The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,881 to 2,900 of 2,979 messages
29/03/2014 at 11:54

I'm fine Mr. Rex an DE, but unfortunately not running, other than - occasional, disjointed jogs. My degree is time demanding...excuses...etc...etc...

Looks like you're still at it and enjoying - great stuff! 

29/03/2014 at 20:28

'Occasional, disjointed jogs'.  That's sounds just like me, then!

Good to hear from you, though, steve.  We'll all have to have a get together at some point, including collies.  

30/03/2014 at 09:34

Yeah Mr Rex, I'm intending on some sort of fitness campaign in the summer. but CD has disappeared from my radar - I need to contact him and will. To save me time backtracking the thread - have you been injured? Why the slow down?

30/03/2014 at 13:45

Had a major setback 2012-13 with a broken collarbone and nerve damage to my shoulder (bike accident) which hasn't completely cleared up.  Most of the movement has come back but can't do things like press ups, etc, and when I'm running I feel as if the left arm is a dead weight I have to carry around.

No, I'm just not training sensibly for various reasons, mainly work.

CD comes on here from time to time.  Fellrunner has disappeared for a year or more. Probably bought a cottage in Knoydart to get away from the crowds.

07/04/2014 at 14:35

Hi all. Whats been going on? Been a bit less wet and windy the last few weeks for us all - though if FR still out there I'm sure he preferred it as it was

How did Connemara go? did you manage ok despite training concerns? I'd still say that TP100 is pretty gnarly, its 100m afterall and most people have a tendency to adapt speed to the terrain so not that much easier than a hilly off-road one (maybe harder in some ways mentally).

Been a weird year for me so far, feel very fit/strong one minute and then not the next. Particularly noticable at Hardmoors 55. Since then bashed out a 25m in muddy hills on a wet and windy day the weekend before last and I felt it had mauled me. But the strange thing was the pace wasn't bad without pushing too hard from the start, though I had to work hard on hills/flats at the end. Feeling better the week since with some good runs, nothing beyond 11m, but some good hills and effort expended without the burned up feeling. Now back into a mini-taper for the Woldsman on Saturday, which is my local trail ultra and one I enjoy a lot. Then a month from that to prepare for a jump up to 83m for the Centenery Way (York Filey) unsupported.

07/04/2014 at 22:32

Well did the round Coventry way 40 mile ultra yesterday.   I managed 42 miles as took wrong turning and also spent another ten mins arsing around trying to work out where I was.   So probably 30 mins lost in total.    Finished 6th in 7.04,  may have been closer to 6.30.

10/04/2014 at 01:44

DE - have you had a virus you're struggling to bounce back from?  Don't get disheartened at any rate.  Keep going and you'll get back to strong performances.

Well done, spen71.  Gutting about the 'diversion', especially if near the end.

Connemara 39.3 went well.  A steady road race with very strong winds which probably added 10-15 minutes to my time, which was an average 6:27 for 119/193.  Felt strong and only let one runner by in the last 20 miles, but overtook many.

12/04/2014 at 22:15

Good run at the Woldsman 50 (51). Set off a bit fast, but  first third is relatively flat and tempting, suffered a bit 20-25, meal at halfway but still suffering on harder next leg, a few choice nibbles and energy returned for the hilliest section. After which back to undulacting/flat and held on well for an 8.41 finish. Last time I ran here, admittedly a tougher day I was nearly two hours Slower. Good that the training paid off this month

cracking runs Spen and T Rex, especially considering unwelcome diversions and strong winds (respectively).

14/04/2014 at 20:11

Cheers DE and TRex.   Good runs by you pair.

Got a calf problem now and off to the fizz tomorrow.    Already one week off.    Hope it does not take too long to heal as only 15 weeks to LL100.

16/04/2014 at 08:57

Hi everyone!

DE- good to see you going well

Spen- sounds like a good run, given the nav mishap....

SZ-????? Welcome back!!!

Just wanted to pick your collective brains- has anyone run the Compton 40? Thinking of doing it this weekend and just wondered if anyone had any info- trail shoes/roadies, frequency of aid stations etc.

16/04/2014 at 19:30

I did it last year.   Aid stations are every 6 or 7 miles.   As it has been dry recently should think it would be ok in road shoes. 

16/04/2014 at 20:20

Thanks, spen Thinking of doing it as a last long run before ACP 100k in May

16/04/2014 at 21:26

16/04/2014 at 21:49

Anglo Celtic Plate - also National 100ks in Gravesend

04/05/2014 at 17:25

Didn't do Compton in the end, but followed Steve Way around in the National 100k and Anglo Celtic Plate yesterday at Cyclopark in Gravesend. Always going to be a PB as it was my first outing beyond 40m Went better than I imagined! Second back for Wales in 7.45 Especially pleased as it was hot and there were 2 hills which we encountered 48 times

Really great day organised by tzruns

06/05/2014 at 14:52

Yikes thats a lot of times to hill Ujd, great result and pace over 100k! 

Btw... If its given you a liking for lots of hills, check this out ... flipping mental, one finisher last year in foul weather, the approriately named Jon Steele 

At a more sedate pace I'll be starting my Centenary Way in a day (83m), starting Friday evening at Filey and (hopefully) finishing Saturday sometime at York Minster. I really feel I should be more organised for it at this stage, but trying to keep cool and avoid pre-run overexcitement or stress getting organised. Just me, my clothes, map, GPS for backup, 12L bag with the essentials, and trail shoes.

Edited: 06/05/2014 at 15:09
06/05/2014 at 15:15

DE- ta and have a great weekend

06/05/2014 at 15:18

Oh, and I'll pass on The Hill, for now, at least! 

07/05/2014 at 12:25

Hi all

no running for me for a month now.   Tenditis in the ankle and ITB.   Already dropped out of the 50 miler in a couple of weeks.

hopefully will get fit for lakeland 100.  

Been to two physios and all they did was manipulate me a little and then say it will be ok.   Does not inspire me with confidence about them.

08/05/2014 at 13:47

Hi Spen. Sorry to hear your still having troubles. It sounds a bit like the physio's are giving you a bit of a fob off as given enough time doing nothing at all the problems would probably sort themselves, you'd expect them to do something to try an accelerate the process if possible. Hope you get sorted soon to have a good stab at L100 training, its still quite a long way off.

Sounds like good progress Cragchick, hopefully the niggles after the 24 are just there due to the step up and will be one of those things that seems concerning at the time, but when you look back weeks later you realised no problems followed them up. 9 weeks sounds like plenty if your getting in 20's already.

I've caught up on the blog a bit, now got the Woldsman written up with more pics than my usual efforts too as well as a bit of a pre-Centenary way planning/brain purge (as much for my own organisation getting it on paper as for others to read and maybe get something from).

2,881 to 2,900 of 2,979 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.