The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

101 to 120 of 3,029 messages
26/07/2010 at 10:44
Very well done all. Sounds great !!
26/07/2010 at 16:13

Hi all.

FR - Sorry to hear you decided to retire. I can imagine the frustration of the errors and the scree run forcing you into that position. After all your prep sounded excellent.

CD - You've seen my comments on L50 forum, thats a great last section, I was 2:42 for that, in my own parallel dimension of speed . I also started dozing off on my feet after the inital climb, could have been the cocadamol a 50 competitor kindly gave me when I'd arrived at Tilberthwaite, quite emotional as I thought even if I got up the hill the final descent would be near impossible in my current state in 3 hours. Dulled the pain a bit so maybe that let tiredness kick in. A gel before the descent woke me a bit, but it was painful as I imagined. Next time.... more ibuprofen.

As others have said, great event, lots of highs and lows. Many times I feared I woukld drop out, but trying to remedy problems mostly due to feet I'd be given another lease of life. Post Ambleside I just gritted it out in a way I wasn't sure I could for 9hrs - a series of section I should have done in half that. It felt like two races to me, some of the first half seems like a strange, vivid dream! It was novel to be overtaken by the 50 race leaders after Dalemain and then several of the regular forumites and some great efforts and times out there.

My reward was 2/3 can of guiness (cheers Clairster) and after a sleep, an early evening meal in that Sun Hotel in Coniston (pricey - as per Coniston as a whole - but good freshly prepared grub) with Britnick and MarkD. Oh and 2 x cans scrumpy, 1xBluebird and one of the Langdale Brewery beers. Afterall I did lose 2.5 lb during event.

Again? Not sure, may try 50 next year. But I am planning on doing another 100. The hill conquering, endurance motivated, can do, outdoors-man part of me is immensely satisfied. The competitive devil whispering in my ear wants to conquer the 100 upto my own level of potential.

Edited: 26/07/2010 at 16:14
26/07/2010 at 16:45
DE - already talking more 100's - brilliant. That last section took me 1hr 24m but for my own pride's sake, I did have to correct a stupid error which got me lost up there - I lost at least 15mins correcting it. I need to work out what I'm going to do with my failing detail sight on the hill - a better torch is a must, and some system of glasses/magnifying glass which works when it's pissing down - Also DE 2.5lb loss over 100m is great - According to the organisers I lost 3.5kg - 7.7lbs over 50!
26/07/2010 at 17:06

SZ - 7.7lb No wonder you were so fast at the end Where did you go up there? right across stream or left to ???? I'm glad that I hit this section in light, reckon it could be tricky, navigationally, in dark.

I'm glad I did the recces for some of the sections. Though I thought the roadbook was pretty good and didn't put more than a few steps wrong anywhere.

Next 100 would probably be the LDWA one next year. But then UTMB is only a ballot pick away if I chose to have a go

Now I just need to sort feet prior to Long Tour of Bradwell. Legs and such no stiffer than post-fellsman really. I plan to do pretty much no running till August now.

26/07/2010 at 17:22
well that gives you roughly 5 days rest then de
26/07/2010 at 20:33
seems about right I'll play it by ear
27/07/2010 at 05:22

ive decided to do more training up there if i can..though perhaps not my early morning midweek runs

the hills however nice down here in the peaks are simply not big enough to prepare you for the onslaught like that one

fr - glad you're in good spirits but have a day off..it'll do you good

27/07/2010 at 10:10

DE - turned left at the obvious stream crossing (Thinking wrongly that this was a false direction) and continued up the left hand bank of crook beck and crossed by a lone tree onto a feint path - problem was the path remained feint until I was standing in no man's land. It took me a bit to sort out and dissect the correct path a bit further on. No complaints though, now it's reccied I'm confident I could knock hole in my 12hr 53min. I tend to drop weight up to 6lbs even on a short 22m hill traing run. Must have taken 7 or 8 litres of fluid on board and ate fairly well throughout.

Looking forward to reading about the scree section on DE's Blog FR. Back problem sounds a bugger and you did right looking after it. 

27/07/2010 at 12:48

Feet are now cleaned up, blisters covered, most cuts/small sore rubbing spots left just  to breath and heal. Most of the blisters had to be squeezed, I reckon i could have filled a shot glass with all the greeny gunk  Which means walking is now slightly faster. Feet were also quite swollen and not comfortable in shoes till today.

FR - 30 hours is quite a target. Knowing the hills would certainly help and running them day in/out to develop the strength and resistance to damage. Get in the miles and I reckon it would be doable for most of us on here. Hope you can get the trap nerve sorted, those begars can be persistant.

SZ - Yes the path did stop and start a bit. Obvious enough in day but at night I can imagine tricky.

There were a few bits like this first night. Off blacksail pass I completly lost the trail so found it again by heading for the stream, river, we would cross further down. Then there were loads of people who missed the path heading through a wall in the next descent to Buttermere. I could see all these headlights way down below running along the valley bottom. Not sure if it was runnable down there or not, but the path we were on was rocky, bouldery, loose stone, HELL, right up there with the descent following the climb from Mardale Head.

27/07/2010 at 13:49

told you fr...best place in the country

saw a house for sale on drive out at near water yeat..got the details

my goal is simply to enjoy and complete it...that will be one hell of an achievement for me i can tell you

and like you fr..i will be in the lakes more..but not quite as much. in fact not nearly as much...unless....

27/07/2010 at 16:07

Well, with all respect to the Lakes I live within 40 mins of some decent hills which are  Snowdonia - but I'd never say no to fresh Lakeland Perch smoked on a splayed stick over an open fire. Having done the 50 comfortably, I'm obviously fancying the 100. But there's still the Paddy Buckley in my mind. However I must put running even further back in my priority order at the moment - I have a big mountain to climb over the coming months in terms of a career continuation elsewhere, or maybe a change of career altogether - either isn't going to be easy to find in this current climate. Having said that, witnessing the resolve, tenacity and determination of some of my fellow competitors last weekend gives me hope that things that seem out of reach and all possibility can be reached.

FR Nothing you can do to prevent such an injury, just a bit of bad luck. Within 19miles I stubbed my toe, twice left and right within 5 meters of each other on the lakeside path of Haweswater. The first time, if I'd gone down (Which I nearly did) I'd have face planted into the rocks and surely would have been out of the game before 20m. By the way I ran it in Inov-8 X-Talon f-lites, (212 grms) and £1.00 tesco standard ankle socks. To be honest, apart from not much toe protection they were brilliant. My feet are flawless. 

28/07/2010 at 08:28

mo farah made it look sooooooooo easy

im a big fan of jessica e too...for obvious reasons

28/07/2010 at 12:12

think eagles dare is bob on timing / distance fr..ahead of hp40

28/07/2010 at 12:16

just about to enter and read this...

'Dogs welcome with owners under control'

28/07/2010 at 14:37

entry in..thanks for that fr

yes..you;re name isnt on the list yet

ive asked for a route description but if you have an e-mailable one could you send it to me by any chance? cheers

28/07/2010 at 15:05

cool

29/07/2010 at 10:20
LDWA Where Beagles Fly - fancied that for me and Dot - however I'm committed to an event in Ireland on the same weekend involving a canoe and gallons of Guinness
29/07/2010 at 15:29

this my mate doing the Liffey Descent in 08

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/339061/gallery/cheets-liffey.jpg?width=350&height=185&mode=max

he's short of a crew member so a different type of descent will be fun!

29/07/2010 at 15:46
you rock
seren nos    pirate
29/07/2010 at 16:26
I have been looking at Pulmunon..has anyone done it and got any advise................I'm thinking of doing it with Mmy OH and my 15 year old son...............for a day out....they may be faster than me but hopefully the distance should be on my side
101 to 120 of 3,029 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.