The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,901 to 2,920 of 2,983 messages
28/01/2014 at 22:00

I thought I was following you on the tracker, wasn't too sure of your *proper* identity but a bit of guesswork proved me right

Good effort DE, not humble at all,, anything achieved in January deserves recognition . What is next?  You can't beat decent fish and chips ... I'll never forget how quickly I stuffed down the plate of chips thrust into my hands at the Sticklebarn checkpoint in the Lakes, I was literally shovelling them into my mouth - no grace at all, much to the amusement of Andy

Currently a bit side-lined with a tight hip-flexor/si joint thing. I always trash myself in January somehow, but Great Glen Way not until start of July thankfully. Would be nice to be getting some  hillwork in for my mountain marathon in April but as myself and my partner are both sidelined with SI joint problems (clearly a girl thing) we are planning on taking it easy and just trying to make good route choices!! Ha flipping ha!!

29/01/2014 at 10:47

Whats the si joint?    

I've had a few problems with my hips too. 

I am also thinking of doing that high terrain event in October. ...

29/01/2014 at 13:03

sacroiliac joint - is at the back of the pelvis, responsible for all sorts of bother, along with lazy glutes and tight hip flexors. Much time spent rolling around on ball and roller and visit to osteo - Just what you need in January, the month of no money!!!

It looks a good-un the Lakes one. I see Ultimate Trails are promoting their ultra for next year already ...

29/01/2014 at 19:19

My problem was I had pelvic tilt through weak glutes and hamstrings.    Done loads of exercises and seems a lot better. 

29/01/2014 at 22:41

sounds very familiar spen - mine had tilted out so is being assisted back by various methods ... is almost literally a pain in the ar*e!!

31/01/2014 at 12:46

collie dave - mainly tackling southern events this year in places like Thames Path, Brecon Beacons, Anglesey, and hopefully have a go at the Cotswold Way.  Races on the Hadrian's Wall Path and Cleveland Way definitely attract for future years.

Archie is a Welsh Border Collie and I think his long legs mean he goes even further than the regular brand.

Wondering whether to go out with him in this lot that's coming down at the moment.

31/01/2014 at 13:05

Lots of glutes exercises then CC.   Clams,  bridges and one I discovered is doing a plank with the arms further forward. 

31/01/2014 at 18:35

I've been doing the clams and bridges, but not tried the plank as you describe so will add that to the list!!! Have had problems in the past and they've usually cleared up OK but this time being a bit more resistant to help so all tips gratefully received!!

31/01/2014 at 21:11

Think it is called russian kb plank

31/01/2014 at 22:12

that bodes well then with a name like that!!

12/02/2014 at 18:44

How's it going?   Not long to my first race of the year.    The Belvoir challenge. 

Hip is a slight niggle still. 

12/02/2014 at 22:28

hope the hip holds out!

mine is really taking a while to settle down,  few other areas kicking off too. off for a biomechanical assessment tmrw, never had one, not sure what a feel about idea but osteo has suggested - all my injuries and niggles are in same side of body etc etc.

how long until belvoir? I was meant to be doing Dee 33, but seeing as longest run - 18 miles was about three weeks ago and I'm averaging 10 mpw at the moment, it isn't going to happen! sigh ...

17/02/2014 at 12:56

Hope various niggles and injuries are settling down? I was plagued with bugs, virae, colds all through Dec and Jan. Would get a few good weeks in only to have to stop again. Got my Hull-Brid run in, but had to miss some training the following week as life got in the way. Feeling better and more time the last few weeks and ready for the February long run next sunday - the trails, paths, field edges, minor roads to get me around Hull in as scenic a manor as possible. Will be about 43m as sticking a few miles outside of town for the most part. Been really looking forward to this one!

Bit more on my 12 challenges (well the ones settled on anyway) and how the first one went here http://woldsmandan.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited: 17/02/2014 at 12:57
17/02/2014 at 16:09

Well done DE, am envious of your long runs, but good to hear your bugs and virae disappeared!  We are almost through the grim months - not that we've had anywhere near the rain the rest of the country has had in our little micro-climate up here. Is still grim though!!  Off to read your blog a bit later ...

24/02/2014 at 17:34

February long run done. Plenty of miles into strong winds, but otherwise a nice jaunt in the countryside north, east and west of Hull and a few miles in Hull to go south of it along the bank of Humber. 43.6m done

04/03/2014 at 22:24

Good effort DE, that's a great distance to get under your belt so early in the year. Off to read blog in a mo.

Have bailed on the Highlander Mountain Marathon - bit gutted but girl I was planning to do it with has also been out with injury and she really didn't seem keen on the idea of hurling herself around it in a less-than-fit state, so we decided to pull. I think I'd have been fine, but slow but don't fancy trying to find a new partner now. c'est la vie!!

Fingers crossed niggles finally abating.  Decided to ignore comments of biomechanics guy - tried running in some mega cushioned shoes I had kicking around, along with his bl**dy inserts and ended up in even more discomfort. So am running in a pair of terrafly 277s I got for £40 this week and am cautiously hopeful - managed 8.5 today without knee pain . Lots of strengthening and stretching.  14 weeks until Great Glen Way Ultra, no long runs done since early January - ummmmm - jury is still out.

Have a place in a looooong, cold and either wet and or frozen challenge in January  (as you do, when you are out injured). Husband not fully aware of the implications on domestic arrangements I think, but hey, it's only a week!!

GKD
04/03/2014 at 22:50

You have a year to get it planned, easy peasy

GKD
04/03/2014 at 23:52

I know ... and I will NOT be deterred

05/03/2014 at 14:13

Long, wet and cold in January ... sounds great, intrigued to hear more  Hope you make it back for the Great Glen Ultra. I've no biomechanical qualifications, but I know I've been much less injured since I started off-roading more and especially since I started using more minimal, less cushioned shoes, closer to barefoot type shoes. Don't run in any of the major hight street brands now and feel the better for it.

I was feeling good and squeezed an extra long one in this month (Sat 1st) a week after the 43. Couldn't resist as feeling quite good and it was a local LDWA challenge. Speedy stuff with a fair bit of road and only 1800ft +/- so it was a good chance to practice a sustained run. Will hopefully do me some favours next month for the more runnable bits of Hardmoors 55, just need to do some more hill training now, bit rusty.

20/03/2014 at 16:31

If anybody wants to know what its like to run around Hull, I can now offer a definitive blog guide here. Hopefully not too dull as the run itself was varied enough with quiet country lanes, busy city streets, running over the top of working docklands, disused docklands, rugby stadiums, drainage channels, lock-gates, ploughed fields, farm tracks, runnable trail, crop fields, waves, large ferries, the odd small hill and lots of wind!

Onto the next.... since the rather flats trips Round Hull 43 and then the Golden Fleece Circuit 27 the next weekend I've tried to 'Hill' more in preperation for Saturdays Hardmoors 55. Feeling good to go, staying in Helmsley YHA the night before and day-off tomorrow for leisurely pack, family time and early evening drive up there. Anybody else reading this doing it? See you there if so, if you've not done it before its a good long moorland trail run and you'll like it - except when your tired in the second half, when you might not.... as per any ultra haha

2,901 to 2,920 of 2,983 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.