The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,601 to 2,620 of 3,009 messages
05/01/2013 at 20:49

Hi all to familiar names..I'm here again for some advice (BTW hope all you nutters are well and still doing bonkers things)  Located a little challenge for February, Hardmoors 26.2 Osmotherley. I gather this is a new one for the organisers. Just want to know if you have experience of their events as very few people have entered this one so a little guarded as to whether to bother.

Cheers all

Brer x

GKD
05/01/2013 at 21:08
Brer this is one of the trail marathon series from the guys who do the ultra series, you'll definitely be in good hands and having done the Phoenix in the same area there's some fantastic running to be had too
GKD
05/01/2013 at 22:06

Cheers Lirish, my navigation is crap but the website assures me this isn't an issue. However, I love the countryside around there, so I reckon..I'm in

07/01/2013 at 21:13

Hi Brer,

Should be a good one, I'm likely to do this or others in series at least. I know the area from Phoenix and Hardmoors 55 which passes through Osmotherley, Will be great to have a chance to run a few new organised events in the beautiful and no doubt somewhat challenging (if like most of area) North York Moors. Having looked at course and knowing some of the paths I don't think it will be hard nav. I think it says only about a mile on road, but the paths in this area are often good hard packed trail. 

08/01/2013 at 02:15

brer - you'll be signing up for the 110 before you know it ...

10/01/2013 at 17:07

Thanks DE for info, cheers FR for encouragement and happy new year to you too.

TRex..110...thud..not that brave

12/01/2013 at 07:25

mmm brer..think i might just be tempted too..will have to consult his nib's diary and check he's not out chasing rabbits or the like that day

12/01/2013 at 09:20

Hey CD, great to hear from you...I'll follow Charlie if I get lost

12/01/2013 at 18:22

Poised to enter Hardmoors 26.2 series myself, just need to wait for payday and a few minutes dragged away from current care demands of youngun.He's on 3 hourly feeds atm, organising this is something like planning a nutrition/hydration strategy for a 50 mile ultra (bottles of this and that, quantities of milk, etc....)  Managing a few runs though, hopefuly a short LSR tomorrow.

Edited: 12/01/2013 at 18:24
12/01/2013 at 19:38

Totally f'ed off at the moment. Had Achilles and hip problems for most of the second half of 2012, Noro virus over crimbo, cold and chesty over new year, woke Monday couldn't move with bad back and finally had a vertigo attack at work on Tuesday and ended up in A+E. Worse of all i had to defer todays C2C entry.

Any one who says ultra runners are healthy is wrong in the head

Bit of a random post but my wife is sick of me moaning so i thought i'd let you lot have it. Thanks for listening.

12/01/2013 at 19:39

Would be great to meet you at last DE...pop him in your kitbag, he'll love a 26.2 mile run

13/01/2013 at 00:35

Hello, *Dill*.  A problem shared is a problem halved.  Got to be better for you this year, mate.  Mind you I think you still managed to knock out at least four hundreds last year which is good going by anyone's book.

You're all right, of course.  10 peaks it has got to be.  I've already printed out maps, plotted a route including trying to work out the best routes for the pathless sections, and have started planning my recces.  When I look at the Cotswold Way my eyes glaze over ...  I'll do it in 2014.  Perhaps.

Haven't actually pressed the enter button yet, though.

13/01/2013 at 00:37

Hello, *Dill*.  A problem shared is a problem halved.  Got to be better for you this year, mate.  Mind you I think you still managed to knock out at least four hundreds last year which is good going by anyone's book.

You're all right, of course.  10 peaks it has got to be.  I've already printed out maps, plotted a route including trying to work out the best routes for the pathless sections, and have started planning my recces.  But when I look at the Cotswold Way my eyes glaze over ...  I'll do it in 2014.  Perhaps.

Haven't actually pressed the enter button yet, though.

13/01/2013 at 00:38

Oops, what happened there?

13/01/2013 at 16:55

Thanks T. I was over the moon to finish four 100s last year but it did screw with my training and fitness. I was injured after SDW and spent the rest of the year trying to force recovery ready for my next one. Since the Pompey mara my body has rebelled and forced me to cut back. Mind you i am supposed to be fully resting as per the doc but have slipped in back to back 12 milers this weekend. Just have to feed my addiction. I'm determined to make the Winter tanners next weekend.

I do fully intend cutting back my 100+ races to just two this year and enter some smaller stuff. 10 peaks looks fantastic if i don't get in UTMB i may well consider it. I love the Brecons but it would be right out my comfort zone with the navigation. I'm ok with a map following paths but  i would worry when the clag comes in and it gets dark especially across open ground. I once got lost coming off of scafell pike in horrendous conditions. Added bloody miles to my day. Map was bloody useless that day (or should i say it was me that was useless.

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 16:56
GKD
13/01/2013 at 17:09
T Rex be sure to post up if you do any recce runs up that way, I'd be happy to join you as prep for the UTMB
GKD
13/01/2013 at 17:40

Thanks for that, Lirish, but I think you're one of the greyhound types aren't you?  I'd hold you up badly.

Once I've entered I'll say a bit more what my plans are.

15/01/2013 at 19:14

Hi all,

Bit of snow here and I've escaped new home duties briefly for a run out in it. Wonderful stuff, makes paths on the nearby in-town meadow unnecesary and I enjoyed 35mins criss-crossing it. Makes for a nice added challenge. Hoping for more at the weekend so I can run out of town and navigate a few of the muddy field, drains, tracks, paths for a challenging - if short - run. Which is probably the only type of run I'll be doing the next few weeks, so hills will have to wait awhile.

Hi Brer, see you there, I'll make sure I catch you if I do enter.

Hi Dill, hopefully your due a change in fortune, sounds quite a year though!

Good call T Rex, sounds a good challenge and your preparing well for it. I do fancy the lakes one still too, though it's a different ballgame to the more rolling to hilly trails of most events I'll probably do this year and chances for hill training will be more restricted this year (I doubt I'd get to lakes at all beforehand).... its still in my head  Also, as per Dill the navigational issues aren't lost on me either, I've not been up a lot of these peaks. But on the reasons to do side its not that long (closer to 50 than 100m), which is more trainable with more limited time outdoors. And I figure training to walk fast uphills is more important than running on such terrain so i could just do a big hill rep session once per week and otherwise run undulating routes or local flat routes fast.

Guess I'd do all these peaks and more on a BGR with same time limit, so that would be tougher?! But, I'm not sure I'm into the whole hassling lots of people to support me for one at the minute. I may take a THIRD option and run some kind of long distance route nearer to home unsupported as a big challenge instead.

WiB
16/01/2013 at 14:58

Sounds like a busy start to your year DE. A few people seem to be looking at self supported challenges this year, maybe that is the way 2013 will go.

*Dill* - You will get in to UTMB mate, have faith! Hopefully all your illness and injury worries are out the way in one go. It is worth practicing navigation, I have run with a couple of people who can navigate properly and it is a huge time saver. I am ok at it, can get myself around ok but I am a little slow at it! Need to take my own advice and practice it.

TR - Interested how the 10 peaks pans out for you. Looks fun!

I had a run out at C2C on Saturday, an easy 45 (actually just under 43) miles in the bank and getting ready to head out to Rocky Raccoon to start my year of racing. Feels strange training hard through the winter, apart from a little time out with niggles I haven't had a break in training really. Will be getting one sorted for the end of this year

WiB
17/01/2013 at 17:24

Hi WiB, thought for a second you'd done a coast-to-coast (C2C) at this time of year! Shared abbreviation . I agree it isn't the normal thing to train quite hard through winter, but I don't usually back off much and the footing conditions usually make each mile worth a bit (sometimes a lot) more even if the weather is fine.

Yes.... Self-supported challenge appeals as I can just decide all my own what's where's and why's and no cushy CP to dropout at Oh and its cheap (which is why a lot of peiople are considering this year I'll bet) When I did Wolds way I was a tad skint that month so quickly settled on plan. Walked to start from my house (a nice luxury at 0.5m away), made own sandwiches and only expense was a pot of pasta, energy drink powder (cheap) and cereal/choc bars for the road. No expense on route, till the end when I stumbled into Filey to get a can of coke at first open shop I'd passed for 70 miles. I did get a lift back from Clare, but all that cost me was a 2 portions of quality fish'n'chips with all the trimmings (NOT both for me). A lot less than a twenty quid all in I reckon

That is the obvious challenge in my area, will have to think outside the box a bit to find something different, but equally tough,"uncommon" and cheap.

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 17:26
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.