Thames Trot 50 Training

too soon?

141 to 160 of 430 messages
31/12/2012 at 10:54

Just hope they mark the eventual course thoroughly...

Re. wet feet: I've always thoroughly coated my feet with Vaseline before putting on my double-skinned socks for any long run in which I thought I'd get wet feet. So far, no blisters... (that includes Greater Manchester Marathon and Croydon 30 during 2012, both run in pouring rain, and in the case of M'cr, involving splashing through some deep puddles).

31/12/2012 at 13:20
Hi All

Been lurking for a while, also entered this as my first, training has just been concentrating in time on feet rather than distance although have done a couple of 4 hr /20 mile plods! Hoping that the excitement of the day gets me round! Planning on a Marlow to Windsor and back next weekend if anyone is slow enough to join me! (I know wrong bit but a towpaths a towpath?)
31/12/2012 at 13:29

Hey all, some good training going on.

I managed a couple of 20 milers last week, which doesn't sound much, but after the car incident, I'm pretty happy with that. I'm going to try a 30 in the next week or so, and if that isn't hell, then I'll feel okay about the event.

31/12/2012 at 14:55

Tiago: "A couple of 20 milers last week" sounds like loads to me (one run 10 miles in the last four weeks)...

Matt: welcome, good luck and enjoy.

Edited: 31/12/2012 at 14:55
31/12/2012 at 15:15
Debra ta, i've been reading the reviews from last year which are useful on what to expect and some good advice about psychology (hang on to the 30 mile mark then the end is mentally in sight!). Matt - welcome!
NID
31/12/2012 at 20:34
Hi all and welcome Matt - great running by lots of you and similar levels of doubt and anxiety to me from some too (comforting in a way!). My injuries have settled into hamstring on upper left side and adductor strain on right (close to a suspected inguinal hernia) so all good then! Ended this year on @2,246 miles with 3 sub 3 marathons out of 3 but nothing longer. Have entered the Warwickshire XC Championship next week for some XC practice but am really concerned about seeing it through the whole 50. Mumbai mara on 20th Jan will give me some idea on how the injuries will cope with distance - have applied to be a pace maker for 4:30 to ensure I run at a slow steady pace but not sure I'll get it as never done it before. Confident in my steady pacing ability though and something I'd like to get into anyway.

Best wishes and good luck all. Happy New Year!
01/01/2013 at 13:49
Since this is also my first ultra, I'm hoping that the get-to-thirty-miles-and-just-hang-on thing works. I was just about OK until 30 miles on Sunday, but the last five almost killed. There's no way I could have run any further, but I'm hoping that a taper and walk/run strategy will get me to GBR finish.
On the alternative route possibilities - there's a big hill between Henley and Oxford which is only avoided by following the river (the towpath is twice as far as the most direct road route). I suspect that any alternative route, whether road or trail, is likely to involve a hill at some point.
01/01/2013 at 15:27
Hello all, happy new year!!!!
Wonder if we could do 50m of the kennet & Avon canal instead? Obviously similar profile, and not flooded
X training with a days xc skiing tomorrow I hope
01/01/2013 at 19:18

Happy New Year everyone - let's hope it's full of good running!

Ran a total of 21 miles today, including four miles at 8 mins/mile (club self-handicap) before going on to do the rest of the run, which was probably a mistake, but at least I've done my first 20+ in... too long, and my ankle was only very slightly tender. Upset a tendon behind my left knee (on the outside) - done this before but can't remember much about it as an injury - hope it settles by tomorrow as I'd like to do c.10 miles in the evening. After a month of much-reduced running I've got a LOT of leg-fitness to regain in the next month (cardiovascular fitness appears to be fine).

Can't believe TT is only a month away. Hoping we have some drier weather and the course can be along the Thames as planned.

01/01/2013 at 20:59
Need shoe advice....
I've been mostly road running recently recently, and am very happy with my Saucony Omni Progrids - I need a stability shoe as I overpronate. They have rubbish grip though, and I think will struggle given the recent wet.
My trail shoes are Onnov8 315s which are great, but have very little cushioning and I suspect that 50 miles will be really hard in them, and the lower heel would
Make any Achilles issues worse.
Any thoughts on a stability shoe with a really good grip but decent cushioning? I know that's all wrong as far as hard core off-roady folk go, but suspect for the mainly flat but muddy TT that's what I need.... Advice appreciated!
NID
01/01/2013 at 21:52
Not sure how they compare to the omni's but saucony do a trail version of their guide shoe which could be worth looking at!
02/01/2013 at 10:55

Morning all and a happy new year.

Looking forward to this and hope the weather stays a little drier for the next few weeks so we can stick to following the Thames path.

My longest run for this will be the Winter Tanners in a few weeks time, and I will definately be 'clinging on' in the last 20 miles of the TT50.

Happy and safe training everone.

02/01/2013 at 12:48

Hi Charlotte, looks like there will be a gathering at Winter Tanners... I'll be the small woman wearing a teal Salomon vest 10+3 litre backpack (no idea what colours of other clothing I'll be wearing yet, but I'm pretty certain about the backpack).

04/01/2013 at 14:08

Hi Debra,

I run with a light blue/grey Salomon back pack. I have just downloaded the route description for Winter Tanners and I am hoping its easier to follow once we are out there! 

04/01/2013 at 14:27

Hi Charlotte, okay, I'll look out for you/your backpack. Height and hair colour? (I'm five ft 2 with short dark hair)

I did the Dunstable Downs Challenge (20 mile option - in 27-28C heat) which is self-guided and that was mostly okay. They do tend to make more sense once you're "on the ground". I'm going to have the OS map with me just in case it's helpful. The "final instructions" points out the directions are intended to get you round safely, not get you lost.

07/01/2013 at 08:21

Training/ankle news: Ankle much better! Not quite 100%, but I think just residual adhesions/stiffness now.

I've run a smidgen (0.1 miles!) under 60 miles from 1st Jan to yesterday inclusive - which is two to three times per week what I managed in December. I've decided that yesterday's 22 miles on legs tired after an 8K very muddy cross-country race on Saturday counts as my back-to-back (also that ramping up to 70 mpw by running today would be a step too far) so I've declared today a rest day, putting me back onto my "normal" Tue-Wed-Thur/Sat-Sun running schedule. I have another XC/long run combo planned for next weekend, then Winter Tanners on 20th, which should give me a good indication how my legs will hold out for TT50.

Very, very glad I decided to keep on with the B2Bs after NDW50 (if only every third week) and keep my general fitness level up. Hopefully that means the loss of mileage during December will translate into a slower time at TT50 rather than a DNS or DNF (hopefully!),

07/01/2013 at 12:42

Had a bit of a wobble, after four weeks' good training. So I decided to take it easy but still managed 60km in four runs.

You can, at least, see the towpath at Iffley again, although it was still under a couple of inches of water in places on Saturday.

07/01/2013 at 16:10

Water levels around Oxford are definitely now receding, though the ground is so saturated that any heavy rainfall will just lead to flooding again. Even if it doesn't rain for the next month the ground along the whole course will be extremely wet and muddy so I reckon off-road shoes are a must.

07/01/2013 at 16:23

Hi all,

Good to hear that the water levels are going down, and lets hope that it doesn't rain too much over the next few weeks.

Debra - will look out for you at Winter Tanners, I am 5'8 and have long brown/auburn hair. 

07/01/2013 at 17:47

the whole course will be extremely wet and muddy so I reckon off-road shoes are a must

Unless its frozen solid, presumably

141 to 160 of 430 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.