The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,841 to 2,860 of 3,017 messages
28/09/2013 at 20:48

glad it wasn't just me going a bit mad, suddenly it had disappeared and I thought it was something weird on my computer!!!

30/09/2013 at 17:23

I thought RW had pulled it.  Trying to work out where any of us had been offensive!

Recommendations for beetroot juice drinking perhaps?  

WiB
30/09/2013 at 17:27

I actually like the taste of beetroot juice now having forced myself to drink it a few times!

Anyone got any winter races lined up? MCN Brecon 40 for me.

WiB
30/09/2013 at 17:42

fairly limited winter choices up here in Scotland so think it will be club x-country races and the odd (horror of horror) road race until next year now... but I'm currently planning the 2014 calendar with Highlander Mountain Marathon, and Great Glen Ultra already on there .  Don't fancy booking to do anything too far South as once winter kicks in, travel can be a little erratic to say the least!!!

Brecon 40 will be a good'n though I reckon.

30/09/2013 at 21:15

Hi All.

round Rotherham 50 in mid October, but that's not really winter. Hardmoors goathland marathon (north York moors) in nov too. Frostbite 30 start of dec is closer to the bill, new one for me, looks fun.

So far so good there crag chick. As I've insinuated elsewhere I'm planning 2014 also. Early days but planning first long un of the year. Going to run around hull, off Tarmac as much as I can, avoiding dipping in where possible (except when going south of as have to follow riverside paths and cut in a few places). Probably harder than it sounds, with a fair few little trod field edge paths and winter mud in the fields it should be quite a good if flat challenge, and a decent bit of variety. Hopefully will be ultra length. First of 12 long challenges for the new year 

Edited: 30/09/2013 at 21:21
30/09/2013 at 21:23

that sounds good. meant to post 'elsewhere' but is all a bit mad crazy here at the moment and am losing brain cells!!!

I too have some local long expeditions I'd like to explore.  A decent circuit of the Cairngorms, starting in Glenmore or at Loch-an-Eilean, preferably before the serious snows arrive, I also have a very long route (probably about 100 miles all told) that starts in Braemar and finishes in my back garden, a kind of mountains to the sea thing, probably something for the Spring that one.  That all sounds good from you though.  I liked your thoughts about the long run - one decent one a month, quality rather than quantity. Certainly makes it better on the domestic peace front!

Just waiting for IT Band to recover. Knee actually feeling bruise-free for the first time since the Lakeland 100km, so need to get someone to hide my trainers for the rest of the week I think and keep on stretching and rollering ...

30/09/2013 at 23:36

I don't race in winter.  Breathing in cold air triggers my asthma badly, unfortunately. I've tried and have become very ill on a couple of occasions.  No racing after SNOD marathon until March.  I train with a buff over my mouth and sometimes nose as well, but you can't race like that.

First ultra of the year is usually Connemara 39.3 (road), early April.

WiB
01/10/2013 at 08:40

CC - Some winter XC is brilliant! Enjoy I am looking forward to the Brecon 40, should be quite tough but I expect it to be a lot of fun too. I am also working on my 2014 races already!

WiB
01/10/2013 at 11:13

WiB - Meant to say as well MCN series always sounds, good, one year when more settleed I'll be adventurous and do more that was as some great events over there (incl 10peaks by sounds of it).

CC - Get well soon, can be a tricky one, but sure you know the tricks and what level of discomfort you can train on.

T Rex - Hope all goes well, unfortunate, but sure you can keep busy and in good nick with some good training runs.

01/10/2013 at 15:31

Haha... wasn't sure Round Hull would be an ultra in length, shouldn't have worried, initial plot suggests 43 miles - should have remembered my C=πd. Will still do it, but might not make that my first ultra of the year so plotted another linear off-road route I've fancied trying for awhile...

Jan - Hull to Bridlington (27m+)
Feb - Round Hull (43m+)

WiB
01/10/2013 at 16:03

Surely all the turkey and beer would have fuelled you for 43 miles in Jan no problem

WiB
04/10/2013 at 21:41

Turkey contains vitamin B, which helps the body assimilate carbohydrates!

04/10/2013 at 21:48

27 miles sounds a good start to the year    Did 10 miles today round forest, furthest since Lakeland ultra and was speedier then I expected ... no knee pain while running, only a bit afterwards, so fingers crossed ... so much for a week away from my trainers! still going to give the hill race a miss at the weekend though, too much for

08/10/2013 at 13:10

So far so good Cragchick. Probably wise to give hills a rest. 

UTLD took a bit longer to get out of system than I thought it would. I know last year I was near enough 100% doing the Long tour of Bradwell, which was two weeks after the Lakeland 50/100 (and I did 23m mild trails the weekend between too). Not sure I'd have been able to manage that two weeks post this time around, but I've had some kind of mild cold/congestion/achiness thing which probably didn't help. Back up to 40m last week though and a good steady 10.6 on road without ill effect last thursday.

Similar planned this week, maybe upto 12m on the very flat, but uneven and hard going field edge paths north of hull at weekend. Then a few treats next week as staying near Pickering so may manage a few short early morning jaunts onto the North York Moors

08/10/2013 at 13:16

Oh and thanks for fuelling advice guys, but going to stick to 27, then 43 as bridges the gap nicely from lethargic Christmas corpulence to Hardmoors 55 (March) nicely. Maybe an LDP in April/May

16/10/2013 at 09:23

Anyone done three rings of Shap?

16/10/2013 at 20:26

Nope, not done that one although have looked at it a few times as a possibility. It's a LDWA one isn't it?

I see the UTLD is coming back again ... but not until 2015!!

I have a plan of races coming together now, and most of them are North of the border too ,  Highlander MM in  April, Cateran Trail 55 May, Dirty 30 June, Great Glen Ultra 72 July ... all looks lovely on paper but not sure how well it'll go down on the domestic front and whether my body will even hold together for all of that!!! And then ... all depending on ballot, maybe just maybe UTMB ...

Did some great running last week with my MM partner, all pathless stuff round our local forest so a really tough workout - Culbin Forest is an awesome place to train, and then more pathless stuff orienteering at the weekend. But school holidays for rest of this week and next so all a bit quiet for now ...

31/10/2013 at 18:03

I did my first FRA fell race (done a couple of fell ultras) and loved it.   All that mud!!!!

31/10/2013 at 21:19

which one did you do?

31/10/2013 at 21:20

and how did DE get on with Round Rotherham?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.