The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,941 to 2,960 of 2,984 messages
07/04/2014 at 22:32

Well did the round Coventry way 40 mile ultra yesterday.   I managed 42 miles as took wrong turning and also spent another ten mins arsing around trying to work out where I was.   So probably 30 mins lost in total.    Finished 6th in 7.04,  may have been closer to 6.30.

10/04/2014 at 01:44

DE - have you had a virus you're struggling to bounce back from?  Don't get disheartened at any rate.  Keep going and you'll get back to strong performances.

Well done, spen71.  Gutting about the 'diversion', especially if near the end.

Connemara 39.3 went well.  A steady road race with very strong winds which probably added 10-15 minutes to my time, which was an average 6:27 for 119/193.  Felt strong and only let one runner by in the last 20 miles, but overtook many.

12/04/2014 at 22:15

Good run at the Woldsman 50 (51). Set off a bit fast, but  first third is relatively flat and tempting, suffered a bit 20-25, meal at halfway but still suffering on harder next leg, a few choice nibbles and energy returned for the hilliest section. After which back to undulacting/flat and held on well for an 8.41 finish. Last time I ran here, admittedly a tougher day I was nearly two hours Slower. Good that the training paid off this month

cracking runs Spen and T Rex, especially considering unwelcome diversions and strong winds (respectively).

14/04/2014 at 20:11

Cheers DE and TRex.   Good runs by you pair.

Got a calf problem now and off to the fizz tomorrow.    Already one week off.    Hope it does not take too long to heal as only 15 weeks to LL100.

16/04/2014 at 08:57

Hi everyone!

DE- good to see you going well

Spen- sounds like a good run, given the nav mishap....

SZ-????? Welcome back!!!

Just wanted to pick your collective brains- has anyone run the Compton 40? Thinking of doing it this weekend and just wondered if anyone had any info- trail shoes/roadies, frequency of aid stations etc.

Ta!

16/04/2014 at 19:30

I did it last year.   Aid stations are every 6 or 7 miles.   As it has been dry recently should think it would be ok in road shoes. 

16/04/2014 at 20:20

Thanks, spen Thinking of doing it as a last long run before ACP 100k in May

16/04/2014 at 21:26

Acp?

16/04/2014 at 21:49

Anglo Celtic Plate - also National 100ks in Gravesend

04/05/2014 at 17:25

Didn't do Compton in the end, but followed Steve Way around in the National 100k and Anglo Celtic Plate yesterday at Cyclopark in Gravesend. Always going to be a PB as it was my first outing beyond 40m Went better than I imagined! Second back for Wales in 7.45 Especially pleased as it was hot and there were 2 hills which we encountered 48 times

Really great day organised by tzruns

06/05/2014 at 14:52

Yikes thats a lot of times to hill Ujd, great result and pace over 100k! 

Btw... If its given you a liking for lots of hills, check this out http://www.thehillultra.com/ ... flipping mental, one finisher last year in foul weather, the approriately named Jon Steele 

At a more sedate pace I'll be starting my Centenary Way in a day (83m), starting Friday evening at Filey and (hopefully) finishing Saturday sometime at York Minster. I really feel I should be more organised for it at this stage, but trying to keep cool and avoid pre-run overexcitement or stress getting organised. Just me, my clothes, map, GPS for backup, 12L bag with the essentials, and trail shoes.

Edited: 06/05/2014 at 15:09
06/05/2014 at 15:15

DE- ta and have a great weekend

06/05/2014 at 15:18

Oh, and I'll pass on The Hill, for now, at least! 

06/05/2014 at 18:59

DE - good luck, hope you enjoy   Look forward to hearing about it.

I have managed long runs the last three weeks - 20 miles, 22 miles and then last week 24 miles!  Am still in one piece although had some horror niggles after the 24-miler but seem to have abated now thankfully. Easy week this week thank god!! I have nine weeks until The Great Glen Way ... eek

07/05/2014 at 12:25

Hi all

no running for me for a month now.   Tenditis in the ankle and ITB.   Already dropped out of the 50 miler in a couple of weeks.

hopefully will get fit for lakeland 100.  

Been to two physios and all they did was manipulate me a little and then say it will be ok.   Does not inspire me with confidence about them.

08/05/2014 at 13:47

Hi Spen. Sorry to hear your still having troubles. It sounds a bit like the physio's are giving you a bit of a fob off as given enough time doing nothing at all the problems would probably sort themselves, you'd expect them to do something to try an accelerate the process if possible. Hope you get sorted soon to have a good stab at L100 training, its still quite a long way off.

Sounds like good progress Cragchick, hopefully the niggles after the 24 are just there due to the step up and will be one of those things that seems concerning at the time, but when you look back weeks later you realised no problems followed them up. 9 weeks sounds like plenty if your getting in 20's already.

I've caught up on the blog a bit, now got the Woldsman written up with more pics than my usual efforts too as well as a bit of a pre-Centenary way planning/brain purge (as much for my own organisation getting it on paper as for others to read and maybe get something from). http://woldsmandan.blogspot.co.uk/

08/05/2014 at 16:27

Thanks DE.   I've been doing all the stretches and rolling a man could.I'm hoping with a my good base that a good ten week training block will be enough to get me around.q

12/05/2014 at 18:44

Completed the Centenary way, starting Friday at 19:30 in Filey, over part of the Yorkshire Wolds and then the Howardian Hills before arriving at York Minster 85m and 21hours later. Wind-bound most of the way (at least it wasn't strong) and regularly doused in showers of varying heaviness (including a thunderstorm, hail), often sodden ground and soaked undergrowth.

Pleased to have only added about 2m in nav errors as signage was patchier than expected (assuming the 83m claim is accurate for route) and to have done it 'mostly' unsupported carrying most of food and drink I needed - caveats to unsupported being that I bought a pasty and drink from a one-stop at 6.10am on the saturday morning in Malton and met a mate who I ran last 32m with who topped up my water and gave me a donut. Also pleasing is fact my feet still have skin barring half of one little toe. Looking forward to holiday next week now

Edited: 12/05/2014 at 18:46
12/05/2014 at 19:14

Wow DE, that's a fabulous effort, well done, especially with feet still in fact too. I'm hoping for a mini adventure on Friday, planning to head down to Glenmore and do a 30 mile circuit taking in the Lairig Ghru and Lairig and Laoigh. Just hoping the stepping stones at Falls of Avon are clear or it'll be a detour via Ben Macdui, which whilst lovely, is not quite the plan! So keeping fingers crossed for decent weather. Ran a random 10km road race on Saturday, one of our local ones and was astounded to be just 14 seconds over my 43.08pb ... Of the back of no speed training at all, and barely any tarmac running, 5th lady. Still walking a fine line with the niggles but fingers crossed. Hope you are healing Spen??

12/05/2014 at 22:15

Great job DE.  You're doing exactly the sort of running I would like to do if I was capable of it. Largely unsupported long personal challenges.

Unfortunately in the Thames Path 100 I was a DNF, only getting as far as mile 72, and had to pull out for exactly the same problem as on Ridgeway 85 in 2012, where I got as far as mile 83.  The gradual onset of severe pain deep within inner quad muscles where they join the hip and the gradual loss of motor control of the legs meant another rescue from the course by ambulance and a 35-hour stay in A&E at Oxford.  Rhabdomyolysis again.

Fortunately I recognised the symptoms and the type of pain and asked for help before I became completely immobile as had happened in 2012.

It seems I'm not cut out for distances over about 50 miles.  There's no obvious solution to this problem and I don't want to risk my health again with this - the two main dangers are compartment syndrome which can lead to permanent muscle damage and kidney failure.

Going to have to bring my running ambitions into check which is frustrating.

The only way to avoid it is to become a 'hard man' training much more intensely, clocking up bigger mileages over more days of the week, constantly out in the hills to condition the muscles, but I have not got the time for that.  And other parts of me might suffer!

Biggest event ahead now is 10Peaks Brecon Beacons in September at only about 55 miles plus a few (planned) diversions.

2,941 to 2,960 of 2,984 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.