.uk/
20/03/2012 at 07:56

That's funny - I was looking at that one last night james!

I am booking up for around the island at the end of June (Isle Of Wight) whih I should be able to do if I just tick over with training on the back of TP100. There's loads I like the look of, but a lot are so far away from me. Maybe next year JCC .  Ring O Fire sounds good - but scary!! The event itself is really cheap compared to other multi days, but it would prob cost me a lot to get there and across to the island. Hmm - something to think about! James, what's it like in terms of navigation? I'm terrible!

20/03/2012 at 17:45
I have finally got round to writing up my race report, if you are interested you can find it on my website www.marvellousmimi.com

Good luck with all your other races, Ben see you at the Viking :0)
20/03/2012 at 18:43

Mimi - I will be sure to read that report .

I did a report for the TP100 on the Scottish Runners thread in General the other week, its about page 1344 I think, or go to the current page and backtrack a few, sorry I'm rubbish at links!!! A report from me from the back of the pack !

TRex - I read your blog for the Fling last year - that was some epic journey......and you had us all scared with that weird light in the night on the old route of General Wades Rd over Rannoch Moor !! I have had some weird shit happen to me in the middle of the night in the remote parts of Scotland so can well believe how bizarre things can get sometimes!

Planning my Ireland trip now, current drive time is apparently 40mph so I dont expect to arrive in Connemara particularly fast !!

In the meantime I got my maps for the Lakeland 50 in July - that looks like some epic race - I reckon the Lakeland 100 must rate up there with the UTMB in terms of difficulty???? What do people think?

20/03/2012 at 20:34
Hi purplepig! good to hear of your interest in the Ring O' Fire ultra.

The whole route is marked by Anglesey Coastal Path signposts. There are areas where the route can become unclear; like when traveling through large fields or woodland areas so you should bring a map, compass and/or GPS device. Check out the FAQs on our website which has loads of info: http://www.ringofire.co.uk/faqs Hopefully the great value we are offering at £99 for a three day event with overnight accommodation will make the cost of travel easier. We've just had a runner from Denmark sign up who couldn't get into the UTMB and that's in addition to quite a few other international runners. Have a look at the profiled runners on our website. There's some great characters running for sure. Our ultra is the same weekend as UTMB and offers 4 qualifying points. You know it makes sense!
20/03/2012 at 22:40

Tigerspaw - .  I've decided the "light" was in fact the reflective orange round marker they put on bridges as you approach them.  It's just that in my semi-hallucinating state it seemed to move around and even come towards me!

What are you doing in Connemara again, sorry?  I'll be doing the ultra for the 8th consecutive time.  It's a cracking event.  There is a thread started for it but it hasn't got going very well. 

I'm also on the waiting list for L50 - didn't get entered early enough.

20/03/2012 at 23:52

James

I think that your race merits/needs a devoted thread. 

A lot of people get drawn into a race by following a thread about it, the TP100 being a case in point!

21/03/2012 at 09:41
T Rex - aha! An easy mistake to make when you have been awake for hours - made for a good tale anyway . I am doing the marathon at Connemara, first time at the event, and first time in that part of Ireland too, been wanting to do it for past 3 years, finally got the combination of timing and finances right . Just need to hope my leggies will carry me round, done a couple of 10 milers since TP but thats about it, will rest for a few days, but no real taper.
21/03/2012 at 11:14

I said i wouldnt do it, but with a few weeks gone by, i ,m seriously considering Mike Inksters 24 hr Challenge in May, its a lapped course which i have run several times in races like the moonlight challenge etc and i swore i would never do a lapped event again. But if the TP100 training stays in my legs it would be an oppurtunity to have another crack at 100 in 24 hours. Its only 10 mins from home but 16 plus laps makes my brain hurt just thinking about it.

Also havent broached the subject with Mrs Ashmore yet !!!!!!

21/03/2012 at 14:51

Good idea Ben. I was certainly a devoted follower of this thread on the lead up to the TP100. I've also been keenly reading all of the post race analysis and stories following the event.

I managed to finish the race just before they called the event off. I was one of those runners finishing in the snow, wrapped in my survival blanket, with mild hypothermia. After running through the Sahara desert with 'James Bingham 5' in temperatures over 50 degrees, I thought there could not possibly be anything more uncomfortable. To be honest, I thought the last 10 miles of the TP100 was far harder! My clothing was completely soaked through, the wind was biting, the temperature was plummeting, the path made it impossible to run, and I was completely dehydrated after having been unable to stomach food / drink for the last couple of hours. Happy to have survived and it was certainly a memorable event! Give me a nice sand storm any day of the week!

Hopefully the Welsh weather will be more tame on the Ring O' Fire ultra, unless  'James Bingham 5' is organising a hurricane to make it more of a challenge for any hardened TP100 finishers.

22/03/2012 at 08:52

Mark, I did the 24 hr challenge last year. That was my very first attempt at an ultra distance. Great way of finding out what you're capable of, without the pressure of cut-offs etc.

I am really tempted by the Ring o Fire - but am wondering if I may be out of my depth with that one. Having said that, I thought that about TP100!  I'd need to get some serious hill training in quick smart!! OOh what do I do, what do I do??

09/05/2012 at 14:37

Going to enter again next year I think. Perfect timing as build up to other events and most enjoyable event in own right. If anyone sees that entries are open, please post and we can all rush in!

Hope that everyone's other events for this year are going well or training for upcoming events back on track

Edited: 09/05/2012 at 14:37
09/05/2012 at 18:58

Yeah I would like to do this again too - I have that last 9miles to complete, unfinished business  .

Hillheader - I think we get a 'heads up' email a month before entry opens, as we are previous entrants .

Completed Highland Fling last weekend and felt comfortable all the way round, had a total blast chatting to folk and generally enjoying myself not worrying about the time, then came down with a bloody cold a few days later, gone to the lungs!!! Feeling better and hopefully will clear up in time for Dukeries in 3wks time.

1,821 to 1,840 of 2,473 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.