The Spine

601 to 605 of 605 messages
06/07/2014 at 16:31
GKD: I'm either not going to sleep t ll or I'll be able to sleep on my back.

Going to have to give them consideration as it's so big a difference in the physical size of the pack

Re the hokas, still getting used to em only had them a couple of weeks. But, realistically they are barely that much taller than my shoes that had a reasonable amount of support anyway, after all the hype about them I was very much, oh is that it.... I find the fuss is overblown, wear 4-6"heels whilst pissed at a party.... Makes hokas seem very flat
Edited: 06/07/2014 at 16:33
GKD
06/07/2014 at 17:53
BT if you're not going to sleep or you sleep on your back why not just go for a cheap yoga or foam mat? Cheap as chips weighs almost nothing?
As for the hokas it's personal choice, I can't imagine you walking the pennines in heels but the only person I saw in hokas this year literally binned them at the end of the race saying he'd never wear them again
GKD
06/07/2014 at 20:46

Two potential problems with Hokas: They are wide and can twist your feet on frozen churned up mud. Secondly how well do they grip on ice?

Somehow I doubt we will get the same conditions as in 2014 where soft bog was good for Hokas. 

Anyone just reading the 2014 blogs will have got only one version of the race. Compared with 2013 ,2014 was tropical ! It never got cold or really windy

. To some extent you need to save your final Kit choices until the last moment. I suspect that some of the 2014 Challanger finishers could be in for a shock if we get snow and ice like the first two years.

If you do go for Hokas then put a pair of conventional shoes in your drop bag.

06/07/2014 at 20:50

Ian: yup in the post on the previous page I said I also have salmons and am playing with both. 

06/07/2014 at 22:51

good point re the side-lying - that's me!

I have very mobile ankles anyway and 'clown-type' shoes do me no favours because of that - the rolling and tripping.  Not sure re shoes but will be starting some experimenting.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
601 to 605 of 605 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.