The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,921 to 2,940 of 3,047 messages
20/03/2014 at 17:45

Good luck for the hardmoors.   Next up for me is round Coventry way.   A flat 40 miles.    Cheap as chips and I fancy beating my PB of 7 hours.   Next after that is the apocalypse 50 which will give me more indication of where I am.

GKD
20/03/2014 at 19:06

Flat 40s will certainly give you a good idea of where you're at, just long enough that you can run all of it, hopefully at an even pace too.

Fellsman next for me a d I quite fancy a 100k in Transylvania two weeks after. Its not often you can say you finished a race in Dracula's castle

GKD
20/03/2014 at 19:47

stop it you lot ... too depressing ... I have nothing on immediate horizon - mm binned due to partner still in injured, think I'll try and do a mountain yomp for a day that weekend anyway ... dirty thirty in June, need something before then though really!

25/03/2014 at 13:21

Hi Cragchick. Those self-planned trips are often the best anyway

GKD - Also, saw that event and it intrigued me.

spen  - Best of luck for the fast 40 and the apocalypse.

Hardmoors was a massive disappintment for me. Planning and prep was pretty darned good. All ready to go for a fast one. But didn't feel 100% the day before and despite best efforts to eat and do the right things evening before and morning of the event I was uncomfortable from the start and and using too much effort at what should be easy pace in early stages. So much so that on the way to Kildale (11m) on flat/slight slope after coming off hills I was already walking and decided it wasn't worth pushing on. Retired there at11m, feeling like I'd done 30+ in the legs, a bit dizzy and tired. Never felt this bad so early in an event I'm trained for. Pushing on with this one is a bit risky as no more indoor CP or anything much resembling civilisation or a chance to be picked up easily until 33m thereafter.

Strange really as I didn't fall over with flu (man- or the other kind) or anything the next day, just aching all over and tired. Been very busy work, rest and play so maybe just hit a temporary burnout. Starting to feel a bit better already and going to pull myself together as Woldsman 50 is only 2.5 weeks away.

Edited: 25/03/2014 at 13:22
25/03/2014 at 14:09

Perhaps your own longer endeavours had taken more out of you than you'd anticipated?

Yes, self-planned trips are often better. I would love to try and do the Cairngorm circuit this summer at some point - will be good Spine practice too if I wait until autumn , so may try for a shorter section of that, likely still plenty of snow around.

A long run for me yesterday - hurrah!!! Not out of the woods yet on the niggle front, but 17 miles (admittedly knee was aided with some rock tape), but after an absolutely brutal sports massage last week (I was physically bruised ),( with a guy who is virtually impossible to book as he jets off everywhere doing massage for much more important people!!), I feel like my body is functioning better and more efficiently. Just need to banish the niggles for good now. 17 miles, half of which was along a windswept beach with just the seals for company and great views of a snow-capped Ben Wyvis, and then the rest back through the forest. So good to feel proper sun on my face. 

14 weeks until Great Glen Way ... doable perhaps just about!!

GKD
25/03/2014 at 16:13

Sorry to hear about your Hardmoors DE, sometimes you can just have an accumulation of little things like stress and lack of sleep which means your prep is all for naught. At least you're experienced enough to recognise there was no point thrashing yourself to the next covered checkpoint and potentially doing yourself some real damage.

Did you decide what to do about the Transylvania 100K? It looks good doesn't it?

Good news about getting back into things CC, I'm STILL struggling for form after the Spine but it's getting there, it took far more out of me than I realised. I still think I can take a decent chunk of time out of it next year but I'm not sure it's worth being trashed for a couple of months afterwards

GKD
25/03/2014 at 20:43

GKD: could you please do me a favour and give me a piggyback for the first 99 miles next year I'll cope doing the rest  

25/03/2014 at 23:51

GKD - my friend who did the challenger was surprised more by how much it affected him mentally, as well as physically. Obviously a shorter distance, but even so, still 100ish miles, I think the combo of the distance and the brutal weather ... and he finished with a decent time/placing. So I think it's hardly surprising really but we do underestimate. I remember after my first ever 50-miler, I couldn't understand why my legs had no 'ooomph' for about a month following the event, I could run but just dead legs ... patience pays off, but is bl00dy frustrating in the meantime.  Can totally understand about not wanting to write off the months afterwards too. Is a lot to ask the body for sure.

Hardest thing is being brave enough to call something a day - have done that in the hills on a fair few occasions when it's just not worth the risk, always the 'what if' though

26/03/2014 at 18:00

Thanks all. I think it was probably an accumulation of things as already feeling quite a bit better and logged two commute runs this week where I've felt no worse than usual. It's funny how sometimes a long run seems to flatten your for ages, other times not so much. Certainly mindset created from a good run can help with another soon after, but can also stroll you into overuse I suppose. I had a disappointing finish to a tough trail mara last year and vowed to improve pacing, up the hill training, improve nutrition on the run and a few other things for my next planned one - and it did pay off.

GKD - Transylvania one in the memory banks for a future year I think as I'm just domestic-running this year, would love to hear about it if you do it.

Cragchick - Sounds a cracker from your description and not easy miles either on the beach!

27/03/2014 at 14:38

Hey DE,

Still at it I see, just having a random browse after years of absence I guess most people run through Transylvania

27/03/2014 at 14:40

CollieDave have you ditched me of your fb?

27/03/2014 at 15:39

Hi Mr Zodiac, what you been upto, are you still out there running somewhere?

27/03/2014 at 23:11

Hello, steve-z!  We're all still here, some of us getting old and doddery now ...  How are you?

DE - sounds like a bout of post-viral fatigue.  Can hang around for a week or two.

Off to Connemara weekend after next but not sure I'll be able to better Fellrunner's time (at the same age, I believe?) in the ultra.  training has been pretty non-existent for one reason or another.

Then on first BH w/e in May it will be the Thames Path 100 which is not at all gnarly and doesn't really deserve a mention on this thread.  I understand the path has emerged out of the water in recent days.

GKD
27/03/2014 at 23:17

My home town T Rex, lovely race, I just wish it was off road. Seems a shame to be running through such a lovely area with no real connection to it. Must go back and do it again some year

GKD
28/03/2014 at 12:44

I know.  Running around the mountains instead of in them!  Still very scenic for a road race, though.

Wicklow Way ultra looks good:  www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1119

29/03/2014 at 11:54

I'm fine Mr. Rex an DE, but unfortunately not running, other than - occasional, disjointed jogs. My degree is time demanding...excuses...etc...etc...

Looks like you're still at it and enjoying - great stuff! 

29/03/2014 at 20:28

'Occasional, disjointed jogs'.  That's sounds just like me, then!

Good to hear from you, though, steve.  We'll all have to have a get together at some point, including collies.  

30/03/2014 at 09:34

Yeah Mr Rex, I'm intending on some sort of fitness campaign in the summer. but CD has disappeared from my radar - I need to contact him and will. To save me time backtracking the thread - have you been injured? Why the slow down?

30/03/2014 at 13:45

Had a major setback 2012-13 with a broken collarbone and nerve damage to my shoulder (bike accident) which hasn't completely cleared up.  Most of the movement has come back but can't do things like press ups, etc, and when I'm running I feel as if the left arm is a dead weight I have to carry around.

No, I'm just not training sensibly for various reasons, mainly work.

CD comes on here from time to time.  Fellrunner has disappeared for a year or more. Probably bought a cottage in Knoydart to get away from the crowds.

07/04/2014 at 14:35

Hi all. Whats been going on? Been a bit less wet and windy the last few weeks for us all - though if FR still out there I'm sure he preferred it as it was

How did Connemara go? did you manage ok despite training concerns? I'd still say that TP100 is pretty gnarly, its 100m afterall and most people have a tendency to adapt speed to the terrain so not that much easier than a hilly off-road one (maybe harder in some ways mentally).

Been a weird year for me so far, feel very fit/strong one minute and then not the next. Particularly noticable at Hardmoors 55. Since then bashed out a 25m in muddy hills on a wet and windy day the weekend before last and I felt it had mauled me. But the strange thing was the pace wasn't bad without pushing too hard from the start, though I had to work hard on hills/flats at the end. Feeling better the week since with some good runs, nothing beyond 11m, but some good hills and effort expended without the burned up feeling. Now back into a mini-taper for the Woldsman on Saturday, which is my local trail ultra and one I enjoy a lot. Then a month from that to prepare for a jump up to 83m for the Centenery Way (York Filey) unsupported.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.