The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,861 to 2,880 of 2,979 messages
31/01/2014 at 13:05

Lots of glutes exercises then CC.   Clams,  bridges and one I discovered is doing a plank with the arms further forward. 

31/01/2014 at 21:11

Think it is called russian kb plank

12/02/2014 at 18:44

How's it going?   Not long to my first race of the year.    The Belvoir challenge. 

Hip is a slight niggle still. 

17/02/2014 at 12:56

Hope various niggles and injuries are settling down? I was plagued with bugs, virae, colds all through Dec and Jan. Would get a few good weeks in only to have to stop again. Got my Hull-Brid run in, but had to miss some training the following week as life got in the way. Feeling better and more time the last few weeks and ready for the February long run next sunday - the trails, paths, field edges, minor roads to get me around Hull in as scenic a manor as possible. Will be about 43m as sticking a few miles outside of town for the most part. Been really looking forward to this one!

Bit more on my 12 challenges (well the ones settled on anyway) and how the first one went here http://woldsmandan.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited: 17/02/2014 at 12:57
24/02/2014 at 17:34

February long run done. Plenty of miles into strong winds, but otherwise a nice jaunt in the countryside north, east and west of Hull and a few miles in Hull to go south of it along the bank of Humber. 43.6m done

GKD
04/03/2014 at 22:50

You have a year to get it planned, easy peasy

GKD
05/03/2014 at 14:13

Long, wet and cold in January ... sounds great, intrigued to hear more  Hope you make it back for the Great Glen Ultra. I've no biomechanical qualifications, but I know I've been much less injured since I started off-roading more and especially since I started using more minimal, less cushioned shoes, closer to barefoot type shoes. Don't run in any of the major hight street brands now and feel the better for it.

I was feeling good and squeezed an extra long one in this month (Sat 1st) a week after the 43. Couldn't resist as feeling quite good and it was a local LDWA challenge. Speedy stuff with a fair bit of road and only 1800ft +/- so it was a good chance to practice a sustained run. Will hopefully do me some favours next month for the more runnable bits of Hardmoors 55, just need to do some more hill training now, bit rusty.

20/03/2014 at 16:31

If anybody wants to know what its like to run around Hull, I can now offer a definitive blog guide here. Hopefully not too dull as the run itself was varied enough with quiet country lanes, busy city streets, running over the top of working docklands, disused docklands, rugby stadiums, drainage channels, lock-gates, ploughed fields, farm tracks, runnable trail, crop fields, waves, large ferries, the odd small hill and lots of wind!

Onto the next.... since the rather flats trips Round Hull 43 and then the Golden Fleece Circuit 27 the next weekend I've tried to 'Hill' more in preperation for Saturdays Hardmoors 55. Feeling good to go, staying in Helmsley YHA the night before and day-off tomorrow for leisurely pack, family time and early evening drive up there. Anybody else reading this doing it? See you there if so, if you've not done it before its a good long moorland trail run and you'll like it - except when your tired in the second half, when you might not.... as per any ultra haha

20/03/2014 at 17:45

Good luck for the hardmoors.   Next up for me is round Coventry way.   A flat 40 miles.    Cheap as chips and I fancy beating my PB of 7 hours.   Next after that is the apocalypse 50 which will give me more indication of where I am.

GKD
20/03/2014 at 19:06

Flat 40s will certainly give you a good idea of where you're at, just long enough that you can run all of it, hopefully at an even pace too.

Fellsman next for me a d I quite fancy a 100k in Transylvania two weeks after. Its not often you can say you finished a race in Dracula's castle

GKD
25/03/2014 at 13:21

Hi Cragchick. Those self-planned trips are often the best anyway

GKD - Also, saw that event and it intrigued me.

spen  - Best of luck for the fast 40 and the apocalypse.

Hardmoors was a massive disappintment for me. Planning and prep was pretty darned good. All ready to go for a fast one. But didn't feel 100% the day before and despite best efforts to eat and do the right things evening before and morning of the event I was uncomfortable from the start and and using too much effort at what should be easy pace in early stages. So much so that on the way to Kildale (11m) on flat/slight slope after coming off hills I was already walking and decided it wasn't worth pushing on. Retired there at11m, feeling like I'd done 30+ in the legs, a bit dizzy and tired. Never felt this bad so early in an event I'm trained for. Pushing on with this one is a bit risky as no more indoor CP or anything much resembling civilisation or a chance to be picked up easily until 33m thereafter.

Strange really as I didn't fall over with flu (man- or the other kind) or anything the next day, just aching all over and tired. Been very busy work, rest and play so maybe just hit a temporary burnout. Starting to feel a bit better already and going to pull myself together as Woldsman 50 is only 2.5 weeks away.

Edited: 25/03/2014 at 13:22
GKD
25/03/2014 at 16:13

Sorry to hear about your Hardmoors DE, sometimes you can just have an accumulation of little things like stress and lack of sleep which means your prep is all for naught. At least you're experienced enough to recognise there was no point thrashing yourself to the next covered checkpoint and potentially doing yourself some real damage.

Did you decide what to do about the Transylvania 100K? It looks good doesn't it?

Good news about getting back into things CC, I'm STILL struggling for form after the Spine but it's getting there, it took far more out of me than I realised. I still think I can take a decent chunk of time out of it next year but I'm not sure it's worth being trashed for a couple of months afterwards

GKD
25/03/2014 at 20:43

GKD: could you please do me a favour and give me a piggyback for the first 99 miles next year I'll cope doing the rest  

26/03/2014 at 18:00

Thanks all. I think it was probably an accumulation of things as already feeling quite a bit better and logged two commute runs this week where I've felt no worse than usual. It's funny how sometimes a long run seems to flatten your for ages, other times not so much. Certainly mindset created from a good run can help with another soon after, but can also stroll you into overuse I suppose. I had a disappointing finish to a tough trail mara last year and vowed to improve pacing, up the hill training, improve nutrition on the run and a few other things for my next planned one - and it did pay off.

GKD - Transylvania one in the memory banks for a future year I think as I'm just domestic-running this year, would love to hear about it if you do it.

Cragchick - Sounds a cracker from your description and not easy miles either on the beach!

27/03/2014 at 14:38

Hey DE,

Still at it I see, just having a random browse after years of absence I guess most people run through Transylvania

27/03/2014 at 14:40

CollieDave have you ditched me of your fb?

27/03/2014 at 15:39

Hi Mr Zodiac, what you been upto, are you still out there running somewhere?

27/03/2014 at 23:11

Hello, steve-z!  We're all still here, some of us getting old and doddery now ...  How are you?

DE - sounds like a bout of post-viral fatigue.  Can hang around for a week or two.

Off to Connemara weekend after next but not sure I'll be able to better Fellrunner's time (at the same age, I believe?) in the ultra.  training has been pretty non-existent for one reason or another.

Then on first BH w/e in May it will be the Thames Path 100 which is not at all gnarly and doesn't really deserve a mention on this thread.  I understand the path has emerged out of the water in recent days.

GKD
27/03/2014 at 23:17

My home town T Rex, lovely race, I just wish it was off road. Seems a shame to be running through such a lovely area with no real connection to it. Must go back and do it again some year

GKD
28/03/2014 at 12:44

I know.  Running around the mountains instead of in them!  Still very scenic for a road race, though.

Wicklow Way ultra looks good:  www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1119

2,861 to 2,880 of 2,979 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.