The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,981 to 3,000 of 3,067 messages
15/01/2016 at 13:25

This thread should be buzzing, since there are a few ultra nuts and potential ultra nuts among us. I'm as much to blame as anyone for being quiet. Has anyone got any Ultras coming up this year as part of their SNOD training?

15/01/2016 at 15:45

Not all of these entered yet so subject to places available:

• 2 Apr Vale Coastal 30
  • 9 Apr Taith Torfaen 52
  • 6 Aug  Round the Rock (Jersey) 48
  • 10 Sep  10Peaks Brecon Beacons 55
  • 17 Sep  Chiltern Wonderland 50
  • 1 Oct  Gower 50
15/01/2016 at 16:23

T Rex, I am contemplating Vale Coastal and Round the Rock.

Have entered Dartmoor trail ultra 31st of Jan. Not really done any long runs so just want to finish and asses my fitness level.

15/01/2016 at 20:30

Hardmoors 55 and then Hardcadtle 24H my two in the first six months of the year.

15/01/2016 at 20:43
Hardmoors 55
Apocalypse 50
And then my big target.......
Bob Graham
15/01/2016 at 21:37

First of all: Well Done spen 71 for resurrecting this thread & Thank You.

I'm currently not running, so I have no idea about the year ahead. However, I would like to wish everyone Good Luck with their hopes, aspirations & plans.

I have some but little experience with ultras so it's Hats off to spen71, T Rex & Drunken Euphoria.

Any idea when the BGR might be spen71.

15/01/2016 at 23:29
Sometime in July I think. Got a few support duties lined up first, as that is the best way to get people to support me
16/01/2016 at 17:30

Well, Good Luck to you for when the time comes.

18/01/2016 at 12:05

Hi all. Nice to see some chat here. I don't look at RW as often these days, seem to look at the chat at FB more these days.

BN - I see your in for the UTMB again. Best of luck, no doubt you have plenty of events in prep? Might see if I can get in 2017 as have some points from TDS and possible another bunch from another event last year - which woul mean only 1 (old) or 3 (new) needed. Even if not I should pick up what's needed this year if goes to plan.

TR - Sounds a nice mix of events.

Spen - You'll love it (BGR).

Thanks Jim, best of luck getting back up and running.

Not much planned here, mostly training for the one event anything before will be prep (chatting to a 10k-Halfmara runner at track he was quite surprised when I told him I had no 'races' entered till May).

My actual plan is something like the below (but changing regularly). Most of these are not events, but just my long training run for the month -
end of Jan - Chalkland way (40m LDP)
end of Feb - Minster Way (50m LDP) + possibly an extra 10 to get me back all the way home
end of Mar - Wolds Way (80m National Trail)
end of Apr - Hardmooors 110
end of May - Northern Traverse

Edited: 18/01/2016 at 12:06
18/01/2016 at 13:07

That's interesting. DE's post just before spen's lamenting about no activity for a year has appeared, but I don't recall seeing it before.

That's more like it; the thread's buzzing a bit now.

DE I'm impressed by all those long lonely runs you do that aren't events. You must be quite weighed down by food and drink.

spen71, hats off to you for even attempting a BGR. It would be beyond me (at least within 24 hours).

T Rex that's a nice list you have brewing.

18/01/2016 at 14:30

I guess I should join in too. Got my first Ultra in July with the Action Challenge London to Cambridge. The Manchester Marathon is 12 weeks before it so I've got a nice incremental set of races planned.

18/01/2016 at 15:34

Hi Nick,

I've got quite into lone and (mostly) unsupported ventures between the odd event. It really slows life down and simplifies when your on your own for hours. And with so many great LDPs around there is usually a 20-to-100+ mile option never too far away (LDWA website has a great searchable list of). Were pretty lucky in the UK in this way. 

The liquid and food does mean they are about heaviest constituent of the pack beyond say 40m of run, but I'm in no hurry so some extra weight is fine. In the winter for 30-40m I often get by on 1L of liquid. And the longer stuff even if remote usually has a water source or shop somewhere on route if you do a bit of planning (all part of the challenge). Only time I nearly got into trouble was a few years back with less experience I didn't plan for water resupply on Wolds Way and hit a long stretch with no shops, pubs or water sources I could be really sure of - without significant detour - so I took a slight risk on some running water of uncertain origin (had I been really concerned I suppose I could have knocked on a door).

Best of luck with that one Rob. Circular runs are easier logistically, but I love a point-to-point for feeling like I'm really going somewhere (especially if its a between two people would consider a chore even by car).

19/01/2016 at 17:20

190 miles non-stop, DE?  That's getting a serious distance.  But great, another live tracking event to follow!

I've got a long solo challenge of my own to aim towards, but it will be in 2017.  Going to spend this summer recceing and training on the route.

20/01/2016 at 13:01

RobPope, nice to hear of another imminent Ultra addict (once sampled, must do another). What's the distance of the Action Challenge event?

DE, with your experience of self-sufficient excursions had you ever considered The Spine or the Challenger? I reckon you could be a candidate (cost might be an issue though?).

My List of Ultras leading up to SNOD is:

04/03 High Peak Marathon 41

12/03 Haworth Hobble 32

09/04 Calderdale Hike 37

16/04 The Fellsman 61

15/05 Marlborough Downs Challenge 33

28/05 Dorset 100

05/06 Northants Ultra 35

18/06 Pennine 39

16/07 St Cuthbert's Way Ultra 62 (possibly)

29/07 Lakeland 100

06/08 Long Tour of Bradwell 33

26/08 UTMB 104

03/09 Bullock Smithy Hike 56 (might be forced to give that one a miss)

10/09 Clif Bar 10 Peaks Brecon Beacons 55 (ditto)

17/09 High Peak 40 (ditto)

15/10 Round Rotherham 50.

Oh flip...........

20/01/2016 at 13:23

I'm signed up for the 60 miler. Longest run I've done so far is 17 miles in training. Hoping for a 20 mile run once I've got the Cambridge Half out the way at the end of Feb.

I've just clicked the SNOD is a specific race. Is it in Snowdonia?

20/01/2016 at 13:26

Yes Rob, it's Snowdonia Marathon. I don't know where SNOD originated but it's a few years old now. T Rex will enlighten us I'm sure.

60 miles? That's a nice healthy distance for a first Ultra.

20/01/2016 at 21:45
Christ that's some list Nick
21/01/2016 at 00:55

'SNOD' is an abbreviation of 'Snododonia' which is how our much-missed friend Fellrunner (also the author of this thread) titled his, one of the earliest, Snowdonia marathon threads.

It has somehow stuck over all the years since.

Does anyone know how he is?  He left the forum it must be about three years ago now. Even if he has changed his forum name his style of posts would be instantly recognisable!!

21/01/2016 at 01:03

BritNick - I would be so glad if you did the 10Peaks Brecon Beacons.  I really would like your view of it, how you go about running it, and in particular what sort of time you can do.  My best time has been 22:59:xx, which seems very slow for only 55 miles ...

Are you concerned about post UTMB recovery or work commitments in September?

spen71 - and that's only the long events!!  BN is extraordinary, although he would be the last person to say it.

25/01/2016 at 14:00

Cracking list there Nick, come I'm familiar with, others not. St Cuthberts could be a good one as I did the Sandstone way last year in same corner of the country and it was a great low key event and a lovely area for trail running.

Plenty of time Rob, I've only done 14m longest this year. Not so much the distance I'm concentrating on but how its run that the focus is on for me. I've done running 20m+ most weekends in the past and that worked, but over the last few yearsI find one longer run per month with plenty of hardwork and 'teen'-miled LR works fine too.

T Rex - not heard from FR, think he was - maybe still is - active on fell runner forum a bit longer than on here. Look forward to hearing about the 'long challenge' I did the 'short' 10 peaks in lakes in 2014 and it was about the slowest ~33m I've ever done.

After completing TDS at second attempt and managing my first 100m+ finish since my first attempt in 2010, last year I was all set to concentrate on running fast trail marathons this year...... Then I read about the Northern Traverse and couldn't resist as figure not too much of a stretch from Sandstone mileage and would be much steadier going. And not as scary as the Spine and at a better time of year to get prepared for. Looking forward to it almost as much as any event I've done as I'm partial to the occasional multi-dayer and not too phased by lack of regular support stops (food and sleep is all the more rewarding when you do stop). I'm not 100% sure I'll do the exact build-up planned, but this would be ideal, especially as I have unfinished business on HM 110

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.