The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,601 to 2,620 of 2,979 messages
13/01/2013 at 17:40

Thanks for that, Lirish, but I think you're one of the greyhound types aren't you?  I'd hold you up badly.

Once I've entered I'll say a bit more what my plans are.

15/01/2013 at 19:14

Hi all,

Bit of snow here and I've escaped new home duties briefly for a run out in it. Wonderful stuff, makes paths on the nearby in-town meadow unnecesary and I enjoyed 35mins criss-crossing it. Makes for a nice added challenge. Hoping for more at the weekend so I can run out of town and navigate a few of the muddy field, drains, tracks, paths for a challenging - if short - run. Which is probably the only type of run I'll be doing the next few weeks, so hills will have to wait awhile.

Hi Brer, see you there, I'll make sure I catch you if I do enter.

Hi Dill, hopefully your due a change in fortune, sounds quite a year though!

Good call T Rex, sounds a good challenge and your preparing well for it. I do fancy the lakes one still too, though it's a different ballgame to the more rolling to hilly trails of most events I'll probably do this year and chances for hill training will be more restricted this year (I doubt I'd get to lakes at all beforehand).... its still in my head  Also, as per Dill the navigational issues aren't lost on me either, I've not been up a lot of these peaks. But on the reasons to do side its not that long (closer to 50 than 100m), which is more trainable with more limited time outdoors. And I figure training to walk fast uphills is more important than running on such terrain so i could just do a big hill rep session once per week and otherwise run undulating routes or local flat routes fast.

Guess I'd do all these peaks and more on a BGR with same time limit, so that would be tougher?! But, I'm not sure I'm into the whole hassling lots of people to support me for one at the minute. I may take a THIRD option and run some kind of long distance route nearer to home unsupported as a big challenge instead.

WiB
16/01/2013 at 14:58

Sounds like a busy start to your year DE. A few people seem to be looking at self supported challenges this year, maybe that is the way 2013 will go.

*Dill* - You will get in to UTMB mate, have faith! Hopefully all your illness and injury worries are out the way in one go. It is worth practicing navigation, I have run with a couple of people who can navigate properly and it is a huge time saver. I am ok at it, can get myself around ok but I am a little slow at it! Need to take my own advice and practice it.

TR - Interested how the 10 peaks pans out for you. Looks fun!

I had a run out at C2C on Saturday, an easy 45 (actually just under 43) miles in the bank and getting ready to head out to Rocky Raccoon to start my year of racing. Feels strange training hard through the winter, apart from a little time out with niggles I haven't had a break in training really. Will be getting one sorted for the end of this year

WiB
17/01/2013 at 17:24

Hi WiB, thought for a second you'd done a coast-to-coast (C2C) at this time of year! Shared abbreviation . I agree it isn't the normal thing to train quite hard through winter, but I don't usually back off much and the footing conditions usually make each mile worth a bit (sometimes a lot) more even if the weather is fine.

Yes.... Self-supported challenge appeals as I can just decide all my own what's where's and why's and no cushy CP to dropout at Oh and its cheap (which is why a lot of peiople are considering this year I'll bet) When I did Wolds way I was a tad skint that month so quickly settled on plan. Walked to start from my house (a nice luxury at 0.5m away), made own sandwiches and only expense was a pot of pasta, energy drink powder (cheap) and cereal/choc bars for the road. No expense on route, till the end when I stumbled into Filey to get a can of coke at first open shop I'd passed for 70 miles. I did get a lift back from Clare, but all that cost me was a 2 portions of quality fish'n'chips with all the trimmings (NOT both for me). A lot less than a twenty quid all in I reckon

That is the obvious challenge in my area, will have to think outside the box a bit to find something different, but equally tough,"uncommon" and cheap.

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 17:26
17/01/2013 at 21:20

Thanks guys hopefully I've turned a corner, vertgio almost gone and have managed to run 5 out of the last 6 days. Defo going to run Winter Tanners this weekend as long as tomorrows snow doesn't throw a spanner in the works.

I've had a go at naving WiB and i can get by ish. Just lots more practice needed. Glad to hear your going into RR what time you hoping for? I hear it's a quick course. Didn't Ian Sharman run it in 12 hr something?

Funny DE you talking about self supported challanges. I'm 40 this year and my 40th falls mid week so no races to do on the day. I have thinking of doing a solo 3 peaks challange on my birthday. Just to see how quick i can do it and make a change from a family meal at the harvester. Might be fun.

Doctor did say i need a more stable diet so i'm off to Tescos for some burgers

WiB
17/01/2013 at 21:37
To be honest Dill I am not chasing a time. I am aiming purely for a solid run. I would like to go through 50 by 7:30 and hope to not slow too much.

He did indeed run 12:44 there.

Sounds a good birthday present mate have fun at tanners too!

Sorry DE, didn't mean to confuse anyone. Certainly no coast to coast!
WiB
17/01/2013 at 22:01

Hmmm seems bloody quick to me..

WiB
18/01/2013 at 10:09

It is a bit fast isn't it! $25,000 to anyone who beats his or Jenn Sheltons 100 mile time at Indiana 100 this year. 12:32 is the world record for a trail 100 I think.

No place in CCC for me, any tips on a good race in Aug or Sept. Would love to go out to Europe or States and have a couple out there that fit, but not sure it is feasible money wise so trying to find UK races as well. Ridgeway is top of the list at the moment.

WiB
GKD
18/01/2013 at 10:47
I have a time in mind I'm fairly sure you're good for WiB, I won't tell you what it is until afterwards. Sorry to hear you didn't get into the CCC, fancy the Laverdo in June?
GKD
WiB
18/01/2013 at 11:16

I am running SDW100 in June mate. August/Sept is the only gap in my year now.

WiB
GKD
18/01/2013 at 11:33
That Swiss Iron trail looks awesome and it's about the right time isn't it? First week in August?
GKD
WiB
18/01/2013 at 12:02

Yeah good spot, someone else just mentioned that one to me as well. Close to Lakeland 50 but there is an 80k option which could be fun

WiB
18/01/2013 at 13:30

Lirish - I fancy the Laverdo, but will be a future year for me, looks good from site and video. Ohhhh, wish you hadn't mentioned the Irontrail, that page is marked in my favbourites for future years now

WiB
18/01/2013 at 13:41

Fancy a trip out for a swift 80k DE?!

WiB
GKD
18/01/2013 at 13:56
Reckon you can earn enough daddy credits to get in another trip abroad this year DE?
Go on WiB, you know you want to
GKD
WiB
18/01/2013 at 14:00

Just worked it out that the 80k race is £160. Although flights seem ok with easy jet about £70 - £80 return. Hotel shouldn't be too bad for a night or 2.

WiB
GKD
18/01/2013 at 14:19
Do it, do it
GKD
18/01/2013 at 14:25

Im going to join you lot in here.   Is this wear you talk about Backpacks?  ((JOKE LI)

18/01/2013 at 14:28

Seriously.  My aim for this year is 4 ultras, finishing off in Sept with my first 100 miles.   Then see if I can get into UTMB.  If not the irontrail i mentioned on another thread could be doable.

18/01/2013 at 21:19

Ooooo I don't bloody know what to do now..

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.