The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,861 to 2,880 of 3,047 messages
01/11/2013 at 09:24

Only a 10 mile one.    Called passing clouds in the peak district

01/11/2013 at 13:51

Hi all. Hope everybody is running well. A holiday and personal issues have meant not that much running for me of late including no RRR50 sadly

spen - always fancied 3RO Shap, but never got around to entering, let me know what its like if you do it. Fell racing is great, but v.tough, usually much stronger fields than road races. Not done a short run in fells in awhile. Not that I don't enjoy intense stuff, just concertrated more on long of late. Sure I'll get back to it one day.

Cragchick - UTLD not being back till 2015 helps my planning, the time of year change might work well for me too. As lets this be a good build up for longer events

Great event plan you have there and UTMB would be topping on the cake.

Hoping to get in ~20 at weekend, which would be first 15m of my round Hull route (43m+) then cutting off to my dads house. I don't recce many things, and this is local so know some of the paths, but as this is my own challenge I want to check out the paths I've marked route on. Whether ones I don't know are any good (or even there) in reality. As this often catches me out in agricultural areas.

Then an easy sort of week prior to Hardmoors 26.2 at Goathland in NYMs next weekend (looks to be longer than 26.2 though - a typical feature of Hardmoors routes ).

My plan upto now is looking like:
Jan - Hull to Bridlington (27m+)
Feb - Round Hull (43m+)
Mar - Hardmoors 55
April/May - Centenary Way (NorthYorks)

Edited: 01/11/2013 at 13:58
03/11/2013 at 20:56

Hey DE, just popped on this forum to see if you were doing Goathland. See you there if my legs will cope with another bashing, this will be number 24 marathon/ultra this year for me, one more after this and I will have doubled my original target for 2013 And of course, it will be way more than 26.2 miles as we know from Jon's route planning!

04/11/2013 at 13:36

Hi Brer, good going thats a lot of marathons and no doubt you'll fly at this one. Yep JS route distances can usually be taken with a pinch of salt. I think he said outright this one was 27 or over? I've mapped just over 28, so 'on the ground' probably mid-28 / 29 

Interesting 21.75m on Sunday, point-to-point on tracks, field edges, paths, roads skirting north to west Hull then out to the villages. Flat, so seemingly not that hard, but 75% of the running into the wind it felt as hard as most trail marathons I've done. Was worth the recce as lots of bits I've not run before - I favour the Wolds for out of town runs - some of the landscape isn't as per map, so able to learn lessons for next time.

15/11/2013 at 01:05

DE, I missed you at Round Rotherham but glad you're still getting some decent tough runs in.

Brer, you are one crazy obsessive racer. I can empathise with your predicament, having done a bit myself.  Good to see you at GVS25th and SNOD. Are you doing Famous Grouse fell race on Sunday 24 Nov? I'll be back in time for that.

spen71, how about you? Famous Grousing?

My racing is a bit curtailed at the moment as I'm in the US. Managed a 10k race last Sat in Chicago and have a half marathon lined up for this coming Sunday in San Diego. Next Ultra will be the Tour be Helvellyn last Sat before Christmas - my annual pilgrimmage to Askham. Can't wait.

16/11/2013 at 23:48

Anyone on here done the Ring O Fire Ultra?  I've just entered for Aug 2014.

20/11/2013 at 20:32

Hello all, great to see you at Goathland DE, great event as ever. Britnick, hiya buddy-wasn't thinking of doing Famous Grouse but if entries on the day possible I may be able to sneak it inSounds like you are having a fantastic time over the pond.

TRex, hi

20/11/2013 at 21:43

Whats famous grouse?   Apart from q whisky

Im off up kinder this weekend.    12 ascents and descents of the plateau.   Should be fun.   After that it is Marsden to edale

20/11/2013 at 21:48

very little going on here at the moment - haven't managed to run further than about 10 miles in one whole stretch since the Lakeland ultra race in Sept - too much work/family getting in the way!!!  However, trying to address that from here-on-in as I do not like this imbalance for sure!!! Am learning a lot about planning of orienteering courses though as have an event to organise in January - eek.  Did get a great run in last week through areas of our local forest I have never visited before - didn't hit a proper trail once (had a friend to guide me) - was pretty much following animal tracks or less for the whole eight miles ... I think avg pace was about 11mm but oh boy was that a harsh run! Signed up for two events now though - HIghlander MM and Great Glen Ultra, probably try and do Dee 33 too - although sounds a little flat for my liking!!

20/11/2013 at 21:58

Just found the race.    For some reason not on FRA website.    I might see if I can get a passout.....

22/11/2013 at 12:27

I'm back in Blighty.

spen, glad you found Famous Grouse. I'd see you there if I knew what you looked like, but are you sure you want to do it after the Kinder Dozen? At least that's what I assume you're planning for this weekend?

brer, it's only EOD so I'll see you at Birch Vale on Sunday.

cragchick, sounds as though you got a good workout there. They're the best.

T Rex, I've never done Ring O Fire but I've heard about it.

22/11/2013 at 15:31

Very much doubt I will be doing famous grouse after the dozen but who knows

22/11/2013 at 19:31

Britnick, welcome back. Not doing Famous Grouse as have slipped in another marathon tomorrow

28/11/2013 at 16:19

Hi all, glad everyones getting along ok. Mixed bag for me the last month, i went well enough at Hardmoors Goathland mara, similar pace to Saltburn for 20 of the 27.6m, but I was only as good as recent training so bonked a bit and finished in 4:35 (which I'm only unhappy with as I set the bar high for myself in the previous marathon). Back to business for the Roseberry Topping marathon now which packs in a bit more hill so might suit me more.

Hi Nick, hope the US race experiance kept going well for you and sorry not to make RRR50 as was up for that too. How did famous grouse go?

Interesting one spen, you must really like kinder! I read a similar interesting adventure in a blog about a guy who recently ascended and descended Blencathra via every popular route. 7 in all and some sound quite hairy! Quite an interesteing variant of long fell/trail running I thought though and I bet kinder will be equally fun.

Cragchick - Sounds fun, some realt trail breaking. Like that kind of run every now and then.

Racked up a few continuous weeks of 40m+ till last week, mostly road, but when I got off it I did some good trail runs including a cracking tough 11m in the Wolds using some of the lesser known paths and steepest hills I could find. Very little running last week as Clare had an op, so I was close to home at most times as she couldn't do any lifting and suchlike (quite inconvenient with an 11mth old ), but did squeeze in one sesh with 4 tower block ascents as couldn't get out of town for hillwork. More back to the norm this week with some good commute runs and a faster run tonight. May try and get a recce of of one of my many new routes planned for next year at the weekend. Next event for me is Frostbite 30 a week on Saturday, anybody else doing it on here? I hear good reports of. Then Roseberry topping the next weekend.

Sticking with one long (but memorable) run a month next year and a few more ideas now:

Jan - Hull to Bridlington (27m+)
Feb - Round Hull (43m+)
Mar - Hardmoors 55
Apr - Woldsman (50) or Fellsman (60)
May - Centenary Way (NorthYorks)
June - 10 peaks the lakes (still a maybe, the 30 or 46m, not the extreme one!)
July - My long run for the year

03/12/2013 at 11:53

Think I'm doing ring of fire next year too TR. Also am down this weekend with CD doing Brecon 40.

03/12/2013 at 23:57

Hello, sp.  Great to hear from you after all this time.  Give my regards to CD.  I don't do winter races so won't see you there, but all the best with it.  

Archie, my collie, is doing well and can run 4 hours in the mountains quite comfortably.  After being a bit of a wussy about stiles he can now clear a 7-bar metal gate with ease, never mind the stiles.

Hope to meet you at Ring o' Fire, then.  That's quite a serious distance for me even though there's 2 1/2 days to do it.  I'm still learning.

04/12/2013 at 00:07

Conditions couldn't be better in the Beacons for this time of year - we haven't had any rain for about a couple of weeks.  Route looks interesting although avoids the highest parts.  You don't quite reach the summit of Corn Du before having to go straight back down.  If it's a clear day the scenery is stunning.  If it's not a clear day, well, you know the rest ...

04/12/2013 at 08:06

Arse.    In the best shape of my life and get a thigh strain.    Also got to have a minor heaet op.

04/12/2013 at 12:54

spen, get well soon. hope the op goes OK. Looking on the bright side, an enforced rest has come at the right time for the Christmas wind-down. Start afresh next year.

sp, good to hear from you. Have a good one at Brecon 40. Give my regards to CD please.

DE, hope Clare's OK and recovering well now. It sounds as though you're doing well balancing your fitness schedule with family commitments, although I'm sure a 30-hour day would help as well. It would me anyway.

Famous Grouse went well for me. I chased that up with Gravy Pud fell race the following week (Sunday just gone), with Parkruns every Saturday to try and regain the edge (I'm still 1 minute off PB ). I've got Stockport 10 coming up on Sunday and - something more appropriate for an ULTRA thread - Tour de Helvellyn on the 21st.

Excellent pictures of Gravy Pud finish by Bryan Mills.

Excellent pictures at Famous Grouse by Mark Fermer.

04/12/2013 at 14:16

Really want to do the Tour de Helvellyn one day, just a bit of an epic travel from here in the depths of winter (A9 in December really doesn't appeal!!).

North district XC champs for me in Nairn last Saturday - much fun but totally unprepared for it as done no speedy running AT ALL recently so was very happy with 20/48 ladies!!

Managed my first proper long run since Septembers Lakeland ultra, last week 14 miles and a very adventurous one at that along the banks of the River Findhorn. One of my favourite places to run but could have done without the bogs and felled trees I guess  Going back for more I think on Friday ... snow is coming  too

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.