The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

2,981 to 3,000 of 3,017 messages
WiB
17/07/2014 at 15:35

GKD has been lapping up his first ultra distance victory from the second they crossed the line 

DE - We were around when the 10 peaks was going on. Saw a few runners on our run between Clough Head and Fairfield. Looked a lot of fun.

Just back from Andorra, the home of Ronda Del Cims. I did the bambino Celestrail 83k race... Anyone looking for a tough mountain race then get yourself to Andorra. Fantastic weekend in some great hills. I will definitely head back at some point, but I don't have the minerals for Ronda! Here's a little write up of my run - http://ultrapaulo.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/celestrail-2014-andorra/

WiB
18/07/2014 at 14:16

Hi WiB, Great report and effort! Those sound like a cracking series of events and further proof of the rich tapestry of mountain running out there overseas. Sometimes I wish I could split myself in half to do a few more

I see what you mean about thee toughness of the 'Ronda', the 70m Mitac has roughly similar to UTMB asc/desc. So for a 100m+ event this must rank up with the toughees of Europe (and US as that's quite a lot more asc/desc than Hardrock too) at 400+ft a mile regardless of terrain!

WiB
18/07/2014 at 15:06

Cheers, I can't imagine doing Ronda. It really is a beast from the small taste of it I got on the little sister event! 30 hours for the winner, a bit too long to be out for me.

I would highly recommend Celestrail though. Not easy, but a fantastic intro to a euro mountain race and Andorra is just a great place to go.

Mitic, I believe, is the most ascent packed of all the races although didnt seem to be as competetive as I expected for a Skyrunner race. Celestrail and Ronda seemed to have closer fields in terms of racing.

The whole weekend is great and its amazingly well organised from start to finish. How they have marked 5 different courses so well over 3 days of racing is brilliant. 

WiB
29/07/2014 at 14:58

Some warm/hot running over the last few days. Timely for my main prep weekend for next months challenge. Did 18m undulator on Sunday morning, on feet most of rest of day doing a BBQ for family. Then with a heavier pack ran 30m+ of flat/undulating miles yesterday between hours of 10.30 and 4.00 in heat peak (as was a point-to-point home so at mercy of irregular and indirect public transport to get to start).

Got what I wanted from it, legs felt nice and fresh before second run so fitness is quite good, didn't suffer till beyond 20m in second run really. Especially during the second, but both runs in heat and run quite a bit faster than challenge will be due to time constraints. And legs not too bad today, achiest things are shoulders from the pack, but think during yesterdays run I've come up with a few ideas to lighten the load. Silly things I hadn't thought of with initial kitlist like, instead of having a t-shirt/shorts in bag for night, just use a spare pair of running shorts and t-shirt(s) I'd pack anyway. So maybe rather than 3/4 full 20l pack I can try a few things to get away with just a full 12l pack. Doesn't sound much, but over several days I think "marginal gains" will be helpful to maintain physical wellbeing and self-belief.

WiB - Typically, after the talk of the Pyrenean events at least part of me is thinking, could I do that in 2015? Most likely of those events would be Celestrail, well up my list now as well as a few other possibles (CCC, TDS, Lavaredo, Transvulcania). Re. course marking I also found UTMB events to be really good for that too. Events in uk that attempt often seem to fall foul of markers being moved and suchlike.

30/07/2014 at 07:41

A few race reports for me to catch up on but some great sounding running . DE, yes, creativity for packing is key - much like on mountain marathons, same approach. Have a race report to add myself when I can get link to put in. Great glen way for me three weeks ago, 13.38 which was well under my guesstimate of 15-16 hours!! 18/79 overall (I think) and 2 or 3 lady (there is some dispute regarding the first lady that is waiting to be resolved!!!). Going through 50 miles in roughly 9 hours was a massive high for me as have never done that before!! Been out with knee problems since but now chirp has put my hips back in line I'm tentatively getting back to it. School holidays anyway so seriously limited training options ... Just over two weeks until kids back to school ... Just over eight weeks until lakes 3x3000 ... Think that will be an entirely different race and I'll be winging it somewhat!!!

30/07/2014 at 08:02
Cragchick great running! Intrigued about the winner
30/07/2014 at 17:54

here is my link to my race write-up http://findhornfran.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/the-great-glen-way-ultra-2014-fran-does-the-glen-her-way/

Re the winning lady - it's a bit weird really but rumour has it something to do with support at a checkpoint where there wasn't meant to be any ... was very specific in race rules that only a couple of CPs were suitable for any kind of support, and in reality they really only wanted drop bags to be used. Ah well, I'm happy with my result regardless of the numbers (actually happy was an understatement, bl00dy delighted more like it!!).

31/07/2014 at 13:59

Great run and report Cragchick, you really attacked the course and maintained a great pace over a long distance. Flapjack sounds great, usually my go-to food for longuns too.

I'm still behind on write-ups, but have got second part of (May's) Centenary way written up and bit of info on Great Yorkshire River run and prep for - http://woldsmandan.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited: 31/07/2014 at 14:00
31/07/2014 at 14:32

Brilliant Cragchick

10/08/2014 at 18:50

Evening all

I seem to have the bug- ..... Since completing the 100k in Gravesend back in May, I have now pushed the envelope again for next year by entering my first 100m event- Thames Path 100. Help! Lol! 

Cragchick and DE- enjoyed the reports!

11/08/2014 at 12:01

JD - Once you step over 26.2m "the craziness" has you. And won't let you go until you've tried 100m Whether or not it will let you go after the first successful or unsuccessful attempt depends on how bad your infected with it! Best of luck, that's got to be mentally a toughee with all that level running.

Getting really excited about GYRR now (starting next Tuesday), route all but finalised, maps marked, train booked, B&Bs booked, had a good 'dry run' at weekend with a pack loaded a similar amount to what will be on the day(s) (everything in a 12L bag and small bumbag), sponsorship coming in, on-the-run food supplies stocked up. Going to be great..... and probably at times pretty awful too I can imagine.....but I think the overall will make for a great experience.

11/08/2014 at 13:02

DE- thanks - and good luck for GYRR

29/08/2014 at 19:08

Still crook with dodgy knee ... Original one fine but now the other one gone (suspect compensating for the other one!!). Osteo dug in popletial (sp) tendon omg!!!!!   So now in a real quandary so help me out all ... I can walk, fast, with jogs interspersed for quite a distance = no pain, I can run up to 5 miles with minimal discomfort ... I have the spine in January and an entry in Lakeland 3x3000 in five weeks ... Do I either speed walk/jogt the Lakeland and consider ending if NEC, or say 'bugger that ... Two days in Cairngorm's with full pack/wild camp' instead ... The Spine Race = 4.5 months away

29/08/2014 at 19:09

That'll be 'consider dnfing'

29/08/2014 at 19:11

Dnf-ing deliberately and/or fast walking = spine training      DE - saw u did an awesome effort but need to read back about your self-supported epic ...drowning somewhat in back-to-school chaos and domestic dramatics here!!

GKD
29/08/2014 at 20:12

The Spine is a hiking race, if you can do that at the moment under weight then you'll be fine, if potentially you're going to make more of a mess of your knee by doing the 3000's then I guess the question is which do you want more?

GKD
29/08/2014 at 20:27

Thank you gkd pretty much what I knew in my head but always good to get the outside perspective ... The Spine I want a whole lot more!! Cairngorm's or somewhere else in Scotland for 2-3 days with full kit it is!! Hoping to get a November and December weekend too

29/08/2014 at 20:38

I think the Spine has more to do with walking than running if we are all honest.

29/08/2014 at 21:15

Oh I am under no illusions on that front ... So now I can swap long run plans for plotting mountain ranges instead ... In winter!!

GKD
29/08/2014 at 21:33

Not a problem, I ran a little every day but only really because it was a point of pride, I doubt if it contributed very much to my overall speed. This year it was just too boggy. 

GKD
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.