Thames Trot 50 Training

too soon?

341 to 360 of 430 messages
01/02/2013 at 18:29
Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)
Thought cp4-5 was trail still hence the suggestion of trail shoes.

One of the spreadsheets says 43 miles.

CP 4 to CP 5 is my local run and most of the towpath around Reading has been tarmac-ed, so still a towpath but hard standing. There is one smallish section of field and mud just past Reading but really we are talking maybe a mile or so. I have run the section from Goring to Pangbourne and that will be the most slippery but for that 2 mile section the other 35+ of road will make all the difference with a less agressive shoe.

01/02/2013 at 18:47

Planning to get to Oxford station at 730ish.  Does that seem too late?

01/02/2013 at 18:52
Thanks Scott. So just normal road shoes then the whole way?
01/02/2013 at 18:55
Nice one Scott thanks for the route, much easier to just download. I know most of the route. There's a bit of a hill as you leave Caversham. Nice views.
01/02/2013 at 18:58

Yes for me but everyone has their own way of dealing with this sort of event. I look at the majority of the terrain and if the larger percentage is road then I use more of a road based shoe.Unitl the course was changed I was in Speedcross shoes but not now. I have done most of the road section before in previous training and the B4009 from CP2 to CP3 is a really long road drag and mostly uphill all that section. I know it really well and that is the part that will hit the mental strength the hardest. If you have back up then maybe a change of shoes for the CP5 to Finish section might be an idea.

01/02/2013 at 19:00
Scott Forbes 3 wrote (see)

Here is the final route, even the CP5-Finsh section. 

http://www.movescount.com/routes/route216280-Thames_Trot_13

You can then export from movescount in a GPX or KML file if you want to but Google earth on an iPhone is by the best way to find your way around the course.

Looks like it is about 42-ish miles. That's road miles so lots of pounding.

If anyone missed it first time around.

01/02/2013 at 19:05

Excellent - thanks! Have imported it into Garmoin.Connect

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/268381533

01/02/2013 at 19:33

Here is the final route, even the CP5-Finsh section. 

http://www.movescount.com/routes/route216280-Thames_Trot_13

You can then export from movescount in a GPX or KML file if you want to but Google earth on an iPhone is by the best way to find your way around the course.

Looks like it is about 42-ish miles. That's road miles so lots of pounding.

If anyone missed it first time around.

thats brilliant thanks have got it on my watch now

01/02/2013 at 20:13
Karma, 7:30 at the station should be fine (so long as your train isn't running late).
The quickest road route between the checkpoints is just 35 miles so I'm guessing that the various trail bits meander somewhat!
I think the organisers want us to run along the towpath and cycle route up to Kennington at the start but it's underwater (see earlier photo posted on this forum). So theyll have to rethink that bit (and therefore probably some other trail bits as well).
I'm planning to race after completing an easy three miles today without pain, but if the route is short that will probably be good for me. So long as it's over 35 miles it'll still be the furthest I've ever run.
01/02/2013 at 20:21

That route mostly looks OK, but:

I think that you go to the right of the church after Appleford to pick up the cycle route.

There's a little lane off the main road we're using straight after CP2 (it comes back out on the A4074 a little further down)

Still undecided about footwear. I guess my trail shoes'll be good enough most places.

01/02/2013 at 20:31
I did my last long 30 mile run in my cushioned trail shoes so I think I'll stck to those. At least they are quite new, unlike my road shoes, the best pair of which already have 500 miles in them.
01/02/2013 at 21:09

Here's what I know of the terrain from having run quite a lot of the route up to Goring over the past few weeks 

Start the first part may be wet, but probably not muddy, then road all the way to Culham ,then road, trail, road, v muddy between Wittenham and Shillingford then road to Benson and then all road to Goring.  

From above messages it looks like Goring to Purley has a couple of miles of trail, then towpath to Sonning, and the last hilly part to Henley includes some woods which have been v muddy recently. 

So still really unsure about shoes.  May just toss a coin.  But probably the Shillingford stretch says Trail shoes. 

PK

01/02/2013 at 21:31
I've got the option to change shoes at CP2 Benson from road to trail or even the other way around. would that make sense?

Which is likely the worst section mud & trail ?
01/02/2013 at 22:07
Back to hokas for me. Haven't got the foggiest about the route. Should be fun though.

Parked outside the pub in my camper now. Bloody cold but at least I won't be late
02/02/2013 at 06:48
Just realised my train doesn't get in til 7:43... Cutting it a bit fine! If anyone else is getting the shuttle bus can u mention that someone is getting there late-ish and will require a shuttle... Cheers peeps
02/02/2013 at 09:41
I had to drop out after less than four miles. Now standing at the roundabout waiting for a lift home and acting as an impromptu marshal for the last few stragglers. Hugely disappointed, but I was already limping a little and it just wasn't worth crippling myself just to see how far I could get. There's always next year.
02/02/2013 at 17:32

done

now sore and tired sitting at home with a well earned cup of tea

02/02/2013 at 19:24

Hooray for Hokas

So glad i didn't wear trail shoes that must have been 35 mile on rd.

Fair play for go beyond for getting it on but i would never normally run on main roads without paths. I'm safe in the knowledge that i will never run on that road into Goring again or even worse the one out of Sonning.

Don't know how many people got lost but didn't see many people using their maps. So glad i took the time to plot the diversions on the map.

Hello Neil  thanks for today always a pleasure to buddy up. Glad you didn't drop.

02/02/2013 at 19:27
Hope everyone had a decent run, even if it was on road, and made it through to the end. At least the weather was good.
02/02/2013 at 19:38
Just had a great run. The roads weren't too much of a problem to me, preferable to slippy mud or being at home doing the diy.
Good company along the way and I always enjoy the train journey home.
After loading the route into my garmin I never had a problem.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.