The SNOD ultra runnig thread

The Idle Banter non specific race ultra thread

161 to 180 of 2,987 messages
19/08/2010 at 23:22
OK, let's get back to ultras instead of piffling 5Ks.  My next big one - a week Saturday, Ridgeway 85, about 9000'.  Nothing too gnarly: Chiltern Hills, North Wessex Downs, all AONBs.  Don't know if any of you guys are considering it?
20/08/2010 at 07:56
i've looked at it t rex but not knowing the area i couldn't decide and the logistics didnt seem great ie point to point..i dont have retrival support..hope your feet are good for then though
20/08/2010 at 20:08

Yes, if you drive to this one logistics are difficult.  I take the train - organisers pick runners up from nearest railway station (Tring) and take them to the start, and then to Swindon station at the end.  But on this course you'd probably think, "These are funny little hills".

Feet will be fine.  The bad foot only feels now like when the sole of your shoe is worn out and you can feel the ground.  Kind of feels thin on that area.

20/08/2010 at 21:30

Thanks, Fellrunner.  There is a difficult trade off between getting a roomy enough shoe so that toes/nails aren't getting battered, but not so roomy that they slip about.  I think on the 60-miler last week I did in fact lace my shoes up loose, for comfort, which was clearly a mistake.

I'm thinking of getting hold of the shoes I think you use - NB870 series - latest is 876.  Can they be used straight out of the box OK?  And are NB sizes fairly standard?

20/08/2010 at 21:32
I haven't found an offroad shoe that I''ve really got on with yet, but I'm going to keep trying.
21/08/2010 at 01:32

I reckon its not about finding the perfect shoe. But once your legs/feet/muscles/skin adapt to the strain most trail shoes will work for you.

I've got some good ideas fo future runs, the layoff seems to have helped me remove the wheat from the chaff. The 5 day C2C is on - anything less would not be enjoyable - but I'm also thinking outside the box for more unusual non-organised challenges.

21/08/2010 at 06:25
5 day c2c de..get in!  i have thought about it but for now i'll keep the memories as they are..but never say never..besides id have to take it seriously..less beer etc en route! i take it you're doing wainwrights and not the organised one?
21/08/2010 at 21:42
Hi CD, yes Wainwrights 190m route. Seems to break down nicely into 5 chunks with overnight stops in sizable settlements. The plan is very high level right now. So much to consider (as you no doubt know); booking accom, what to carry (food, drink, all-weather gear, comfy evening gear) etc.... Any advice, reading tips. gratefully received.
21/08/2010 at 22:16
Good links FR, I've heard about, read about some of these routes, but its useful to have these links. And I agree there are far too many challenges out there to do them all, enough in Yorkshire yto keep me going for a decade with the 2000footer rounds or the whole yorkshire rounds.
22/08/2010 at 06:46

de..i can give you a suggested 5 day plan if you like but you might want to do your own

we used sherpa to shift stuff and book accomodation..again depends on what you want and budgets

our pubs in bampton, kirby, reeth and glaisdale were bang on

one problem you might need to deal with given you'll have 40m a day are breakfast times. most places seem to think only get up at 8.30!!! so i spent most morning lying in bed twiddling my thumbs waiting..sure that could be sorted though

as you'll have read too..your route / plan can take you past shops/cafes/pubs where you can restock your days stuff

its all flooding back

FR - totally. i was out in the goyt valley yesterday opening up bits unknown to me as i went along. brilliant. BUT it did make me realise that some events have served their purpose and im not of a mind to focus on times anymore (unless its a good one) which questions why i entered the hp40..i could make up 40 miles around the area that would be a way better route with the only tarmac being the occasional road crossing..hmmm

23/08/2010 at 10:26

and saying double

its age

its age

23/08/2010 at 11:06

after my goyt outing on saturday..someone said 'come on then how many miles today??' as though im some kind of nutter..i just said 'how many would you like it to be?'

people just dont get it and if they dont (most people) then why converse about it!

nice..add a mile for me

yes its down here..cloud over the cloud and just the very top of shutlingsloe visible..and they are mere little mounds compared to your ones fr

23/08/2010 at 15:36

Ta CD, I have the foundations for my 4 stops in mind, just going to look into organising a place there, schedule. I'll make sure I ask the question on the breakfast times. Re. Sherpa, is this an organised thing or a "tongue-in-cheek" ref to a mate/family member? TBH I was hoping to carry nearly everything needed and survive on minimum gear, maybe use old tops and bin along the way. Maybe as I get to midway or past I'll get a gear re-stock from friends in Yorks (don't really know anybody tuther side). To keep it light, as you suggested I'd use as much bought food as I could, carry a good supply of powder for mixing energy drinks.

FR - I agree, I enjoy the idea of organising, navigating.....

Edited: 23/08/2010 at 15:36
24/08/2010 at 06:17
sounds like fun fr..though have to agree with you..i prefer the lakes moody than blazened in sun..maybe thats just my miserable personality
24/08/2010 at 08:18
wordsworth could not have penned it better (except for your very last sentence!)
24/08/2010 at 09:27

http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/images/beerlogos/badge_12_small.gif

now we're talking..beautiful stuff (tho not for thou fr)

25/08/2010 at 09:57
bloody 'ell fr..sounds like eu beauracrat fairies visited you in your sleep last night. km's are for girl races only
25/08/2010 at 10:55

'a litre of ale please bartender'

doesn't quite sound right

25/08/2010 at 12:24

I like the idea of saying to Johnny foriegner "yes is was 100miles, thats 160 of your (inferior) kilometres " . Feet all the way for me. Though I like those big litre beer glasses you sometimes get in Europe.... and usually what's in them. I'm just a confused child of the 80's and 90's who was taught bits of both and left to decide what was useful.

CD - What brought you to a greenhouse in Broomfleet in the dim and distant past then? I'll slow down next time I go past there

25/08/2010 at 12:28

insightful pov de

a party..i took it to the extreme..among the tomato plants of all things!!!!

161 to 180 of 2,987 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.