The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

41 to 60 of 3,047 messages
13/07/2010 at 09:36
I Was in TK-Max Sunday treating myself to a bit of everyday wear - There was a pair of Walsh 'fashion runners' I honesstly couldn't make out whether they were fashion only, or retro useable runners? Anyway i opted for a pair of Converse baseball boots much more the job for treadig the carpets at work. Never tried Walsh on the hill -  but can vouch for Inov8 F-lites in the bone dry (Osmo) and also for fast descending on wet rock (Cader Idris race) I'm thinking they'll be what I'm wearing for L-50 rain or shine - They seem to be easier on my Achilles problem. Off to check out Perth 24 hour
13/07/2010 at 12:06

Corn flour -you gonna run on 'em or eat 'em?

13/07/2010 at 12:27
An honest question FR - What happens to the Corn flower when your feet get wet/sweaty? doesn't it turn into some sort of pastry?
seren nos yn canu    pirate
13/07/2010 at 12:53

would think it would turn to some sort of glue.........

going to be nice not to do a long run this weekend

13/07/2010 at 13:11

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/339061/gallery/bear_wellington.jpg?width=301&height=322&mode=max

13/07/2010 at 13:37
Bon appetite FR! - I'm only going to be able to get something half-arsed done before the day, I may go and do something Thursday night that takes me into the dark for a couple of hours - to get used to headtorch etc - something I haven't used since winter mountaineering days.
13/07/2010 at 13:58
I experienced a bit of that in the Osmo FR in daylight - I knew I was bearing wrong across fields heading to wood after Locker Wood Frm ( I figured using landscape features to my left and correcting my self once I'd covered the open easy running ground ) would be as quick as fishing out my map etc - I had a little laugh to myself when I noticed THREE runners were following me into an obvious dead end! It was maps outall round once they realised. Looking back I should have referred to the map - it would have been slightly quicker than hand railing on that kind of ground.
13/07/2010 at 14:08
FR - Not wanting to tempt fate etc - but I'm trying to work out a rough pace for myself for the L50 . Looking at slowest time figures on the L50 site - If I halved them, it gives me 12 hours - I did HP 40 in 8hrs thin comparison I know - but what do you reckon on 12? in reasonable weather
Edited: 13/07/2010 at 14:12
13/07/2010 at 15:28

3hrs 20mins finish then - a star is born! I know you mean 14mm - No worries the ground will be unfamiliar underfoot in running shoes for sure, and you're right Finishing is my No1 goal - but it's nice to have 'something in the back of your mind' I'll run it as I do by how I feel on the day, with no rush for glory at any point. I was probably in good shape to get a sub 6 standing at the last checkpoint a Osmo in 4hr 35min. But there was no way I was going to blow it by being too greedy. 

13/07/2010 at 15:53
Marvellous Mimi you've got some company there then FR
13/07/2010 at 16:44
You can pick up some Corn Flower!
13/07/2010 at 19:01

I'm alternating between excited and petrified.............

I have trained for this one to a certain degree for 2 months.............my last ultra I entered a s a spur of the moment thing 3 days before when someone else dropped out..............so I should finish this one.............but I'm sure I will want to just go to sleep in the middle of the night..........Is having a 10 min catnap at a checkpoint an option????

14/07/2010 at 08:45
thanks FR.........I can see the logic in quick Cp and will aim for that..............but I know sometimes when driving long distances i have to stop and catnap for 10 or 15 mins when i get too tired and this is enough for me to carry on the journey fine..............just might keep that as an option if I find myself dozing off whilst running...
14/07/2010 at 09:50
Agreed on the checkpoint - get clipped get out - soon as. As far as being able to sleep on the hoof or at a check-point??? we are indeed all wired very differently. FR I'm off up to Newcastle on the weekend to a fair well party for my brother who is off to become even richer to Kuala Lumpur. He may treat me to a day's salmon fishing on the Tyne seeing as we've just had some rain. Don't think I'll have the time to 'tickle' a sea trout on the Kent during the 50. You have me intrigued now I'll have to have a look at that river.
15/07/2010 at 11:43
My you're lively this morningFR! - I'm out tonight for a date with some Owls,bats,etc
15/07/2010 at 14:14
Fellrunner wrote (see)

For my part I simply check in Grab some food and away, unless there are some pressing issues to address  then in and out in a minute or two and in my case on the 100 with 14 CPs even taking a minute at each is going to cost me 14 mins on my race time, ( note to self must waste less time @  CPs).

Having said that I know folk that do stop and even catnap, so as always you need to find what works for you.

must say i enjoy my time at checkpoints on longer runs. time to enjoy the grub they've laid on and make the people manning it feel like its worthwhile.

the best one is at the ldwa kipling kaper..me and sp sat down at the huge hall table with the walkers and tucked into the biggest feast ever..yum

like you today fr..i was out in my first proper summer thunderstorm and downpour for ages..the road was 2.5ft flooded in one place..great for splogding through..and overtaking cars that were scared of getting their wheels wet!

16/07/2010 at 04:31
all being well me and my sidekick will be leaving this time tomorrow to trot the ambleside to coniston leg
16/07/2010 at 10:33
Owls and bats were safely tucked in and away from the very interesting weather last night. 5hrs 35mins - 3 hours in driving rain - then the wind picked up big time for the last 2 and half hours. Reduced to a leaning walk on the very tops. Dot wasn't to sure about it and erged me on back to the car. Got in 2.30am to wife who's not that impressed. Still, that's the last prep run in the bag. A weekend's Sea Trout fishing in the North East for me and lashings of fine wine - can't help thinking I should be on a recce though!
16/07/2010 at 10:37
nice work sz and dot..could be choppy out there...the north sea can be very unforgiving
16/07/2010 at 11:08
CD You know, when you're in the neighbourhood drop in and say hi!
41 to 60 of 3,047 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.