Thames Ring Ultra.....?

260 Miles...?

361 to 379 of 379 messages
01/07/2009 at 19:24

Hi

Sorry this is a bit late but have been a bit poorly (not TR250, more cold from kids then trying to run a half mara Sat night - but it was a nice course - thanks for the strawberries Nick)

Duncan - well done indeed and hope your op went well, pleasure to support you, can't think how i would have reacted to such a dreadful thing happening

Deadliest - thanks for the reply on the BF site - hopefully the book can provide some suggestions for sorting the feet

Lucy - thanks for the pics and updates - very exciting and essential viewing over the weekend

Paddy - great to meet you at CP4

Cheers All

KJ

02/07/2009 at 08:34

Hi KJ - A very exciting weeked indeed - a privilege to be in the thick of it!

Jon was talking to Henry Kelly on Radio  Berkshire on Monday 30th June . Wind on to 2:48 to hear it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p003j56k/Henry_Kelly_30_06_2009/

04/07/2009 at 12:26

Well surprisingly I'm just about right to get out there and start doing some miles again. Its not easy not to run.

One thing I'd like to add which has been said before but can never be overstated was the superb commitment the Marshalls,Officials, Checkpoint Helpers etc put into this Race.
Many of the helpers were just not out there for 12 hour shifts but were helping out for 4 days straight with just catching a couple of hours sleep in Tents,Vans,Cars or even popping home for a quick shut eye and then getting back to the race with only the Runners needs paramount in their mind.
I have never ever seen such selfless commitment which goes beyond impressive.

I feel above all its these people that have made this Race the Great Race that it is.

04/07/2009 at 17:50

it's just the people who actually competed who are nuts

05/07/2009 at 23:28

Hi all,

Congratulations to all the 'tough guys' who completed this event and well done to those who attempted it and didn't make it.

I was a bit dissapointed that my chum Christian Hottas didn't get a mention. For those of you who don't know him (he lives in Hamburg) and, as far as I know he is third in the world for the number of Marathons/ultras run, well over 1000! I believe he has completed GUC three times including this year so deserves some recognition.

Well done to Dick and the crew for another great event, wish I could have been there. Maybe next time!

In the meantime I have a 6 day race in Sweden to prepare for.

AndrewSmith    pirate
05/07/2009 at 23:49
I remember Christian, he is the lazy sod who kept me and Henk waiting at Hamborough till ten to midnight. Tell him he needs to do some speedwork.
06/07/2009 at 08:23

Hi Andrew,

We can't all be speed merchants! It took me nearly 47 hours to walk the Wessex 100 but I could keep going for ever. But is was extremely rough underrfoot. I was awake for 55 hours that wekend.

06/07/2009 at 08:35
i'm not sure but i'd wager smithy's comment was tongue in cheek....although....
06/07/2009 at 08:45
I would like to give an honorable mention to Ian and Joan, who operated the bag drops with greater-than military precision (although I don't think they do t'internet so we can say what we like about them!). They also slept in their van for 5 days and gave up the opportunity of a real bed on Saturday so they could sit by Abingdon weir all night and stop any lost souls from blundering through a worrying gap in the hedge - apparently it looked like a path but ended in oblivion!
06/07/2009 at 08:48
Oh - it was Cliff who sat by the weir too - he who also provided all the pies (FOC)!
06/07/2009 at 09:48

Just to prove the guys who ran this are totally nuts.  I did the tanners 30 yesterday and gues who was there none other than Pete Johnson who said "im just going to have a little jog round" and then ran off into the distance finishing 30 very hot very hilly miles in a "slow" 5 and a half hours.   Bllomin amazing

06/07/2009 at 18:10
joan does internet i think
06/07/2009 at 20:33
Probably does Lurker - all I ever see her do is lift heavy bags tho... (just like all I do is stand around talking b0llox)
06/07/2009 at 20:41
she can also run like the wind
i have been stalking her on local races recently - i knew she could run long but i had not realised she can do short and fast too
06/07/2009 at 20:41

hey - lucy, i can do that too

06/07/2009 at 20:45

If anyone wants an entry form for next years Crawley 12 hour and Marathon please send me an S.A.E. or e mail me. 10th of April - see RW events.

It's great preparation for GUC! Ask Peter Johnson.......

06/07/2009 at 20:59

If only i hadn't been going in the wrong direction at 220 miles then i too may have finished but it was a great race anyway.I have to say all the check point crews, the organisers and the base camp staff were absolutely brilliant, so helpful.

07/07/2009 at 09:55
HI Andrew - I think everyone was glad to help, it was a hugely positive experience for lots of people (a case of 'rather them than me' maybe!). Too bad you couldn't make the checkpoint after going upstream for several miles, but you probably did the full distance anyway! Hope you will be back for the sequel in 2011.
07/07/2009 at 15:38

Glad this is still going - it was an unforgettable event.

Well done Christian. We spent a lot of time together on GUCR 08. I think unstoppable is the word for him

Andy I - it was a pleasure supporting you. No doubt see you next time

Cheers all

KJ

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
361 to 379 of 379 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.