The Druid Challenge Ridgeway Ultra 2012

84 Miles, 3 Day, Multistage Ultra November 9th -11th

61 to 80 of 209 messages
03/10/2012 at 20:44

erm..could do????

03/10/2012 at 22:56

Is this run from west to east?  If so Ivinghoe Beacon is a little bit of a punishing finish.  If it is this direction the descent into Wendover will be wild!  You'll be scattering pedestrians in all directions.

You shouldn't have nav problems in the Chilterns - the waymarks are very frequent and clear.  A lot of this section is in trees and will probably be quite muddy by now.

Look forward to seeing various of you for the full distance in Aug 2013 (east to west).

04/10/2012 at 12:11

No - it starts at Ivinghoe and doesn't go all the way to Avebury, but finished at a rather nice hotel down (then up) the road from Barbury Castle.

04/10/2012 at 14:38

T Rex ....will be there for the full distance in 2013 shall i bring the marmite sandwiches??

07/10/2012 at 23:38

loulabell - at the CPs they ask what you want in your sandwiches but it might be a good idea to bring a small jar of marmite in case they haven't got it.

Can't say anything about nav on the North Wessex Downs in the day - I've only ever been up there at night when you can't often see the waymarks, and in any case there are a bewildering variety of different-coloured markers for footpaths, bridleways, permitted paths, byways open to traffic, etc as well as our friend the white acorn which all look the same at night. 

08/10/2012 at 12:09

I did 10.5 miles on Saturday and 8 on Sunday - plantar fasciitis seems to have completely gone.  Exciting times!! Fingers crossed for a good week this weekend and if it's followed by a good weekend, I reckon I'll get my name down for the 3 dayer here.

Who's done this before?  What is there to do in the afternoons / evenings?  Is it a case of chilling out, scoffing as much food as possible and sleeping.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have a whole lot of time 'free' at the end of each day, but I haven't done a multi-day in the UK before so would appreciate any insight!

Really hope I can make it.  Loula - possible recce on the weekend of the 27 / 28 Oct?  Just a vague idea, but doing a 15 - 20 mile section of somewhere at that end of the course could be useful for race day...would still give 2 weeks to taper and recover.

08/10/2012 at 14:10

Previously there has been a talk on Saturday night - and a small prize giving ceremony.  The leisure centre had a bar - but lost it's licence, however, there is beer, cider and wine available to buy and a mini library of books related to adventure running which you can borrow. 

08/10/2012 at 14:15

Sounds good B.B.H.  Have you entered?  I'm going to suck it up and just enter now - can't be bothered to wait!

08/10/2012 at 16:11

James - good news about the plantar fasciitis, heres hoping all remains well and you will enter for all 3 days.

08/10/2012 at 17:57

Thanks Charlotte - yup, all signed up and ready to go!  Are you in for all 3 days, I forget, sorry!

08/10/2012 at 18:17

Really hope I can make it.  Loula - possible recce on the weekend of the 27 / 28 Oct?  Just a vague idea, but doing a 15 - 20 mile section of somewhere at that end of the course could be useful for race day...would still give 2 weeks to taper and recover.

i have Abingdon mara on 21st and did a section of NDWay saturday , will maybe see how i feel after Abingdon. which part are you recceing? wantage to Avebury? the only bit i need to recce is Ivinghoe to watlington really

08/10/2012 at 20:11

James - have entered - just looking forward to the various forms of mud to be encountered on the way..

08/10/2012 at 20:41
Hi loula, no I only really need to recce from Ivinghoe too. That may work. Well, don't need to plan it now, but Ivinghoe to watlington would be ideal if that works.
16/10/2012 at 15:05

Not too long til this one now...I'm thinking of doing a recce (hopefully with loula if she's not just too darn knackered from Abingdon ) of the first day of the Druid from Ivinghoe at some point.  I realise it's getting late in the day, but I have a few free weekends so if anyone is keen, perhaps on the 27th October, let me know? 

Its' the end of the course I don't know and I've heard it's the worst signed part..and also the hilliest, but then I may not be interested to know about that!

Also, does anyone have a Garmin Forerunner?  I have the 310xt and Brian, the RO of the Druid Ultra, has sent me the gpx data of the route.  Stupid question, but can i put the route onto my watch?  What's the point? Just to follow it like a GPS so I don't get lost? Or can you then set pacings / time alerts and all that fancy jazz once it's uploaded?

Is it easy to upload?!

Questions questions!!

Well I hope trainings going well for everyone...quite looking forward to this now!

16/10/2012 at 16:43

Lou - are we still thinking of recce-ing this? Or are we being sensible bearing in mind current injuries/illness, Abo, etc?!?

James - I have a Garmin - it tells me average pace, total distance and total time - apparently it will do a LOT more, but i've never bothered getting past that first screen - that tells me everything I need to know...for the rest I use a map and common sense...

Actually, on a connected note James - I've not heard that the end is the hilliest, but I have heard from a couple of people that the end is the hardest to route find? Lou and I have run from Princes Ris. to Wallingford, that was okay, and from Sparsholt Firs to the end near Avebury and I didn't think it was as hilly. Route finding wise it seemed to make sense to me, but that may have been luck If you're thinking of recce-ing it may make more sense to do that section, as you'll be most tired, least attentive etc?

16/10/2012 at 17:28

Hi Ultrarocker,

Yeah I can use all the standard stuff on the Garmin – ave. pace and whatnot – but have no idea about uploading a route onto the watch or indeed what the point of that is!  We’ll see.  You’re right though, common sense should prevail...hopefully.

That’s interesting that you’ve heard the other end (Day 3) is more hilly…I live near Avebury and it’s certainly not ‘hilly’ as such - more “lumpy” and rolling I’d say.  I think I’ll still try and get up to Ivinghoe a couple of weeks before the race just to familiarise myself with it a little…can’t do anything but help (unless I find the going tough!) so if anyone wants to join, let me know. 

16/10/2012 at 17:34
Hey James, sorry, didn't make myself clear. I've not heard Avebury end is the hilliest, and it certainly didn't seem it when we ran there a few weeks ago? I've heard that Ivinghoe end is hillier? The section from Princes Risborough to Wallingford was hillier than the end section we ran I think, but it still wasn't too bad (my last ultra was in the Peak District so my ideas of hilly may be a bit off lol!!! )
16/10/2012 at 17:47

James,

I have just learn't how to transfer the GPX route to my Garmin and think its brilliant. First thing you need to do is register a Garmin connect account here http://connect.garmin.com/. The sites quite confusing so if you want to give me a call I can talk you through it in about 5 minutes.

I ran the Ridgeway back in September. The last 20 miles was probably the most difficult to follow and had the least amount of signs.

16/10/2012 at 17:53

james/ rocker..... im in Oxfordshire and everything is flat!! but i didnt think the last stretch from wantage to Avebury was hilly at all!! and a speedbump is hilly to me!...neither did i think there was a problem with signage....was i running the right event course???????

rocker whadya reckon? if i can get the sat or sun dyu think we will be ok to recce?

16/10/2012 at 18:25
Lou - errrmmm, not sure. As we've talked about a lot these last few days...end of a long season, niggles, illness etc. Why don't we see how we are Monday? Can always decide then? You know I'll come run with you any day lol, but just thinking about long term ya know!
61 to 80 of 209 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.