Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

1,901 to 1,920 of 2,429 messages
10/01/2013 at 09:51

stefkirl! I'll be at the pub at the start in a red top, wearing glasses and a pair of back and orange brooks shoes, also some bright yellow headphones, plus the obligatory man tights with my faithfull but yet torn to pieces grey shorts over the top. If you see someone resembling that come on over and say hello! I also found my motivation was a bit lacking over the xmas break and really struggled to get out. My weekly mileage dropped a bit but kept up with at least one long run most weekends. Back in the game now, into the high 50's on weekly mileage and very excited about both races, especially the TP100. I'd like to beat my 8.5hr time on the Thames Trot from last year but thats not essential as its a long training run for the TP100.  

10/01/2013 at 13:29

ANYONE got any idea whether the towpath is still flooded? I was thinking about running from Streatley to Henley on Sunday as a TT50 recce/long run, but obviously not if it's still flooded - or if snow stops the trains! Info on Environment Agency site isn't sufficient.

10/01/2013 at 13:37

Between Marlow and Henley there is some pretty bad flooding, not as bad as a couple of weeks ago though. Not sure about beyond Henley, so like Debra, any info on the state of the routes would be much appreciated.

10/01/2013 at 13:44

I was in Reading on Tuesday and the towpath wasn't flooded. Much of Steatley to Reading is way above the river so should be ok.

10/01/2013 at 14:35

shawk: Thanks! That's really useful information. Okay, if the trains are running, I'll get the train to Streatley and see if I can run to Henley without getting into deep water...

Any further info from locals very much appreciated!

10/01/2013 at 15:00

Pretty much all locks have taps with drinking water, and are fairly evenly spaced every 6-8 miles. Full details on Thames path website, saves you carrying too much bulk.

10/01/2013 at 15:30

oh yeah, pay close attention around Reading, getting back to the river after the housing estate isn't well signposted. Have a look on an os explorer map (bing maps) before you go so you're aware of where the path goes and when you need to turn back down from the main road.

10/01/2013 at 20:47

shawk: thanks for that. I've printed out the map sections from the TT50 website - you think I need more than that?

11/01/2013 at 15:53

re drop bags

I think what happened last year is that people used the multiple drop bags to store multiple sets of clothes/shoes over the course.

Then the high number of drop outs created a logistical nightmare for James and his team to try and get kit back to people over the following weeks.

You also run the risk of people not properly sealing them up after they have been used and so things fall out/get misplaced

I can see therefore why the intention is to just bin them, afterall, James is not meant to be providing a mobile wardrobe service.

A reasonable rucksac will carry all the extra kit you need, afterall, you cannot predict when the weather will turn into Armageddon, as it surely will.

As to an extra pair of shoes - if you are that worried carry an extra pair in a bigger rucksack, but to be honest you should have done sufficient long miles in the pair you start with to know whether they will be an issue

Sorry if that seems harsh

WiB
11/01/2013 at 16:08

I would not want to be in the position of having to mail out 200+ drop bags that have been left as has been the case before I believe.

Plus a lot of them will be full of damp, sweaty gear and smell!

Can easily carry a spare top and a couple pairs of socks with you if you insist on changing them or just accept the loss of a pair of old socks that you leave in your drop bag.

WiB
11/01/2013 at 17:25
It's just the shoe issue. It is nice to change your shoes half way.
WiB
11/01/2013 at 18:17

I suppose a few people do like to change shoes. Not sure what the answer is there other than don't change shoes!

WiB
11/01/2013 at 18:59
You might be right.
18/01/2013 at 09:26
I'll just have a couple of sock changes rather than shoes. Got family meeting me at Pangbourne ( about 65 mile?) but that's just for cheering purposes.
How's everyone going? Back up to 50+ mpw for me which is not that much I guess. Apart from a marathon and an ultra planned I have decided no more races. On Sunday I did a 11 mile xc and rolled my ankle in a water covered pothole. Fortunately just swelling and bruising but I would be so annoyed to miss my target race getting injured on a local race I can do any year.
18/01/2013 at 09:57

The thought of running 100 miles is a massive scary motivator for me! Have been getting out for 20-30 miles on Sat and 20's on Sunday. I did have the worry of resitting accountancy exams about 3 weeks before the race but have passed so very relieved! Training is going well and I should break the 60 miles/ week this week. Have a lower mileage planned for next weekend as running the Thames Trot on the 2nd Feb. After that its full on until the taper. JeremyG I too twisted my ankle giving way to a cyclist on a footpath stupidly. Got home and iced it up, but feeling ok now. Very excited about my first 100 miler!

18/01/2013 at 14:14

You're doing well on the b2b's there MB, I need to pull my finger out! My base fitness is very good just need the longer runs in so next month will be a bit brutal. It will be a tricky not to try and do too much as the closer it's getting the more scared I am!
What sort of finish time are you aiming at, or just completion? I have about 4 different goals depending on how it goes on the day.
Congrats on the exam, must be a weight off so now you can focus on the running!

21/01/2013 at 09:56

JG, I would love to finish in under 24 hours and given my first 50 miler last year took me 8.5hrs I think its possible but anything can happen on the day. If all goes well I think about 20 hours. I've raised a bit of money for charity too so finishing is an absolute must. Managed 32 miles on Sat and 20 on Sun, tough going in the snow but now have a lower mileage week to look forward too, then the Thames Trot the week after. Best of luck with all the training!

31/01/2013 at 09:34

Time for me to rejoin this thread . Hope you all are on track to have  a great run.

you are right Monkeybrain anything can happen on the day especially around twilight when all the different flocks of birds start to settle down for the night. Some of the sights are awesome ( always like to use that word )  there are so many brilliant moments along the route. Last year  I saw people waving and shouting polite words of encouragement, "oh look Mummy, there's waccy "  from a balcony  in  a magnificent  castle on a hill near Winsor. 

JeremyG  -  we all get scared whenever we think about it so you are not alone there. You've just got to be confident in your ability and in your mind be as strong as an Ox.  

31/01/2013 at 09:54

English is not really my mother tongue so please excuse any misplacements.

If like me you are not perfect in the usage of the English word then 100 miles is just the right distance to put in some practise. You can start off by thinking like a Londoner and progress  throught the Shires  until you end up thinking like an Oxonion.

You don't have to spell out difficult words to yourself but i find it helps, especially in Berkshire . Last year i misspelled Eton Dorny and someone tried to wack me with a cane. 

Creative visualisation is what i use to carry me round . Any sight can set me off on a chain of positive  colourful thoughts which i use to bounce along on.  

red and yellow and green and blue . I'll leave the rest to you to fill in.

31/01/2013 at 10:20

Waccyracer...You sum up the probable stream of consiousness that goes around and around in your head as you run along very well. I'm hoping that the flooding will have subsided a bit. Have the TT 50 on Sat and there is going to be a lot of wading. How's the training going? Will run the 50 on sat then a little recovery run Sunday then back on to 30's and high 20's for the next month until the taper. What's anyone else doing?

1,901 to 1,920 of 2,429 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.