Thames Path 100

100 mile point to point run from Richmond to Oxford

1 to 20 of 2,429 messages
12/04/2011 at 20:41
Further to the significant number of early entries into the North Downs Way 100, 50 and 26.2 mile races in August, we have established a new race for 2012 - the Thames Path 100.

The course is a point to point run from Richmond in South West London to the centre of Oxford, sticking to the Thames Path throughout. The course is marked, there are 14 aid stations and provisions for drop bags which will be transported to two of the stations and can be accessed during the race also. The race has a cut off of 30 hours and is limited to the first 200 runners (we are currently 15% full). Race date is March 3rd 2012.

All of the details can be found here www.centurionrunning.com but any direct questions can be put to me at racedirector@centurionrunning.com .

Thanks a lot and thank you again to those that have supported the NDW races this August by entering early on.
Edited: 12/04/2011 at 20:42
GKD
12/04/2011 at 20:45
Ooh ya bastad! In the nicest possible way of course. Can't do the NDW because of the proximity of the CCC this year but this looks good, only ten minutes from Richmond too
GKD
13/04/2011 at 21:19
i entered last week. My first 100 miler, Might do NDW 50 as a training run or The Toad Challenge, on the same route as TP 100 , but in opossite direction. 90 miles over 3 days. £120  which includes food drink and accomodation in  school halls for two nights in September.
27/04/2011 at 11:09
Ooooh - looks interesting. Haven't done a 100 miler before (only 95 miles) and course sounds great along with the perfect time of year and lack of requirement for full time support team. Going to keep an eye on entries and wait till mid-June when I've done a few more ultras and see if I can stomache more of them!
27/04/2011 at 11:12
Just realised that at that time of year that there will be over 12 hours of night running - eek
27/04/2011 at 12:37
Interesting...very interesting. Will have to decide between a fast road marathon or this for next spring. Might wait until after GUCR and UTMB this year before committing.

Been running on sections of that towpath for fifteen years so I should know the way.
Good luck - hope it is a successful event.
27/04/2011 at 13:25
This sounds brilliant.  I'm not going to be able to take part as I've planned my running around building up to 100miles in June 2012, and I won't be ready by March.  If anyone is looking for a pacer to run the last 50 miles with them though, please let me know as I'd love to do it.
28/04/2011 at 14:23

If I start training now, I might just manage it. Was thinking about doing the NDW 50 in august, so that might be a good training event for it, better get over to that thread and ask some questions ...

Dustboy    pirate
30/04/2011 at 00:08
It's on my birthday......30 hours of peace and quiet. hmmm, though how long can an ipod last?
GKD
30/04/2011 at 10:50
Oh dear Dustboy, you don't want to open that particular Pandoras box
GKD
18/05/2011 at 19:58

I only 'discovered' ultras recently and now I'm obsessed with completing one! The Thames Path 100 is the goal - but can't commit until I at least have done 50 in the late Summer/ Autumn.

Only started running a couple of years ago, and very, very slow.

Good luck with the training everyone. There is a song on the radio at the moment called 'slow down'. My favourite on the long runs!

I'm on Facebook if you're interested.... Martin Maudsley

19/05/2011 at 11:37

I've entered this race it looks like a great first 100 miler. I am also doing the Toad Challenge as a training run - I did another XNRG event in April/May - the Pony Express - and can very highly recommend their events! Am entered for the Kent Challenge Hub in July as a 50 miler - anyone else doing this one?

I am wondering about lining up some pacers - do others plan to use pacers for the TP100?

19/05/2011 at 17:14

Hi Runningbikechick

I am doing thames path and planning to use my brother in law as a pacer for the last 30 miles if everything goes ok. I am also planning to do the toad in september, but have not signed up yet , as i am injured at the moment, but as soon as i am back running i will be signing up. Good luck with the training and hopefully see you there

28/05/2011 at 11:05

Having just ran my first 50 miler last weekend the Cardiff Ultra and loved every minute of it I think its now time to consider running 100 miles. With this event being 9 months away that should be enough time to prepare for this one...............I hope

On a practical note to those in the know how important do you rate having a pacer at these types of distances ???? I have no idea

Cheers lou

30/05/2011 at 18:42

Thanks Wayne, yeah hope to see you at the Toads and hope your injury heals up soon, good luck with getting back into training

That's a good question Lou, and one that I've been wondering about ... I think it sounds really sensible - for moral support and practical help - in a race of that length, and from what I've read pacers can be really invaluable. So I have started trying to line a pacer or two up. I'd really love to do it for someone else sometime, I think it sounds like a nice long training run with no pressure 

30/05/2011 at 18:55

I've the West Highland Way in 18 days time. Will see if I can face any more if I complete this. Finally onto tapering now - phew.

Never used a pacer as such and often they're not allowed till about half way. They are then more of a pychological boost than a pacer and most welcome. The pacer is really needed in the first 20 miles to get than speed way down.

I've no idea how easy the route of the Thames 100 will - is it easy to follow? Coming from Scotland it would be a long way  to do a recce.

30/05/2011 at 20:06

Hiya Hillheader - yes it is pretty easy to follow, I live in London so run some of the southern sections of it quite regularly and have started to check out the race route. It's mostly a beautiful and varied trail and, as the race site says, no real navigation problems. 

Yes I've heard pacers are more about psychological support, lying by telling you how great you look when you look shocking and as if you're about to expire, and talking you out of dropping out of the race I'm definitely going to use one for if can, I think it must be tough in the latter stages, especially with the lack of sleep and night time running in a 100 miler  It sounds like a big leap from 50 mile races to 100 miles. Can't wait though!!

04/06/2011 at 19:53

Hi runningbikechick- I too am doing the 50 mile challenge in July- my first 50 miler! Did my first 50K in Feb (London Ultra) so now stepping up! Hope to see you there

Jenny

04/06/2011 at 20:53

That's great Jenny I did the London Ultra too, it was my first ultra and responsible for my slowly getting hooked on them

Good luck with your training and hope to see you at the Kent Challenge

04/06/2011 at 21:46
Should be a good event, I am looking forward to there NDW 100/50/MARA races this August, I should be doing the 50 or the Ridgeway 85, unfortunately family commitments rule out the NDW100.
In my experience, on an event that involves going through the night you are hopefully going to end up running with someone of the same pace and this becomes your running buddy/pacer and the aim is to keep each other going. Running through the night on an Ultra is something that you may find OK and you just tick along and don't fall under the spell of the sleep monsters, and when the sun starts to come up you start to come back to life (anti vampire is how a friend describes it). The hours of 2am to 5am are the worst as your body really wants you to sleep, being in the best physical shape you can will help, but it is a lot about mental strength as well, and not dropping your guard. Other than that, train hard and race easy, Just my 2 pence worth.
1 to 20 of 2,429 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.