The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

3,001 to 3,020 of 3,065 messages
25/01/2016 at 17:28

T Rex, 22.59 hours for the 10 peaks is good , I can vouch for that  

26/01/2016 at 20:26

Thanks!  I want to go straight into sub-20 this year.  Starting to get to know the route a bit better, although still three or four 'mystery' sections where I can't yet seem to find a good route.

On top of Waun Rydd is always a mystery.

I'm going to be giving very little, if anything, away about my own challenge in 2017 .  It's quite epic and I hope just within my ability.

26/01/2016 at 20:49

There be Dragons on the horizon!!! 

26/01/2016 at 23:19

Well, dinosaurs at any rate!

27/01/2016 at 12:44
T Rex wrote (see)

BritNick - I would be so glad if you did the 10Peaks Brecon Beacons.  I really would like your view of it, how you go about running it, and in particular what sort of time you can do.  My best time has been 22:59:xx, which seems very slow for only 55 miles ...

Are you concerned about post UTMB recovery or work commitments in September?

Sorry T Rex I didn't answer this before. I'm concerned about recovery post-UTMB before taking on another Ultra. 10 Peaks Brecon Beacons is only 2 weeks after UTMB. Even if I feel back to normal I know I'd slow to a crawl prematurely. From what you say, is it a navigational challenge? Don't they issue a route description?

27/01/2016 at 13:20

Nick - If Beacons is like the Lakes variant you get a list of peaks and a .gpx of routes. In case of lakes route, even in a generally well-walked area of the world nav errors are easily possible in some areas. Peak-top areas and moorland bits being amongst the areas that caused myself and others issues. Only event I've really had this problem on as most routes in UK and even TDS, UTMB etc usually stick to more defined paths and col's.

In particular I had a nightmare on Great Gable, there were multiple route choices off it west-bound, I chose one to south-west,which appeared to go to a suicidally steep descent, so cut across north to a route a few behind me were following which was slightly safer but slow going loose scree through a channel of jagged rocks. If I'd been organised I would have known the best descent was further north west (still not exactly speedy though). Recceing per a Bob Graham or loads of local knowledge would probably be the only way of completing this event at a swift pace and without issues.

27/01/2016 at 13:26

Oh dear DE. That's putting me off.

27/01/2016 at 17:54

I know the 10peaks route VERY well.

IF anyone  would like to do a recce/s I would be more than happy to oblige .

27/01/2016 at 23:08

BritNick - 10Peaks provide a very clear Harveys 1:40 000 map with the suggested route printed on it.  The trouble sometimes is finding a path on the ground following the route suggested on the map!  In my experience some of the route is simply pathless.  Or is that just me?! 

My favourite event though - the route, the scenery, the ambience at the HQ: all top class.

And of course it is very unlikely to be the same weather as for the Valleys 100!!

27/01/2016 at 23:13

I mean look at the weather at the moment.  Great!

My local river is at the highest level I have ever seen it.

28/01/2016 at 11:30

T Rex / Nick - I'd forgotten the map, that was good and as useful as a map can be, per T Rex though map can't help with all the micro detail in pathless areas.

Wouldn't want to put anybody off, was a good event and great route. Nice day out in the hills. Just need to keep focus on nav and maybe pre-note the map the right routes off summit tops etc... (e.g. what in line of site when using correct route). I wouldn't say it would challenge you Nick as know your good on nav and preparedness.

Weather here is also super, we don't usually get the extremes of the mountain areas of UK or slight-extremes of west, less wind and rain and the paths are usually muddy at worst this time of year, no damaging floods. We often get a cool wind off the river in Hull stabilising the temp and conditions moreso than most of the places in our maritime climate effected Island. After years of running I don't go along with the negative image of the general populous that we have of it always raining in blighty. Currently sunny, slight cloud, normal breeze - this along with more overcast, maybe showers and breezy days is more common than heavy rain in my book. Its a bit more likely to be moodier and rainier in the Wolds (as these often soak up the showers coming towards Hull), but still we rarely get dangerous weather..... though I'm not going to dispute it would be nice to have a few more hot days in summer (just not when I'm running).

Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate.... but I actually crave a few bad weather days when I have a long run planned so I can test my kit and preparedness. Had that for my last 30+ in Dec (strong wind for 4 hrs, then strong wind and heavy rain for another 2) and made the day memorable. Hope to do Chalkland way (40m loop with 4000ft asc) on Monday in Wolds if goes to plan and forecast is wind at present.

Edited: 28/01/2016 at 11:32
29/01/2016 at 15:48

Oops, you took me literally there, DE.  I meant some of wettest weather over here in S Wales than I can remember in 27 years of living here ...

Did people know there is an Ultra Tour of Snowdonia, 58-mile event?  I don't know if it's new this year (10 Sep so clashes with B Beacons)?

30/01/2016 at 00:38
Did leg one of the Bob Graham last week. Christ it's tough going but really enjoyed it. Think I will have to leave my attempt to next year as my tachycardia has returned !
01/02/2016 at 18:28

Dartmoor ultra 31miles yesterday in 6 hrs and.49 mins. Wet and windy but not cold,  that was until I crossed a waist high river    that  did not need to be x'ed 

Edited: 01/02/2016 at 19:32
03/02/2016 at 13:05

T Rex - That would make more sense :~

spen - Is tough and I bet pretty boggy around back of skiddaw/blencathra. Hope you can get the tachy under control.

Oh dear Moks, but aside from that good stuff.

I also had a wind-blasted experience, out on Monday doing the ~40m Chalkland Way N and E Yorkshire. Great when the wind was behind, but start point and shape of course meant plenty of running straight into the wind from Storm BobsYourUncle in the second half whether run clockwise or anti-. Thus I have a few aches from doing that in 8 hrs. Mostly good fun though on a varied 40.7m with 4100ft+ asc/desc.

03/02/2016 at 16:32

DE on tour

great going, 9 extra miles and in 1 hour more, top stuff.  I think I need to get more long hill runs in .

Spen, after reading " Feet in the clouds " I decided that I was never ever going to try the Bob Graham round.

16/02/2016 at 23:45

And after reading 'Running Free' I decided I'm not going to just run around my local fields!

Trying to get back to organised training, but I've had a problem with achilles tendonitis since May 15 and finding it a problem finding shoes that don't aggravate it further.

First ultra this year for me will be Vale of Glamorgan Coastal Ultra (32 miles) on 2 Apr.

03/03/2016 at 07:15

Local fell race last Saturday ( 27th ) met a chap who had run the Bob Graham in 22 hours. Quote " its not as hard as everyone thinks " , that's easy for him to say.

16/03/2016 at 14:41

Hi all.

Moks - Yes I'd agree, those with natural and or trained in speed on the ground at an advantage as may do 24hrs at a canter assuming they navigate (are navigated) well and weather kind.

T Rex - Sounds good to me, I like to strike the compromise that most training local, but vary it and try and make the target events a bit out of area (or country) for interest sake.

I completed my next step up LSR along the Minster Way from York to Beverley Minster last week. With a plod to first minster from the YHA in York I stayed in overnight it came out at 54m. Probably a bit more than official distance even with the 'prologue' taken into account as a few diversions when my path disappeared underneath the river Ouse for prolonged stretches. Quite flat, mildly undulating, except a few miles in middle, quite muddy on some paths, but also good going on many others. Quite a well walked path, even quite well signposted for most part, so no foliage bashing today. Did just over 11 hours so pace not as good as last two months events, but a few valid reasons I think: bad cold a week before and was longer. And certainly felt recovered quicker too; knocking out 6mph+ on a short commute home from work the next day.

All good, so onto the next. And eyeing up a blast at the Wolds Way possibly, though maybe I'll take a few miles off to make starting early morning in dark from my dads house practical - as not having anybody supporting - to finish at a reasonable time in Filey for fish and chips and a lift home Still about 75m+ Did it before in about 19hrs in 2011, so hoping I'm faster than then and more like 16hrs this time.

Edited: 16/03/2016 at 14:44
19/03/2016 at 10:02

DE - I like the sound of your Minster run (apart from the submerged path!). I might have stayed at the same Youth Hostel. It's all a bit extra to get to the start line from there.

When will you do the Wolds Way?

3,001 to 3,020 of 3,065 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.