The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,921 to 2,940 of 2,979 messages
29/07/2014 at 14:58

Some warm/hot running over the last few days. Timely for my main prep weekend for next months challenge. Did 18m undulator on Sunday morning, on feet most of rest of day doing a BBQ for family. Then with a heavier pack ran 30m+ of flat/undulating miles yesterday between hours of 10.30 and 4.00 in heat peak (as was a point-to-point home so at mercy of irregular and indirect public transport to get to start).

Got what I wanted from it, legs felt nice and fresh before second run so fitness is quite good, didn't suffer till beyond 20m in second run really. Especially during the second, but both runs in heat and run quite a bit faster than challenge will be due to time constraints. And legs not too bad today, achiest things are shoulders from the pack, but think during yesterdays run I've come up with a few ideas to lighten the load. Silly things I hadn't thought of with initial kitlist like, instead of having a t-shirt/shorts in bag for night, just use a spare pair of running shorts and t-shirt(s) I'd pack anyway. So maybe rather than 3/4 full 20l pack I can try a few things to get away with just a full 12l pack. Doesn't sound much, but over several days I think "marginal gains" will be helpful to maintain physical wellbeing and self-belief.

WiB - Typically, after the talk of the Pyrenean events at least part of me is thinking, could I do that in 2015? Most likely of those events would be Celestrail, well up my list now as well as a few other possibles (CCC, TDS, Lavaredo, Transvulcania). Re. course marking I also found UTMB events to be really good for that too. Events in uk that attempt often seem to fall foul of markers being moved and suchlike.

30/07/2014 at 08:02
Cragchick great running! Intrigued about the winner
31/07/2014 at 13:59

Great run and report Cragchick, you really attacked the course and maintained a great pace over a long distance. Flapjack sounds great, usually my go-to food for longuns too.

I'm still behind on write-ups, but have got second part of (May's) Centenary way written up and bit of info on Great Yorkshire River run and prep for - http://woldsmandan.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited: 31/07/2014 at 14:00
31/07/2014 at 14:32

Brilliant Cragchick

10/08/2014 at 18:50

Evening all

I seem to have the bug- ..... Since completing the 100k in Gravesend back in May, I have now pushed the envelope again for next year by entering my first 100m event- Thames Path 100. Help! Lol! 

Cragchick and DE- enjoyed the reports!

11/08/2014 at 12:01

JD - Once you step over 26.2m "the craziness" has you. And won't let you go until you've tried 100m Whether or not it will let you go after the first successful or unsuccessful attempt depends on how bad your infected with it! Best of luck, that's got to be mentally a toughee with all that level running.

Getting really excited about GYRR now (starting next Tuesday), route all but finalised, maps marked, train booked, B&Bs booked, had a good 'dry run' at weekend with a pack loaded a similar amount to what will be on the day(s) (everything in a 12L bag and small bumbag), sponsorship coming in, on-the-run food supplies stocked up. Going to be great..... and probably at times pretty awful too I can imagine.....but I think the overall will make for a great experience.

11/08/2014 at 13:02

DE- thanks - and good luck for GYRR

GKD
29/08/2014 at 20:12

The Spine is a hiking race, if you can do that at the moment under weight then you'll be fine, if potentially you're going to make more of a mess of your knee by doing the 3000's then I guess the question is which do you want more?

GKD
29/08/2014 at 20:38

I think the Spine has more to do with walking than running if we are all honest.

GKD
29/08/2014 at 21:33

Not a problem, I ran a little every day but only really because it was a point of pride, I doubt if it contributed very much to my overall speed. This year it was just too boggy. 

GKD
29/08/2014 at 21:37

Cragchick - lots and lots of mountains are just up your street I think . I don't understand why you have not done Lakeland 100 yet from that point of view - but maybe too commercial when it comes down to it.

GKD
29/08/2014 at 22:28

Forum is pretty quiet these days, days go by when I don't post and it seems it's the same way for quite a few of the old faces.

Tor des Geants next weekend.

GKD
30/08/2014 at 12:14

Anyone know what Fellrunner is up to?  He seems to have disappeared off this forum for over a year.

One of my inspirational people.

Great write-up about Billy Bland in the current issue of Trail Running magazine.

31/08/2014 at 15:45

Well done all those going around the various Mont-Blanc races over the last week 

01/09/2014 at 18:17

Hi all.

T-Rex - I had a read of that, he was an amazing runner. Some of his long fell race records and the BGR record are awesome. But I suppose he did put in training miles on fell that are up their with what the semi-elite road runners do, he can't have ever stopped what with a day job and family, as those miles take way longer even at his speed!

booktrunk - Yes, well done to those out their in Chamonix. Always envious to see those out their taking on those beasties.

GKD - Cracking, look forward to hearing about that one as its on my "one of these days" list.

Cragchick - Glad you've got your targets sorted. Does sound like the best approach. I've not got around to writing anything about the run yet, hopefully will soon. I'll pop a summary on this thread in meantime tomorrow if I get chance.

Next ones for me are HP40, Yorkshire marathon and maybe a trail marathon/or 20-30m trail run in Nov-Dec. half my mind is already on next year now. Won't be 12 ultra's again, probably less long ones, more focus on a particular event domestic or continental and tickover with hardmoors trail series or similar. A new "target" has entered my sights - Blue Trail Tenerife - as I like the idea of crossing the whole Island working up to the giant Mt. Teide (which is quite a big higher than most of the Alps long trails go I think - 3500m+). But for various reasons the timings might not be right next year. May throw my hat in the CCC/TDS bag, UTMB is not a possibility as don't have the points for 2015. Not to mention a whole host of cracking domestic options.

Edited: 01/09/2014 at 18:22
02/09/2014 at 13:58

Soo..... what did I do the week before last

Tuesday morning after breakfast, dropping the boy at Nursery and saying goodbye to Clare - I packed my gear into my 12L pack: spare shorts, t-shirt, socks; wind-jacket, waterproofs, thin baselayer, warmer baselayer, hat/gloves/spare buff, food, headtorch, phone and garmin charger (good old USB, only needed to carry one plug for two leads, which helped with limited space), tablets/compeeds/first aid stuff, small wash kit, sample size pouch of sun-lotion, small bottle laundry detergent, space shoe lace/string, tissue/soiling bags/wipes, b&b/train instructions, two sets route maps and schedule (places, rough times, mileages).

All went in at a squeeze and not that heavy. Everything else would be worn or picked up on route. I did also have a small bumbag up front with quick access to phone, money/debit card, notepad and just as an extra pocket for food, etc.... I used lots of small and quite thick plastic bags to waterproof everything that I think needed to be.

Taxi to Hull station (as I packed last minute), train replacement-bus to Selby, train to Leeds to meet my connection with the train to take me on the famously scenic settle-Carlisle railway. I'd stocked up with a veggie flatbread and drink from greggs at Hull for lunch and basically was nibbling all day on things like cereal bars. Lovely railway journey, you don't get much of a view of the glorious ribblehead viaduct on train as your going over it, but the section through the Yorkshire 3-peaks area is pretty impressive, though I'd say the high-level traverse through Dentdale at the other side of the tunnel trumps it! Emerging into the next dale I was off at Garsdale (West end of Wensleydale) at 2pm and picked up by the B&b owner who also does local taxiing.

B&B only a mile away and apart from pub next door its a pretty remote road pass hallway between Hawes and Sedbergh. B&B more luxurious than needed, but ideal spot for my challenge. So I made use of the amenities, nibbled the complimentary biscuits, cups of tea, then chilled for awhile. Then about 4pm headed out for day 0 run.

Day 0 - I headed just up the junction road then off through a campsite, upward past a plantation to join a section of pennine bridleway. This undulated and twisted along the hillside passing gills running off the moorland above and lots of shake holes - typical "off the beaten track" dales I thought. After just over a mile north-west along this path I diverged off path at a right angle onto pathless, tussock strewn and sometimes wet moorland. Slow progress up the hill but found the white stick marking top of the unnamed local peak at 666 metres, then I turned slightly west of north and downhill to seek out the earliest trickles I could of the River Ure.

A few hundred metres away I found evidence of water breaking through an tracking back a bit could hear a trickle underground - good enough for me as the source or close to. I followed close to the water where I could down the hill, on feint 4x4 tracks or through pathless vegetation to get back down to the pennine bridleway. I then headed back to B&b via slightly different lower paths and road. Good little 8.15m with 1500ft asc and desc. Quite slow due to half of it being pathless moor. Great views from top over valley and neighbouring peaks though.

Made use of the fancy power shower in B&B, but decided to save the complimentary fluffy robe for another day. Washed wet socks, wringed dry and then compressed in towel and hung. Other gear not to wet or dirty yet.  Mark turned up about half 6 having travelled up the dale from Ripon. Tomorrow Mark would be running with me back that way, the days after that I was on my own. On B&B owners advice

02/09/2014 at 14:40

day 1 - Garsdale-Ripon (54m) - Up just after 5.30 which isn't that much of a shock as up at 6 most days. As we'd be out before breakfast the owners had left cereal, OJ and milk in fridge. Got some granola down and got packed up. 7:02 out the door. Was a cool start, despite sunny spells I was in thin baselayer and wind-jacket at first. Nice opening section undulating along northbank of fledgling river on often faint path. In the rugged western bit of wensleydale amongst the higher hills of the dale.

Crossed river and main dale road at Thwaite Bridge and followed farm tracks and more undulating grassy paths. nervous moment passing cows with calves but no other issues. Jacket was off before Hawes as the sun came out. Grabbed a pasty in Hawes bakery. Then north along road passing big bends in river and joining a b-road part way up north-bank and following west. All good so far and a lovely sunny and slightly cool day. Joined old railway bank path to Askrigg. Through the pretty village (think 'All Creature Great and Small' from 80's) and we moved further up north-bank of dale to follow a higher level track through old lead mine and generally scarred area of mid-dale, still some big hills enclosing us but not the same scale as where we started and slightly more poplulated areas in dale below.

This path took us to Castle Bolton and Redmire - where the Wensleydale railway ends (line used to go a lot further into dale). Now moving into the wider and lower-hill flanked east of dale we followed decent tracks through working plantations, woodlands, passed grand houses into Wensley. We bypassed the larger settlement of Leyburn and crossed the Ure at 'tower flanked' Middleham bridge.

Into Middleham and its lunchtime. loads of pubs (for all the stable lads and lasses to relax in this race-horse town), but not great for on the go food. Got a dry packet sandwich from a shop and a fizzy drink and some water to top up my bottles. Only noticed nice sandwich shop on the way out (DOH!).

Passed impressive Middleham castle ruins. A little walk to get going again, legs pretty good for over a marathon done. If anything just a little stiff from plod mode. A few hotspots on feet though, not good! Over some grassy land and along river Cover for awhile, which feeds into Ure. Some nice riverbank running on what has been a greatly varied route so far. Good track passed Jervaulx abbey. Then a few slightly frustrating miles trying to follow little used paths through farming land over small hills.

Hitting the A6108 into Masham, for first time in day I'm feeling a little fed up as still many miles to go and feet are worrying me. A pick-me-up for me and Mark in Masham as we get to append our meagre Middleham lunch in the fish and chip shop which opened at 4.30pm as we arrived. washed that down with fizzy drink from co-op.

02/09/2014 at 22:41

This looks to be epic - sorry for not asking how it went, DE!

03/09/2014 at 11:43

Forgot the forum not a good place to post long run reports, just realised its chopped last few paragraphs of day 1. Will conclude it (again) later

03/09/2014 at 11:46

Loving the reports

2,921 to 2,940 of 2,979 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.