Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

1,921 to 1,940 of 2,473 messages
31/01/2013 at 10:22

100 Miles??? You guys must have balls of steel ....... as have any girls on here attempting it.

31/01/2013 at 10:48

I have the CTS South Devon ultra - only 35 but plenty hilly. Other than that it's solo training, very tedious but good mental training so I can be strong as an Ox!
I was thinking about a back to back 20 miler in one day - ie 20 in the morning and then another as a night run setting off at midnight. Is this a good idea or rather would it be a benefit? I have run at night but not that late so I feel it would be a good mental exercise at least to see how it feels. I'm used to odd hours as I work shifts and nights so staying awake is not much of a problem.

31/01/2013 at 11:01

I've run lots at night but like you JeremyG not very late except on New Years after a party running home in a skiing jacket, tshirt and jeans, 6 miles though boggy woods at 6 in the morning. I like the sound of your plan and may do the same. I think anything like that is definitely a good test and its not going to be any easier on the day.

31/01/2013 at 12:28
for my night training I jump on the train at 10pm ish go about 30 miles then run home. On the sdw100 last year the hardest stretch for me was between 23:00 to 02:00 and that was on a section of the south downs I know really well. I reccied some of the tp last weekend that I'll be running at night just so I know the way try and make it a bit easier on race day.
31/01/2013 at 12:35

I have run Oxford - Walton on Thames so have an idea of the course. Interesting what you say about 23:00-02:00 Lingster as I was feeling that would be a low time which is why I'm planning on a run at that time with an earlier run to make sure I'm tired.

04/02/2013 at 11:38

Thames Trot done. Lots of rerouting and getting lost, plus wading through floods and muddy fields. 45 miles in 7 hours, very pleased with that. Think I'll be going a bit slower over 100 miles but promising! Out for a short recovery run tonight to see if my legs still work and then on with the training!

04/02/2013 at 12:02

Ditto to all that! Now the TT50 is done (which i wasn't sure i'd complete cos of injury and missed training), looks like the TP100 could be back on for me. Will need a solid block of training from now until the race. Hope the course clears up a bit by then...

04/02/2013 at 14:01

Superglue Boots! Well done on the TT50! Had a great day but the TP did look pretty flooded in a lot of places so fingers crossed for some warmer weather. Good luck with all the training.

04/02/2013 at 14:44

Well done to you too. I wasn't quite as quick as that (maybe last year hehe) Fingers crossed for it all now, weather, course, training. Have you done the TP100 before?

05/02/2013 at 12:07

This will be my first 100 miler and the furthest I will have run. Excited but feel pretty good about the training and looking forward to the race. Have you done it before?

05/02/2013 at 23:14
Glad you guys survived the somewhat wet TT50. Did TP100 last year and am in again this year. Hope it dries out a bit before end of March.
05/02/2013 at 23:25

I could see this event being significantly re routed, if the weather dosn't change for the better.  I am sure that James Elson will want to keep the distance at 100 miles regardless of the circumstances. 

06/02/2013 at 00:11

good luck all

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 00:12
06/02/2013 at 10:21

Well done you Thames 50 people. Hopefully those water levels will drop significantly in the next 6 weeks!

Anyway, not been on this thread much this year, but thought I would just pop in and give a heads-up re. anyone planning to travel in to Richmond from the Oxford direction by train on the Saturday morning. Leave yourself extra journey time as there are engineering works going on and they are re-routing the trains from Reading to Hounslow, then it is a bus transfer to Richmond.

Last year I was able to get in for 8.16am, this year they are saying 8.47am arrival, which is cutting it a bit fine as far as I am concerned! The alternative is going directly into Paddington then a complicated series of underground changes, which as an outsider I aint prepared to risk as I have no clue about the London Underground and am likely to get lost !

So if anyone wants to share a taxi from Hounslow I will be up for that . I'll be wearing bright red gore tex jacket - just shout TP at me !

I might email James at some point and let him know there could be a sudden late influx of people registering around 9am, as i'm sure he does not realise these engineering works are even on.

06/02/2013 at 11:43

It's my first time at the TP100 too Monkeybrain. It's my second attempt at 100m tho, as i had to drop at 93 on the UTSW last year. So i want to tick the box this year!!

I'm gonna do all i can to finish!

06/02/2013 at 19:51

I thought i held the RW record for dropping in a 100 at 87 mile but you certainly pipped me there Superglue!

I ran this last year and had a torrid time with the most painful blisters ever. Every step was like walking on broken glass. That combined with the worst weather i have ever run in made it interesting. Only beat the cut off by a few minutes. Finished though (just!).

Defo going for a better time this time. Sub 23 is where i'm aiming but will be prepared to hold back if need be. Don't want to ruin my GUCR attempt. 

Moonlight challenge and Steyning stinger and i'll be ready. Anyone else running these?

07/02/2013 at 00:10
Hi all, its with much regret that an email will be fired off to James in the morning detailing a DNS on my part. Due to a very turbulent start to the year I'm on no real state to contemplate a hundred miler, but hoping to cone along still and assist with crewing etc. Best of luck with the prep, and hope to see you out on the course somewhere!
07/02/2013 at 08:38
Sorry to hear that mr f. It's a tough decision to make even when you know it's the right thing. See you on the course.
07/02/2013 at 09:13

Dill

Enjoy Moonlight challenge

I did it last year when we had a blizzard. They stopped the race in the end but those of us who had already got out on the last lap were allowed to finish. It is a nice little race. The ground if frozen is really tough on feet and ankles

Get there early as there is not a lot of parking

And it is a real pain having to run last that pub 5 times

07/02/2013 at 09:50

Dill, there was a group of 4 of us (2x 100'ers and 2x 60'ers), and we got stuck on the cliffs just past perranporth and before getting to the fistral CP, just when the bad weather hit. The winds were so strong we couldn't stand up straight, we were lost, couldn't even see the cliff edges in the pitch black (and i know from doing that section in the light that there's some pretty steep drops there). So we had to head inland and get picked up. I was gutted cos i could have walked in if it wasn't so dangerous. That was at about 30hrs.

Not in hurry to rush back there. So thought i'd try and tick the 100 box by doing the TP100.

Sorry to hear that mr f, that's a tough call, i was (and prob still am) close to that point, but as i got round the TT50 ok, i'm gonna continue with the training as hard as i can and keep my fingers crossed.

1,921 to 1,940 of 2,473 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.