The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,881 to 2,900 of 3,047 messages
04/12/2013 at 14:16

And yes, good luck with the op Spen, agree with Britnick that is probably a better time of year for it, but sooooo frustrating when you've got to peak fitness but then isn't that often the case - the fine line between being very fit and getting ill/injured - I'm usually on the wrong side ...

09/12/2013 at 14:41

Frostbite 30 at weekend. Very nice event from Pateley Bridge along Nidderdale up onto the moorlands and past Scar House, Angram Reservoirs in the shadow Of Gt Whernside, then back along the south side of dale. Nice and sunny at low-level and blowing and cold on tops (as it should be). Not only a nice route, but very good budget event with nice soup at the end, 9 bars aplenty on the way around, and quality berghaus long sleeve Tshirt thrown in... yorkshire value 

Best of luck with op Spen.

Enjoy TdeH Nick, will get to that one one year.

Another interseting sounding route Cragchick, you seem to have great variety in your locale.

Edited: 09/12/2013 at 14:44
GKD
09/12/2013 at 14:49

Quite fancy the TdH as a last long run/practice day out before the Spine, not sure I can justify the time and expense to do two trips up to the area as I'm also heading up this weekend for a Nav4 training day. That one may have to wait for next year

GKD
20/12/2013 at 12:58

The 4th Tour de Helvellyn in nearly upon us. I'll be leaving for Askam soon. There will be rain but it should have cleared out by race start tomorrow.

GKD, hope you can make it for next year.

spen, how's it going?

20/12/2013 at 22:43

Hope you have a good time nick. 

I've hardly run for 4 weeks noW.   Got tendonitis in the thigh.   Seems to be getting better a slowly. 

31/12/2013 at 19:42

Happy new year to all! Hope you all had a productive or recovering last few weeks in 2013?

Last few weeks haven't gone my way so not much running, but probably better for a rest.

2014 plans all? For me I'm going to do 12 long runs, one every month, for a charity that means a lot to me. Needless to say all will likely be marathon+ and some a lot longer. Put some titbits up in past months, but will put some finalised details up sometime soon and may see a few of you out there as some of the 12 are events. But most are personal challenges on my own routes, own pace.... Which is something I've fancied more of for awhile.

11/01/2014 at 23:15

Happy New Year, everyone.

To all offroad runners in S Wales area - Up and Under in Cardiff now stock La Sportiva shoes.  Saw Crosslites (1 and 2) and Wildcats in there today. I only went in for socks and came out with a pair of Crosslite 2s on order (hope La Sportiva  do my size).

Fascinating watching The Spine unfold.

11/01/2014 at 23:22
12/01/2014 at 06:45

I know. just watching how things change quite dramatically, especially in the race. have a friend doing the challenger who's going nice and steady ... just of for my long run now ... pitch black so hopefully a good sunrise in an hour or so over the coastal path ...

16/01/2014 at 18:54

well I've signed myself up for this http://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/24.html after failing in the UTMB ballot ... a long way off yet but something nice for the autumn.

Slight adductor pull at the moment (just as I was getting back to it after the lack of running over Christmas) so that'll be me on my bike for rest of week I think.

Highlander Mountain Marathon first big thing on the horizon for me (with Dee 33 in March if I get back to training quick enough)

We've had some fantastic weather up here really - a few gales but so little rain really ... must be the calm before the storm I think

19/01/2014 at 15:32

The spine is just mental, hats off to those who even started! Too much potential for  days on end in the wind rain and cold conditions for me to consider (I'll admit I'm not that tough).... At present anyway.

Looks a good event Cragchick, doing something similar myself next June. I hope you get the adductor sorted.

I was hoping to do my first long trail run of the year this weekend, but a return to unwellness has meant postponing to next week. I had some kind of nasty virus just before christmas, made me very sick and even passed out a few times so did an overnight in hospital for tests (nothing concerning in results). Don't think I properly recovered as was doing 30-40 mile weeks till this week and have been hit by some kind of virus again. So going to behave very well for the next 5 days and see how I feel for a long un next weekend

25/01/2014 at 07:54

hello beautiful people 

been a while since i've popped my paws in here

looks like lots planned as usual

de - hope you get better soon

trex- hope the pooch is well. i found crosslites too narrow so now using fellraisers which i love

cragchick..thinking about doing the 3x3 but im no big fan of scafell bolder fields..maybe just need to shut my eyes for that section lol!

first up for me is next weekend..the mickleden straddle...14m fell race...jog on

take care guys x

GKD
25/01/2014 at 10:45

Morning CD, good to see you back, just googled the straddle, looks fantastic.

Not much for me post Spine, I've spent so much time focusing on that one race I neglected to plan pretty much anything for the rest of the year other than another States qualifier just to keep my tickets in the ballot.

So at the moment the plan is to enter the Toe des Geants ballot when it opens next week and see how that goes, if I'm unsuccessful I'll probably either go for the Swiss Irontrail 201 or a BG attempt towards the autumn. In which case I'll be spending quite a bit of time in the lakes this summer and that's no bad thing at a all.

GKD
25/01/2014 at 15:04

I too will be shutting my eyes for the Scafell boulder fields!!! Mind you, when I did Lairig Ghru race last summer I built up the boulder field in my mind to be waaaaay worse than the reality turned out to be!!!

25/01/2014 at 15:05

and actually the two miles running along the edge of the road out of Glenmore back into Aviemore was even worse than the boulder field anyway!

25/01/2014 at 15:31

Hi cd.  Pooch is very well indeed.  Much fitter than when we had him last May and a pleasure to have out and about in the hills although he finds even paced long runs along the canal boring.

26/01/2014 at 08:07

gkd..the spine? you're a better man than me..much respect. did you do the full monty or (just ) the challenge? incredible to even contemplate doing either

trex..dont blame the lad..i'm with him on that one! what are your plans this year? popping up north at all?

27/01/2014 at 22:09

Hats of GKD, its a tough route anytime of year, but with the conditions of  a few weeks ago it can rightfully claim to be one of the toughest!

Enjoy Mickleden CD, good distance fell run there, can't beat a good L. Quite a wet one perhaps?

Feel a bit humble in my reporting now - no winds, rain, hill, fell or moorland and only 27m for first long run this year. Enjoyed a good point to point trot from Hull to Bridlington though and a good confidence booster as no energy problems during or after. Near 10m of good path and trail on an old railway line then out mostly field edge paths which were plenty muddy in places as were the ploughed fields on route. Nice to do something different passing little villages I've never heard of despite them being so close. And some nice beach miles to bring me into Bridlington before hitting the prom and a sit down for fish and chips.

GKD
27/01/2014 at 22:25

Cheers Gents, did the full Spine and it was as tough as you'd expect, only plan for this year was to finish which I did quite comfortably. Knowing what I know now I'm thinking of going back next year and racing it properly but it's such a huge commitment I'm going to take a little longer to think about it

GKD
28/01/2014 at 21:43

Well done gary.   Followed you on the tracker.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.