The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,821 to 2,840 of 3,017 messages
15/08/2013 at 08:16

Cheers buddy..HM silverware building up!!

22/08/2013 at 13:39

Hi all, hope everyones running well and thats the reason for the innactivity (not all laid up unable to reach the keyboard ).

Good 35m in the wolds at the weekend. Lots of hills and a decent mix of terrain, with a taper and less gear on my back I feel quite positive about a good run in Ultimate Trails Lake District in September.

Anybody else use gels for energy late on in ultra's? I've pretty much abandoned them for real food in the last few years as I've run longer. But some days, particularly if its a bit warm and I've been at challenging pace for hours I struggle to get down flapjack (ok once its down, its just getting it clear of mouth). Figured a gel or two might help at this point. Opinions welcomed

And if anybody has a brand/product/flavour recommendation? Tried high5 and SiS in past which I thought were fine but I see now you can get Gu, Torq, Cliff shot, accelerade - all offering something slightly different. I've got a freebie 'Mojito' flavoured High5 gel to try on next long run, not sure it will be the same without the booze

22/08/2013 at 15:11

hi DE...I am attempting my first ultra on Saturday-Run to the Castle! Yikes. I seem to have packed half of Sainsburys in backpack!! I have recently taken to Shotblox rather than gels for marathons.Better consistency and they do the trick for me.No need for water with them.

23/08/2013 at 11:53

Thanks Brer, bought a variety of gels and shotblox to try. Best of luck on Saturday Looks to be a lovely route from the pictures and a nice bit of climb in there, particularly around half way.

23/08/2013 at 13:08

DE, I tend to prefer real food at the latter stages of events, but am fine with gels early on. I really like the Hammer Espresso ones.

WiB
23/08/2013 at 13:10

DE - I drifted away from shot bloks but have recently gone back to them. Can recommend them, never had a single problem. The same as with gels, I tend to avoid the caffeine ones.

WiB
23/08/2013 at 13:26

Coffee is my race day saviour. And my training saviour. And my work day saviour.

23/08/2013 at 14:36

Coke for me.   Seems to perk me up.

23/08/2013 at 14:57

If I'm running when it's baking hot I crave Coke, all the rest of the time I can't stand the stuff - weird what you crave.

14/09/2013 at 18:03

Looking forward to hearing the news.

My latest event was 10Peaks Brecon Beacons last w/e: self nav, 14 actual peaks over 2000', 55 miles, 16000', 23:18:21, pos 74/78. I'm going to have to be a lot faster than this to keep up with you guys.  It's a start.  Race was won by a vet 50 in 11:17:50 , nearly two hours ahead of next finisher.

Can't recommend the event enough.  Two nights' free camping and YH facilities.

16/09/2013 at 13:20

Sounds like a real adventure T-Rex, heck of a lot of big numbers there! Might be one for a furture year for me. How hard was the nav? Did you get a route desciption or was it just co-ords and plot your own route? Guess what I'm interested in is could a person who doesn't know area, but can read a map and terrain get by without recceing? Immense winning time

Comparitvely UT100k would be described as more runnable and a faster course I guess. But it wasn't easy with the usual mix of very stoney and uneven paths in many, many places and 7 x 1000-2000ft+ passes it wasn't an easy day out - which doesn't mean it wasn't memorable or enjoyable (for the most part)

Took longer than I thought and I slowed a bit after hard first 20m and just thought get around and enjoy it. But did pick up again in fits and bursts and quite happy to have got around the 66.7m (yep, bit longer than 100k and I didn't get lost) in about 15:32, position unknown at present, ~13000ft asc/desc I think.

Really good event with lots of potential and few mishaps for a first stab. Nice alternative/complimentatry event to July Lakeland 50/100 milers.

Edited: 16/09/2013 at 13:21
WiB
16/09/2013 at 13:37

Good work lads!

WiB
17/09/2013 at 00:00

DE - don't belittle 15 hours; that was a brilliant time for 67 miles with probably a lot of difficult terrain.

10Peaks B Beacons (they also have a Lakes event) give you a Harveys map with the suggested route printed on it, which I found hard to improve on - only in one place did I save a bit of time.  This route was also on their website.  No route description or waymarks.  I suppose you could transfer the map to a gadget but I don't know anything about that sort of technology.  Recces would be helpful but as long as you closely scrutinize the route on OS 1:25 000 maps you would be OK.  

18/09/2013 at 16:23

Hi T-Rex, your right, shouldn't complain and I'm pretty happy really. Event was pretty good, barring a few missing marker posts which interferred with slick running of things and a few other teething issues. Route is pretty good and will get people coming back/wanting to take on and the checkpoints were well managed, supplied and thought out.

I'd looked at the 10peaks Lakes this year too, but decided I wouldn't have the time to do the masses of hillwork - which really means getting to Lakes or Peaks (somewhere with big climbs) I thought. UT 100k seemed a good compromise, still some 1000ft+ climbs, but more runnable bits too. Easier to train for in less time. I feel ready to take on something a bit bigger again next year and 10p lakes or BB would be a good onshore option.

First little run out today, not too bad, but quads still throb a bit. Hoping to carry fitness over to RRR50 (mid Oct) maybe, but if not that then Hardmoors mara Goathland and Frostbite 30 (Nov, Dec).

18/09/2013 at 16:55

DE - I think that was a great time, especially given we didn't really know how it would all pan out anyway. I was resigned for being out there a little longer than I would have liked, mainly because I knew my quads were going to be trashed from not enough of that kind of training ... was actually delighted that they didn't really start to get too bad until about 50+ miles, and even more pleased to arrive at the end full of energy and wide awake despite it being 1am. If it wasn't for the fact my quads were trashed, along with my right hip-flexor, I seriously could have kept on going!!!  So was 19.21.54 for me. 

I LOVED the route, a good mix of everything and I really enjoyed the fact that there WERE some really technical bits of trail.  Not too many stretches of road, and where they were it was probably fairly unavoidable and a good opportunity to stretch out legs.

The only bit I lost the will to live on was Wattendlath Moor, all that bog, and was feeling a bit queasy on this stretch, compounded by watching three people in front of me positively skipping across that stretch .

Thought Stake Pass was quite easy actually, nice to have a climb where your feet were guaranteed so could get into a nice steady climb. 

Anyway, have yet to do a proper race report ... but hopefully later this week.  Quads still a little sore in places and not sure if I have bruised top of knee cap on a gate or rock, or sustained some niggle!  Sounds like you are recovering well DE?  I've got some orienteering on Saturday so am going to try the legs out then and hopefully get back to it next week. Need to find next challenge though ...

I am a pole convert though, they were awesome for those climbs

TRex, your course sounds pretty amazing too, definitely don't diss your time on that route - and don't forget some of the posters on here are machines , I definitely fall into the mere mortal category!!! I really like the sound of your race, but wrong bit of the country for me ... but never say never so very well done.

19/09/2013 at 14:55

Hi CC, you had a cracking run there by sounds of it as I know you weren't 100% happy/convinced with your training (I thought you did well considering the time you had available).

I think I was being a bit harsh yesterday or half distracted as the route was more than 'pretty good', really earns a good, near excellent - I'll stand by my pretty good verdict for whole event. On a scale of 1 to 10 then I'd give the route an 8. Not sure I'd score any route higher than that as usually something along the way detracts from perfection. Whole event probably needs to get over teething problems to be as overall good as something like the Lakeland 50/100 (Coniston).

I was thinking after Howtown on road before Boredale house climb that there had been too much road in last ten miles. But it evened out nicely in the end and no more road as a percentage of whole than any longun I can think of really. I like the techinical bits too, especially on descent, I'd just forgotten how hard work compared to hills of my area. I could see how Watendlath could be tough if not having a "good moment", I was going well here and once resigned to getting wet I just enjoyed it and tried to avoid wettest bits (did you see the couple who'd pitched a tent up there? must have been the only spot on moor where it wouldn't sink). Would also agree that stake pass was easy, probably the least stoney path up in the Lake district. Highlight for me was heading up Nan bield pass... long approach and steep switchbacks over rocks at the end through a nook in the landscape. The up to Grizedale hause is also nice, although I wasn't enjoying myself that much at the time.

Hope the knee cap and sore quads have receeded further. I had a little 3m yesterday morning, which helped bring legs along. Still feel the quads walking up stairs, but I'm well out of arthritic shuffle mode now and off to do club trail tempo run tonight.

Stil not going to change stance on poling just yet. A guy behind me did little to convince me they benefitted him much in latter stages. He'd come close to me on flatter rocky bits in last 20m and maybe technical downhills (I'm not sure hen used poles downhill as didn't see him going down). But seemed to lose ground on the uphills in last three sections when the poles were definately out. Maybe I was just in better shape as I pulled away a good time gap by the end - so that just tells me poles may help, training helps more.

Feel like I've filled in a few more gaps as to how I cope on these kind of runs too, as I felt properly nauseous and hollow legged on Askham moor, thought that was it, but did recover following a period of changing my diet and easting less to let nausea pass. After that I was fine and energy was there as long as I topped up regularly and avoided too much sweet stuff at once. Those spicy noodles were great, as were the fries in stickle barn tav 

Edited: 19/09/2013 at 15:05
23/09/2013 at 07:47

agree DE with poles for descents, don't think they are much help at all but as mine are so light I just folded them up and stuck them away.  But for the ups they were great and definitely were not slowing me down, same goes for flatter sections at the end were running really had dwindled. I wouldn't use them on shorter races with less undulations though as I've always managed just fine without them, but in that kind of race they'll be making an appearance!

Agree with your rating of 8 I think, definitely need to iron out the teething problems, for me I would have liked it if we'd had grid references for the checkpoints, cos then if you are carrying an OS map you can use, you are in no doubt exactly where the CPs are, so if the way markings disappear you do have sensible back-up.  I know they wrote the locations in the instructions, but the actual map was not something you'd like to actually navigate by (I actually found the race number quite useful for checking what climb was coming up next!).

I was surprised how little I consumed overall on this race. After the fantastic tea I had the night before I think I took on 3 pots of porridge, 4 large pieced of flap jack, 3 gels and a plate of chips plus , water with Nunn tabs, and just had that one moment of yuck!

I did 3.5 miles on Friday and felt fine except for knee niggle which is tight IT band, so braved the roller on it on Sat eve which was excrutiating!! Orienteering was OK on Sat but felt proper wasted all weekend so think everything caught up with me. Off for another easy run this morning.

Think I'm going for the Bennachie Hill race in a couple of weeks if knees feeling OK, not sure about a longer event though. Nothing that really grabs me up here between now and Crhistmas - there is one down near Perth in November but it's £50 and there are three guaranteed, up-to-your-thighs (well for me anyway!) in water crossings and my circulation is dire, and that water will be snow melt, so not feeling drawn to that. Some Cairngorm self-explorations I think.

Anyway, here is my race reports for those that have nothing better to do!!  http://findhornfran.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/lakeland-trails-100km-and-maybe-a-little-bit-more-ultra-race/

28/09/2013 at 18:03

What's made this thread disappear from the list??

Just seeing if this will put it back on ..

28/09/2013 at 18:04

No, it hasn't.  What's this all about?

28/09/2013 at 18:12

RW - can we have this thread back, please?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.