The Grim Reaper 2013

40/70/100 mile options - organised by Fat Feet

41 to 60 of 154 messages
13/01/2013 at 04:27

Practise going without sleep Steve! If you are fast you won't lose much sleep anyway! It's only slow buggers like me that take a full day to do the 70! And I went straight from 26 to 70....but there wasn't the 40 option in 2011....Think I would have done the 40 first, had the option been there....But no regrets, & SO glad I went straight to 70.

19/01/2013 at 22:03
I have done a couple of 24 hour races. I didn't practice going without sleep . Having said that I tend not to sleep very well and regularly wake several times in the night unable to get back to sleep for ages so maybe my poor sleep patterns have been good training!

Someone asked about Solomon recovery shoes. Do you mean the rx slide ? I have them they are realty comfy
21/01/2013 at 14:11

Thanks Guys- do like my sleep but do fancy a dark run so its 70 or 100 for me.

22/01/2013 at 10:06

Judging by the number of people stopping for a long sleep during Thunder Run 24 hour solo, I'd say a lot of people find running for an entire 24 hours quite hard....Not just because it's hard on your body being on your feet that long....but because of lack of sleep too. Maybe a lot depends on the individual, & age too. Younger people seem to find it easier to stay up all night. But there's quite a difference between just being able to stay up, & keeping running! As soon as it goes dark you just feel sleepy. Even if you don't normally. I wouldn't personally recommend doing a 24 hour race if you've never tried saying up that long.....You need to know how it feels...

15/03/2013 at 03:39

Anyone looking to do this one & wants to share advice, stories, future race plans, etc, feel free to add yourself to my ultra group, the "Grimsthorpe Massive" on Facebook.

It was initially set up to discuss the Grim Reaper ultras last summer, but all ultra runners, or those thinking of doing one, are welcome to join, even if you aren't doing this race.......Whether you are an expert that can offer advice, or new to ultras wanting to ask a question.

Tell us about the races you've done, training ideas, how your cat is, etc!!!!!

If you want info on the race there's all kinds of bits & bobs......training ideas, photos, race reports, etc, if you scroll back to last year....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371928772827520/

15/03/2013 at 03:41

It refuses to turn into a link! You'll have to copy & paste!

Grimsthorpe Massive

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371928772827520/

18/03/2013 at 21:29
I think this 24 hour thing is strange really and I worried about feeling tired and wanting to sleep as I am an early to bed person and hate stopping out late. I hate getting up early too I like my bed!

I have done 2 x 24 hour events and didn't stop at either of them for a sleep or even an extended break. I don't know why I didn't feel I had to, maybe because I had a goal I wanted to meet, maybe adrenaline. Now obviously a sleep would have been nice just like in a marathon a rest would be nice at half way. Don't get me wrong I felt tired but was able to keep going ( just!)

Thinking about it after I am wondering if it is because I don't sleep very well at night, I like my bed, like early nights, late mornings etc BUT I don't sleep very well, wake up loads take ages to get to sleep etc. so I wonder if I coped not too badly because I am used to lack of sleep? Took on caffiene in the night too which helped I think
19/03/2013 at 03:46

Interesting thought.....that if you aren't a good sleeper maybe you find the 24 hour races easier.....I tend to wake every few minutes....But also found the 24 hour races ok with no stopping or resting. 

As soon as it goes dark on an ultra I do find myseld getting sleepy, when normally I wouldn't.....But could keep going ok...

I just didn't even consider stopping on the three I've done....I think if a race is that important you'll just carry on whatever! 

20/03/2013 at 09:03

Caffeine I guess helps (you can always eat the granules to keep yourself awake). Down for the 100 miles and trying to get my pace and time on feet right.

Aiming for 5.5-6mph. Did a 4:30 marathon at Pitsford and had loads to spare. Finding it as hard to run 6mph pace as 8mph but guess just need to practice. I have 2 other ultras (Coventry & Northants) and 2 marathons in my training before August.

As a first timet, not going to rush- try and take it easy and make the discipline of running consitsently my target.

29/03/2013 at 19:15

I def want to do the 100 next year. 26 hours not enough time for me yet! So I've entered one with 36 hours! That's more like it!!

13/06/2013 at 00:37

Boing!

I've just entered the 40 miler and am thoroughly over excited

13/06/2013 at 16:55

Hi everyone,

I'm new here ... so please be gentle/harsh/rough with me ... (circle all three).  I'm looking at entering the 40 miler as my first venture into Ultra running.  Done 3 Ironman Triathlon events so got some fitness somewhere, but never run (or walk-run) over 26 miles before.  Doing a stand-alone marathon in early July.  

Any hints-tips for the a UR first timer?  Do people carry their own food or just leave it in the tent?

Thanks

Pete

20/06/2013 at 10:12

just entered the 70.

does anyone know if there is water/food at any point on the lap or do we need to carry enough for 10 miles.  If its a hot day that will be a lot of water for the later laps when I am slow so will determine what I use for carrying. Also tend to get quite hungry from about 35-40 miles so if nothing on the loop will prob go with rucksack

23/06/2013 at 22:11

Hey folks! Just about to enter the 70 myself too! 

My first ultra of the year but I'm uses to doithing saw things slightly under prepared now!!

anyone that's done thunder run 24hr aa well as this one able to give their comparison on the similarities of the loops? I loved the thunder run course but the time as opposed to distance format didn't really suit me.. Hopefully thsavouries will be fairly similar? 

happy training!

29/06/2013 at 10:30

my first ultra 40 for me,the events sold out i think

Cake    pirate
15/07/2013 at 12:40

Gang they capped the entry due to ordering so many medal's they have reopened it for fulks or you contact them on there e-mail but you won't get your medal on the day if you are a late entry will be posted to you.

Edited: 15/07/2013 at 12:40
16/07/2013 at 13:17

Seems to be approaching fast now! How's everybody getting on? 

I don't feel ready at all  but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless 

Cake    pirate
16/07/2013 at 13:24

Don't think it will bemy finesh hour but still it's going to get me out of the house. Little worried by the weather might make it a bit hot.

16/07/2013 at 14:42

yep, could be very hot indeed which is going to make the cut-off time even more difficult, but hey ho - it's gonna be a great day / night out whether it's a 25.59 or a DNF, right   

Cake    pirate
16/07/2013 at 15:02

Lucky for me just going to do the 40 if that's right way of saying it?

So will heckle the rest of you on after I finish. Thinking lots of suncream might be needed.

41 to 60 of 154 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.