The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,801 to 2,820 of 2,949 messages
16/07/2013 at 13:19

Sounds like a great, tough challenge GKD. I know a few events were ran last weekend, including the Lyke Wake race and people found that very tough going.

My sympathies are with the families of those lost in the beacons at the weekend - the truth will out, but something very wrong with that happening during a military training exercise.

16/07/2013 at 13:21

That sounds tough GKD, no water or anything in those conditions? I did a 26-miler in the Derbyshire Dales on Saturday and drank well over 3 litres. I reckon the heat added half an hour to my time (still wasn't a PW though). Osmotherley Phoenix on the previous Saturday was hot enough but that took the biscuit.

I only heard today about the tragedy in the Brecon Beacons. Very sad.

T Rex, glad Archie is doing so well. He sounds brilliant.

DE, welcome back.

16/07/2013 at 13:23

Stories and pictures from the Wasdale Horseshoe fell race bring home how hot and tough it was last weekend.

16/07/2013 at 17:01

Hey DE, glad to hear you had a good holiday and that you bought the sun back with you..you could have left a bit of it behind though!

Rosedale Hardmoors was fantastic, I came 2nd and got a trophy!! Am doing the Hardmoors Princess Challenge 30 on Sept 1st which sounds fantastic-along the coastline to Whitby.See you there?

16/07/2013 at 18:25

BritNick, I did 25 just a little further north on Saturday and needed 3 litres of water too. Mind you 500ml came from a pub where I also had a glass of lime n lemonade. Now that was a first for me. When I finished the run I bought a can of Coke for energy. That was the first time I didn't fel like eating when out running. Maybe I waited too long to start but it was a struggle. 

I'm wondering how I'm going to manage the Long Tour of Bradwell if it's anything like this hot. See you there.

GKD
16/07/2013 at 20:24

BN and DE it was a stunning day, for all the time I've spent in Snowdonia I've never seen it so clear on Saturday, literally not a cloud in the sky. It made for stunning views but brutal conditions. 

The problem with the race, as with quite a few of the fell races in remote areas is that apart from the Pen Y Pass car park there's really nowhere to resupply people out on the course, the streams we could usually rely on were mostly dried up, in the end I had to resort to taking some run off from a bog stream. Not ideal but necessary.

Next hopefully for me is the Borrowdale fell race at the begining of August, unlike the rest of the country I'm sure I'll be hoping for a break in the hot weather

GKD
17/07/2013 at 12:54

Thanks BN and BR. Well done on that 2nd place, great going! Had missed that event BR, a good route (bits I know at least) will have a look what I'm doing that weekend, could be a good last long run before UT100k.

Hope it cools a bit - for run days at least - JN and GKD. I've got Hardmoors 26.2 Saltburn same weekend at LToB and that will have some nice exposed sections on NYM no doubt. Mind you if still warm and sunny by then we'll have a hosepipe ban, roads will have melted, news will be "global warming blah blah" and I'll be racing against the four horseman of the apocolypse no doubt

By the way JN the last three LToB have found warm and at least part sunny days - it seems to just be that way. I was cramping like a good-un after the finish last year (don't usually suffer that). I'm sure my eating/drinking was pretty good, just pushed a bit too hard in first half and second half got hot. At least after Stanage edge there are a lot of sections under tree cover up until a few miles from the end.

20/07/2013 at 22:18

A good race. not as GCtastic as 2011 but froome was a lot closer to losing it than the 5mins would have you believe. so room for years of argument there over stage 9 and whether froome could have lost the jersey.
Some good stages and good attitude. all obvious performances people have pointed out but in general the riders rose to the challenge and gave it a good go. a lot of teams underperformed or failed to show but plenty tried. BMC punched below their weight but tried  Good to see the sprints shared about.
Europacar were moronic at times and made poor use of what they had. feel sorry for thibout and fdj. just fell apart. Astana were poor. birdsong was just left to it on his own.
+ marks for saxo and garmin really making a race of it at times along with quickstep/belkin. shame for them that the dutch challenge faded in the alpes.
the suffering on the alpe looking very convincing all round. the sharp end of that day took years off riders. Young men at bottom where middle aged at the top
the structure of the race was good...tweak it here and there.  shout out for the second technical  hilly tt which was  very successful at producing a close stage and decent spectacle.
the whole day on the alpe was pretty memorable as stages go. ...
overall not 1987 or 89 but a hell of a lot better than 2008, 2012, 2004, 2005 and a host of others
ok better or worse than 2011?... I would say better because it was more engaging the whole way through where as 2011 didn't come alive until the 3rd.   www.d2ride.co.uk

22/07/2013 at 13:03

And now for something completley different - I found "vanity" particularly funny"

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

22/07/2013 at 13:23

Very good DE. Thanks for the link .

BTW, I did the same route on Friday & upped it to 28 miles.I thought of you along the way as I came across some tree cover. I started eating sooner & changed some of the food. That helped to ward off bad feelings. I had even more water too.

Does anyone use Elete with their drinks? I don't know how much good it did me but it certainly didn't hurt to try it out. 

22/07/2013 at 14:00

Hi Jim, good to hear the 28 this week was better than previous run and that your finding what works for you. I don't use elete, but do use high-5 zero on hotter days. Seems to work, I've usually suffered on the hot days when I've uses a combo carb drink with electrolytes really, so now try and seperate the two.

Bishop Wilton half marathon on Saturday. Very good little event, flat/undulating country roads to start before several miles of staged climb, a trail section for descent and some really picturesque undulating running through my favourite Millington Dale. Throw in a hard climb on tiring legs in penultimate mile and snaking descent for last half mile and a good route/race. Happy with my time too considering make-up of route. The event was run alongside the village show so alongside my usual healthy drink and fruit I got chance to refuel on hog roast sandwich and cold lager from the beer tent and enjoy the festivities with family. Cracking day.

22/07/2013 at 15:23

Lovely DE. Does the word 'heaven' appear in the Bishop Wilton title (as in hog roast & cold lager) .

01/08/2013 at 13:45

Hows all going? read some bits on the L100 and 50 at weekend and sounded a tough year condition-wise for an already tough set of events. Well done to those that gave it their all!

I did a comparitive tiddler of a run on Saturday, but brought suffering on myself still - maybe one of those required occasional reality checks. I'd mapped a challenging 13m Wolds route to emulate the climb I'll be expecting at UTLD100k (except in many small climbs instead of a few big ones) - which I intended to lap twice. I got out early on a light breakfast and set off at a 5mph or so pace, tackled the fast back-to-back-x5 hills in first quarter and settled down to slowly run the long climb and felt some recovery towards end of first lap on less frequent climbs - I'd sped up a little bit too. I'd been drinking every 30 mins and some food on the hour. But still started to really suffer on lap two on the hard b-2-b-x5 hills and couldn't manage a run on the long steady climb this time. Then had some trouble swallowing a cereal bar (never usually an issue) and couldn't get started after next climb and ended up cuttimng a corner to run/walk down the road (downhill) tomake it 23m for the day.

Think I had about enough liquid, but maybe not enough food (300cals 90 mins before run and about 133 per hour during - fruit and nuts, half-cereal bar, repeat...), I probably also should have slowed down as although not red hot compared to some days of late the humidity was high. I'd also had to slow down when I started an undulating mixed terrain tempo run tioo fast on the Thursday night before, which I don't think I'd recovered that well from and hadn't factored that in to my pace. I think I must have overheated as decided to have a cold bath once home to cool down legs and then rest of body and I'm not one to make myself suffer and icebaths and the like after a long run! And reckon the 'central governor' might have shut me down as I couldn't even maintain a slight-downhill run on tarmac by end of run.

Anyway, must have got recovery right as been ok this week for some dock step reps and a couple of 6m+ commute runs along river and through town. Out tonight for some undulating trail with the club and I think a flat trail long run at weekend for variety. It may have tried to give me a beating the other day.... but roll on the good weather I'll say  (just cool down a bit in around about mid September).

Edited: 01/08/2013 at 13:47
06/08/2013 at 20:45

Hey DE, just dropped a last minute entry for Saltburn on Sunday but don't know that area at all. How do you think it compares to Osmotherly marathon in terms of terrain, hills, dodgy bits etc? Cheers yet again for any advice

Brer

07/08/2013 at 12:09

Hi Brer, not that familiar with this area myself as further north than I usually go regularly.

But I know from bits of this route that are also on HM110 and 60 that the inland bits in start and first half have some quite big climbs upto max of about 1000ft above sea-level in farmland hills and moors (Start is about 200ft above sea-level, but route dips a bit before first climb). After then, onto coast and towards and beyond skinningrove expect smaller, but more constant undulations and some steps!

Bits I know the paths/tracks/trails are mostly good and even when dry (which I expect they will be atm), especially around coast. The unknown for me is after it leaves cleveland way near guisborough and rejoins at Skiningrove, can see on map its undulating to hilly, but path state might be good or not so with it being open moorland in places. So I'd gamble on 2/3 good trail, path, road.

I'd say a similar amount of climb as Osmotherly, maybe a bit less, more than Goathland probably and much less than Wainstones had!

Looking forward to it see you there

Hope all are well and busy bashing those miles in, or not so, as long as what your doing is enjoyable

Edited: 07/08/2013 at 12:13
07/08/2013 at 12:15

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s403x403/971028_10201575394088627_1663186220_n.jpg

.... sums up what I've said, longer hills in first half then dropping to coast at about 20m for constant smaller undulations around coast.

Edited: 07/08/2013 at 12:16
08/08/2013 at 07:57

Cheers for that DE, showers on Sunday I see but nothing too wet before which hopefully should mean ground firm. Off to Scarborough now for a few days, see you Sunday

13/08/2013 at 14:03

Hi all. 

Brer - Hope you enjoyed Scarborough and the HM saltburn marathon? Hope you had a good run and didn't get as lost as many on route. I must have got lucky as didn't get significantly lost until Saltburn. Had a good run and to continue this threads run of Silverware in the HM series from yours last time I somehow got 3rd place, which is a first for me! I guess a lot of the fast guys were at LToB on Saturday and a few challengers might have got more lost than me I guess.

A nice moorland, farmland to coastal course - had a bit of it all really. And a really welcoming event, with marshalls and RO team doing a great job.... not much they could do about awol course taping and always a risk when you visit more populated areas as this route did.

I think I got a good pace boost overall from tweaking my up and downhill techniques/tactics so I didn't blow the quads and could still manage to run slowly the uphills on the coastal hop from Skinnegrove to Saltburn even though I was crackered. Just need to perfect that in longer and hillier runs to come now.

A few easy days then back to it and HOTH!!

Edited: 13/08/2013 at 14:08
14/08/2013 at 09:42

Hey DE, well done there on silverware. I had an ace day too, got lost but re-grouped then doddled along nicely but I too got lost in Saltburn! Had to ask for directions back to hq. Good luck with HOTH!

14/08/2013 at 11:22

Hi Brer, just seen results, very ace day, well done on the run considering you got a bit lost a great quick run.

2,801 to 2,820 of 2,949 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.