The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

3,041 to 3,053 of 3,053 messages
26/10/2014 at 19:49
Hows it all going. My injury.nightmare seems to br over. White Rose ultra next week.
GKD
26/10/2014 at 20:22

Good news Spen, still crocked from my last one and no end in sight unfortunately. White Rose is 30 isn't it?

GKD
26/10/2014 at 20:35

How long are you out for GKD?  I read the race report so know it's a long injury.

im doing the 60.

GKD
26/10/2014 at 20:42

Probably another two months realistically, kinda hoped the doctors were wrong and I'd heal quickly but it seems to be the opposite. 

60 looks good, beautiful area to be running if the weather plays ball

GKD
27/10/2014 at 07:31

Does that scupper anything for next year GKD, or will you be able to get up to speed in time - providing re-hab goes according to plan?

GKD
27/10/2014 at 10:57
Hopefully not, it would have killed my Spine plans but I've been given a crown court date I can't get out of anyway so I'll have to wait until 2016 to return.
First race isn't until May so loads of time to get back into things
GKD
24/11/2014 at 14:39

Hi all. Fingers crossed everybody moving along well?

Good to hear your beyond the injury woes now Spen, hope the white rose went well?

Fingers crossed for you GKD, hope your on target to meet that recovery time still.

Just two more marathon+ planned for me now. On Friday hope to complete a self-devised 'Woldsmonster 50' route - my homage to the Woldsman 50, just with lots more hills. Early start in dark, finish in dark. Then most probably the Hardmoors Roseberry topping marathon in December.

24/12/2014 at 12:22

Hope all's well? Guess maybe a queit time of year for the long trail races unless you are signed up to the spine - good luck those who are! Hope to finish my year off with one more LSR early next week. I'm off work so figure I can comfortably fit a 40 or so undulator in there and have a route planned out in Wolds using a fair few paths I've not tried before around east/north Yorks boundary. All powered by a few days off over-eating and drinking

Merry Christmas and happy new year all

24/12/2014 at 13:52

Sounds great DEOT Merry Xmas and new year etc...

baby Spine for me, the next two weeks are dedicated to over indulging and some long walks with a little bit of running.

24/12/2014 at 18:33

The spine for me and am seriously worried!! Have managed a couple of training weekends (short distance big climbs in Knoydart, and a bivy + long hike in the c Cairngorm's, most useful aspect of that being negotiating the Lairig Ghru on my own in the dark!). Did a 15 mile night hike the other day, which was snowy, up on local moors which I managed to practice night navigation, bivy again and a river crossing. Aside from that a couple of 12 mile yomps with pack and ticking over running, no further than 10 miles at a time. So feeling rather under-prepared. Now working on the over-eating, as an quite slight of bid and worried about losing weight!!! So much to worry about ... Why why why? But also rather excited too. Current aim is to stay in one piece.   Long run sounds fun DE

25/12/2014 at 20:27

Have got myself a place in the Thames Ring as a Christmas present to myself!  

06/01/2015 at 15:14

Nice one Ben, I was trying to persuade my OH to buy me a race entry, but obviously didn't pick up on that hint. although got other nice stuff so can't complain

Booktrunk and cragchick, good luck out there. However you do your seriously brave for taking it on in my book. Bit too long in the cold for my liking  

To illustrate my point about me and the cold, I had a lovely run on 30th just over 40 hilly/undulating miles in the wolds. Clear, sunny, freezing (literally). Lovely seeing one side of a dale grassy and slightly bronzed in low sunlight whilst other side unseen be sun for a month and covered in frost and sometimes snow. Enjoyed it, but at a 5mph pace meaning mostly running so generating good heat. Still barely unzipped top of two technical layers all day and had some form of glove or headwear on all day. That's about as cold as is enjoyable for me. I've done colder/longer/slower runs with more layers, but I wouldn't fancy a lot of trekking required with a multi-day like spine. Also like to travel light and I haven't looked but guess the spine kit req means lots of gear?

06/01/2015 at 22:44

I *think* my pack will weigh in about 10kg (it has on my training efforts anyway) but will possibly be more depending on how much I manage to ram into my nosebag on the front!!

Much of the keeping warm will depend on how much food I get down me - case in point being my last training effort which was a night hike up on the local moors in the snow. I set off about 6pm and hadn't eaten dinner yet - aiming to do some night nav and then set up bivy and cook tea in my bivi bag. Cannot describe the almost instant effect of getting 600 cals of hot food + a hot chocolate down me. Went from shivery and tired to toasty warm and raring to go within in minutes. stayed toasty warm for several hours afters when I set off again into the darkness!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3,041 to 3,053 of 3,053 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.