The Druid Challenge Ridgeway Ultra 2012

84 Miles, 3 Day, Multistage Ultra November 9th -11th

1 to 20 of 209 messages
10/09/2012 at 17:57

I could not see a thread for this years event even though there is only 2 months to go. This will be my first taste of any kind of ultra and would love to hear from others that are doing it or have done it. I understand that two masseurs each night so make sure you bring some cash to get patched up and put back together each night. Who's been doing what kind of training? Let's get a great thread going.

10/09/2012 at 19:26

Hi Julian

I've entered just the one day - so i'll be there at the start on Friday, but then unfortunately that's it! Really looking forward to it though, have run about half of the Ridgeway in total with some friends from another part of the forum - it's such a great varied route...

10/09/2012 at 19:39

all i saw on that first post was 'masseurs' !!!! im in on the first day...but i can feign a lot of injury if it means a massage!!

10/09/2012 at 19:55

Knowing our luck Lou you'd get the masseuse and i'd get the masseur!

11/09/2012 at 11:05

Hills and mud are good preparation.  Although no really big climbs there are enough long slow hauls are short steep slopes to be quite challenging.

11/09/2012 at 11:47

Thanks Ultrarocker & Loulabell, I had to laugh at your replies  Just for the record my Lord, I cannot be responsible for the gender of the people who provide the massages. 

Bear B.Hind - hills I am ok with but mud may present a few issues being a multi-day event. Whats the best advice re shoes? I was going to take 2 pairs, thinking that when one gets wet, I wear the other while the pair dries out. Does this make sense? Or do I need 3 of everyhing? Being my first ultra I don't want to break the bank but I also don't want to buy stuff that I don't need. Cheers.  

GKD
11/09/2012 at 14:32
Does anyone know where the individual days begin and end? Might be tempted to do a couple of days as a warm up for the winter 100, I've had a look at the xnrg site but the link provided wants me to buy a running app before I can download the route
GKD
11/09/2012 at 14:36

If you just look at the basic route descriptions it tells you the starts and finishes...

http://www.xnrg.co.uk/druid2012.htm

11/09/2012 at 16:15

I would take at least 2 pairs of shoes.  As you say you can let one pair dry out during day 2 (I take newspaper to stuff them with).  As day 2 will end earlier you can unpack them and give them a further chance to air.  I prefer taking 3 of everything, but that's just me.  The sports complex we stay at on day 2 is quite airy and warm - so providing it does not pour down every day with a bit of luck you can get away with 2 changes of gear.

12/09/2012 at 16:39

3 of everything?????????? 

12/09/2012 at 16:46

We're only doing one day Lou - we don't need 3 of anything....

12/09/2012 at 16:48

be lucky if i remember 1 of anything

12/09/2012 at 16:55

You've never forgotten anything yet...

GKD
12/09/2012 at 18:06
Hmm, had a look at the website but it seems a little pricey for what it is, I'd probably only want to do the second and third days with no accommodation needed and 96 quid is a little much I feel. I take it I'm right in thinking its running from north east to south west? And roughly 27 ot 28 miles a day?
GKD
12/09/2012 at 18:15
Yes, starts at Ivinghoe and heads south west. Think it's 31 on day one, 30 ish on day two, and about 25 on day three (I may be a little out on that?!)
Must admit 3 day seems much better value than individual days, especially if you were going to do two....
GKD
12/09/2012 at 18:19
Not getting a great feel for it through their site, the rd is a friend of fiends of mine and is spoken of highly but the events seem overpriced and to Even download the route you need a paid for app. Think I'll give it a miss, there's others out there for less
GKD
12/09/2012 at 18:29
That's an interesting point. You're obviously way more experienced than me, but I agree about an event "feeling right". You put yourself through a lot in an ultra so you need to feel positive about the whole thing, from before the start onwards.
12/09/2012 at 20:50
Lirish, interesting that you're not getting a good feeling. Although this will be my first ultra, I have the opp feeling. I have been in contact the XNRG team both in email and on the phone and found them helpful. Anything in particular that is not doing it for you? After this I will be looking for a spring one day 56 challenge. Can anyone recommend a good spring 56 mile ultra somewhere in the south? I think this could get addictive!
GKD
12/09/2012 at 21:07
Julian as I said Neil is a friend of friend and I've heard good things about how the races are run, it just doesn't strike me as value for money. I know there was some issues with a race over the winter which some felt shouldn't have gone ahead for safety reasons. It may have been the Pilgrims Chalkenge?
Anyway as I say it's an entirely personal thing
GKD
12/09/2012 at 22:32

I think both arguments are fair. The best part of £100 just to run down a public footpath is very expensive, but if you were using the accom/meals and making a weekend of it then it becomes pretty good value.

1 to 20 of 209 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.