Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

1,961 to 1,980 of 2,429 messages
22/02/2013 at 11:56
I'm running the last 23 miles tomorrow so will report back how that section of path is tomorrow night
22/02/2013 at 14:26

Hurrah for the paths drying out !

Keep them reports coming in!

I've started tapering already !!

22/02/2013 at 14:40
Yep thanks for the reports, although still means I can't decide on shoes!
Tapering already Tiger? Not injured I hope?! Next week I have 2x20 and a marathon then less miles but some faster running.
22/02/2013 at 15:00

JeremyG - not injured as such, but I get a bit of a niggly ankle, so decided on cutting back the mileage now. I will hopefully be doing some of that shorter and faster running over the next few weeks too .

I've been doing quite a lot of 70 and 80m weeks over the last few months, based around triple back to back lsr's, and tbh last week I was starting to feel really quite drawn out, like the training was almost becoming counter-productive, so I decided enough was enough. I should get in about a 55m-ish week this week, and OMG I feel so much better for that little step back from things . Mentally I'm ready for this baby, but physically I was fearing I was starting to fall apart .

Gonna have a good couple of weeks, get sharpened up, do a few longer runs at the weekends, eat lots of good food, and gradually bring things down .

22/02/2013 at 18:56

Tigerspaw-    Your post sums up exactly how i've been feeling and for the same reasons.   I've decided to cut back now.

Last year i ran the first 50 miles in 10 hours 6 mins. Then slowed to do the 2nd half of the race in 13:45.  due to the fact that one of our team had a slight injury .We knew that we could walk 

fast for the last 20 miles and  still get under 24 hours.

This year , as i'm running on my own,  i intend to do the first 50 mile at a slightly faster pace  so that i reach half way in about 9 hours.  

There is the worry that  i may overdo it  and blow up for the second 50 but that is a risk i'm willing to take.

22/02/2013 at 19:08
Forgot this for a while and just read the last 10 pages on the train. Now feeling woefully underprepared. Longest is 17 so far but doing 45 this Sunday. No doubt that will be educational....

I have a room for ??42 I think.... At Richmond Premier Inn which I am going to cancel as I can now stay with a friend. If anyone needs it we should be able to work something out so you can take it over. Walk to start.
22/02/2013 at 19:48

Anyone doing the Moonlight challange tomorrow? I've got that and the Steyning stinger next week and i'm ready

22/02/2013 at 20:59

Looks like (almost) every one is in pretty good shape.

Glad to hear the ourse is drying out - will it get as far as road shoe territory? The first 30 miles has got a lot of hard surface where road shoes are the best option and it would be nice to carry tht through the whole way

I am in the middle of my big training week - 5 * 13 miles so far and 40 scheduled for Sunday (as long as I don;t get p1ssed up too much at a corporate do at the Rugby)

Train well guys and then rest up

Tigerspaw - I hear what you say fella, when it becomes a chore the motivation and mental resolve will drop off along with the physical side

Better to be rested and looking forward to it than knackered and resenting it

23/02/2013 at 11:01

Veggieboy - I agree, and I am really looking forward to the event .

UWR - I will be a couple of hours behind you, if you are aiming for 50m in 9hrs .

Last year I was 11.50 to the 50m and 25.50 to the 91m at Abingdon, where I got stopped. Ended up walking quite a lot through the night when I teamed up with a couple of guys. I should have ran more, so thats the aim this year. I was actually making much better time when I was going it alone, although the temptation is always to team up during the night, and the chat was good for keeping the brain alert. Apart from the 'natural wastage' of slowing down in the second half, I reckon I can do a good sub-28 if I aim for about 11-12hrs again for the first 50, and about 15-16hrs for the second half which will allow for longer food breaks at the CP's.

Saying that, I can also see from doing it last year where I can save time, like someone said on previous page, I feel mentally stronger for being able to picture parts of the course in my head. And I know I wasted a lot of time at CP's (mainly looking for toilets ), so I can try to be more efficient with my food intake and rest breaks this year.

I know I will be a lot slower than most of you on here, my aim is mainly to finish in one piece, but I definitely feel stronger and more prepared than last year. I'm going to use this next four weeks for maximum rest and sleep, with a few long-ish runs thrown in to keep the legs ticking over.

Anyway, enough chat from me, time to run - its snowing here in Scotland - good practice for the TP then!!!

23/02/2013 at 11:05

Sorry Veg didn't read your previous post regarding the Moonlight challange untill this morning.

Looks like its going to be cold tonight! Inch of snow last night will still brave the shorts though.

Hope routes easy to follow don't really want to carry anything.

Veg do you know what the route was like? Tracks, road or muddy fields? still undecided on shoes.

23/02/2013 at 11:46

Tigerspaw definitely have that drawn out feeling, normal I guess. Managed to pick up a cold now - definite indication I'm getting tired as I never get them normally. Having a rest today I think before next week.
Not sure yet on pacing stategy - my first 100 so really no idea! My inital plan is probably far too ambitious and I think if I try it I will get a big slap down and face an overnight deathmarch!
Hope everyones weekend plans go ok especially you Kevin! Don't envy you that jump to 45. Not the longest you've done so I'm sure you'll be fine.

23/02/2013 at 12:51

Dill

It is a mixture of track, mud, tarmac and concrete farm road (which is very unforgiving). If it is just frozen than road shoes will be fine

If it snows I would go trail shoes

Last year I had Asics trail attacks which were fine

23/02/2013 at 13:09

Thanks fella. Hokas it is.

23/02/2013 at 21:06
last reccie done from 4miles before wallingford to abingdon. The trail was a lot better than 3weeks ago when we had to cut short are reccie from reading at 18 miles because it was to muddy and flooded to run. The Thames has dropped by a couple of feet and the paths are 80% runable there are parts still very muddy and some of the fields still have surface water on them so if we have any rain it would be very muddy and wet. But we could stick to the path without detour today. I ran in hoka mafates today it definitely trail shoes for this part but if it stays dry between now and then you could use road shoes. Hops you all have a good weeks training then taper and rest look forward to meeting some of you on race day.
24/02/2013 at 10:51

Cheers Lingster, lets hope the dryer weather continues.

A couple of questions for those that have done this:
What's the food like at check points? Obviously there is drop bags but I don't want to weigh myself down with too much food/gels. I know you pass shops etc at several points as well.

Also what is the finish like? I am getting picked up but turns out not until afternoon earliest. I have a vague notion of just crashing on the floor somewhere. Don't really want to pay for a hotel for just a few hours but is this practical? I guess they don't want knackered runners littering up the place!

24/02/2013 at 13:21
I've done and crewed at checkpoints for centurion events the checkpoints are well stocked with fruit , ham, cheese wraps, coke, .mars bars some gels etc the at the checkpoint with hot food you get hotdogs jacket spuds beans tea coffee at all checkpoints so enough to keep you going.
24/02/2013 at 14:21

The finish is in a different place this year, but I'm sure I read in the notes somewhere there won't be any facilities / room for people to sleep. When I looked up the area on the route map it just looks like one big playing field, so I guess Centurion will have tents set up? Or there might be a University sports pavilion? Not sure.......

I do know, however, there is a good pub just at the bridge where we drop down to the finish - I'm getting collected in the afternoon too, so I've told the family to wait in the pub if they get too cold standing about. This could be dangerous !

24/02/2013 at 16:20
Cheers, food sounds good. I shall just carry gels and shot blocks I think.
Tigerspaw the pub it is! Although I may need some of those glasses with the fake eyes! My wife did ask about me getting a train to reading and collecting me there - I said its not guaranteed I'll be able to walk!
24/02/2013 at 18:16
I'm staying in oxford on the Sunday night. Thinking of taking a couple of pills, going out clubbing and dancing the night away. Anyone know of any good club nights on a Sunday in oxford. Trance or drum and bass would be preferable.
24/02/2013 at 19:40

LOL - I hear the continuing education section of Oxford Uni do a good party . Thats only cos I work for them sometimes .

1,961 to 1,980 of 2,429 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.