The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,801 to 2,820 of 2,979 messages
23/08/2013 at 14:36

Coke for me.   Seems to perk me up.

23/08/2013 at 14:57

If I'm running when it's baking hot I crave Coke, all the rest of the time I can't stand the stuff - weird what you crave.

14/09/2013 at 18:03

Looking forward to hearing the news.

My latest event was 10Peaks Brecon Beacons last w/e: self nav, 14 actual peaks over 2000', 55 miles, 16000', 23:18:21, pos 74/78. I'm going to have to be a lot faster than this to keep up with you guys.  It's a start.  Race was won by a vet 50 in 11:17:50 , nearly two hours ahead of next finisher.

Can't recommend the event enough.  Two nights' free camping and YH facilities.

16/09/2013 at 13:20

Sounds like a real adventure T-Rex, heck of a lot of big numbers there! Might be one for a furture year for me. How hard was the nav? Did you get a route desciption or was it just co-ords and plot your own route? Guess what I'm interested in is could a person who doesn't know area, but can read a map and terrain get by without recceing? Immense winning time

Comparitvely UT100k would be described as more runnable and a faster course I guess. But it wasn't easy with the usual mix of very stoney and uneven paths in many, many places and 7 x 1000-2000ft+ passes it wasn't an easy day out - which doesn't mean it wasn't memorable or enjoyable (for the most part)

Took longer than I thought and I slowed a bit after hard first 20m and just thought get around and enjoy it. But did pick up again in fits and bursts and quite happy to have got around the 66.7m (yep, bit longer than 100k and I didn't get lost) in about 15:32, position unknown at present, ~13000ft asc/desc I think.

Really good event with lots of potential and few mishaps for a first stab. Nice alternative/complimentatry event to July Lakeland 50/100 milers.

Edited: 16/09/2013 at 13:21
16/09/2013 at 13:37

Good work lads!

17/09/2013 at 00:00

DE - don't belittle 15 hours; that was a brilliant time for 67 miles with probably a lot of difficult terrain.

10Peaks B Beacons (they also have a Lakes event) give you a Harveys map with the suggested route printed on it, which I found hard to improve on - only in one place did I save a bit of time.  This route was also on their website.  No route description or waymarks.  I suppose you could transfer the map to a gadget but I don't know anything about that sort of technology.  Recces would be helpful but as long as you closely scrutinize the route on OS 1:25 000 maps you would be OK.  

18/09/2013 at 16:23

Hi T-Rex, your right, shouldn't complain and I'm pretty happy really. Event was pretty good, barring a few missing marker posts which interferred with slick running of things and a few other teething issues. Route is pretty good and will get people coming back/wanting to take on and the checkpoints were well managed, supplied and thought out.

I'd looked at the 10peaks Lakes this year too, but decided I wouldn't have the time to do the masses of hillwork - which really means getting to Lakes or Peaks (somewhere with big climbs) I thought. UT 100k seemed a good compromise, still some 1000ft+ climbs, but more runnable bits too. Easier to train for in less time. I feel ready to take on something a bit bigger again next year and 10p lakes or BB would be a good onshore option.

First little run out today, not too bad, but quads still throb a bit. Hoping to carry fitness over to RRR50 (mid Oct) maybe, but if not that then Hardmoors mara Goathland and Frostbite 30 (Nov, Dec).

19/09/2013 at 14:55

Hi CC, you had a cracking run there by sounds of it as I know you weren't 100% happy/convinced with your training (I thought you did well considering the time you had available).

I think I was being a bit harsh yesterday or half distracted as the route was more than 'pretty good', really earns a good, near excellent - I'll stand by my pretty good verdict for whole event. On a scale of 1 to 10 then I'd give the route an 8. Not sure I'd score any route higher than that as usually something along the way detracts from perfection. Whole event probably needs to get over teething problems to be as overall good as something like the Lakeland 50/100 (Coniston).

I was thinking after Howtown on road before Boredale house climb that there had been too much road in last ten miles. But it evened out nicely in the end and no more road as a percentage of whole than any longun I can think of really. I like the techinical bits too, especially on descent, I'd just forgotten how hard work compared to hills of my area. I could see how Watendlath could be tough if not having a "good moment", I was going well here and once resigned to getting wet I just enjoyed it and tried to avoid wettest bits (did you see the couple who'd pitched a tent up there? must have been the only spot on moor where it wouldn't sink). Would also agree that stake pass was easy, probably the least stoney path up in the Lake district. Highlight for me was heading up Nan bield pass... long approach and steep switchbacks over rocks at the end through a nook in the landscape. The up to Grizedale hause is also nice, although I wasn't enjoying myself that much at the time.

Hope the knee cap and sore quads have receeded further. I had a little 3m yesterday morning, which helped bring legs along. Still feel the quads walking up stairs, but I'm well out of arthritic shuffle mode now and off to do club trail tempo run tonight.

Stil not going to change stance on poling just yet. A guy behind me did little to convince me they benefitted him much in latter stages. He'd come close to me on flatter rocky bits in last 20m and maybe technical downhills (I'm not sure hen used poles downhill as didn't see him going down). But seemed to lose ground on the uphills in last three sections when the poles were definately out. Maybe I was just in better shape as I pulled away a good time gap by the end - so that just tells me poles may help, training helps more.

Feel like I've filled in a few more gaps as to how I cope on these kind of runs too, as I felt properly nauseous and hollow legged on Askham moor, thought that was it, but did recover following a period of changing my diet and easting less to let nausea pass. After that I was fine and energy was there as long as I topped up regularly and avoided too much sweet stuff at once. Those spicy noodles were great, as were the fries in stickle barn tav 

Edited: 19/09/2013 at 15:05
28/09/2013 at 18:03

What's made this thread disappear from the list??

Just seeing if this will put it back on ..

28/09/2013 at 18:04

No, it hasn't.  What's this all about?

28/09/2013 at 18:12

RW - can we have this thread back, please?

30/09/2013 at 17:23

I thought RW had pulled it.  Trying to work out where any of us had been offensive!

Recommendations for beetroot juice drinking perhaps?  

30/09/2013 at 17:27

I actually like the taste of beetroot juice now having forced myself to drink it a few times!

Anyone got any winter races lined up? MCN Brecon 40 for me.

30/09/2013 at 21:15

Hi All.

round Rotherham 50 in mid October, but that's not really winter. Hardmoors goathland marathon (north York moors) in nov too. Frostbite 30 start of dec is closer to the bill, new one for me, looks fun.

So far so good there crag chick. As I've insinuated elsewhere I'm planning 2014 also. Early days but planning first long un of the year. Going to run around hull, off Tarmac as much as I can, avoiding dipping in where possible (except when going south of as have to follow riverside paths and cut in a few places). Probably harder than it sounds, with a fair few little trod field edge paths and winter mud in the fields it should be quite a good if flat challenge, and a decent bit of variety. Hopefully will be ultra length. First of 12 long challenges for the new year 

Edited: 30/09/2013 at 21:21
30/09/2013 at 23:36

I don't race in winter.  Breathing in cold air triggers my asthma badly, unfortunately. I've tried and have become very ill on a couple of occasions.  No racing after SNOD marathon until March.  I train with a buff over my mouth and sometimes nose as well, but you can't race like that.

First ultra of the year is usually Connemara 39.3 (road), early April.

01/10/2013 at 08:40

CC - Some winter XC is brilliant! Enjoy I am looking forward to the Brecon 40, should be quite tough but I expect it to be a lot of fun too. I am also working on my 2014 races already!

01/10/2013 at 11:13

WiB - Meant to say as well MCN series always sounds, good, one year when more settleed I'll be adventurous and do more that was as some great events over there (incl 10peaks by sounds of it).

CC - Get well soon, can be a tricky one, but sure you know the tricks and what level of discomfort you can train on.

T Rex - Hope all goes well, unfortunate, but sure you can keep busy and in good nick with some good training runs.

01/10/2013 at 15:31

Haha... wasn't sure Round Hull would be an ultra in length, shouldn't have worried, initial plot suggests 43 miles - should have remembered my C=πd. Will still do it, but might not make that my first ultra of the year so plotted another linear off-road route I've fancied trying for awhile...

Jan - Hull to Bridlington (27m+)
Feb - Round Hull (43m+)

01/10/2013 at 16:03

Surely all the turkey and beer would have fuelled you for 43 miles in Jan no problem

04/10/2013 at 21:41

Turkey contains vitamin B, which helps the body assimilate carbohydrates!

2,801 to 2,820 of 2,979 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.