The Spine

621 to 628 of 628 messages
19/08/2014 at 11:32

Hello Ian Thanks for your Guide it's great.

19/08/2014 at 18:04

Read the guide about kit, wandering what others are considering as footwear choices?

19/08/2014 at 19:23

Stu Westfield got runners to do a quick survey their footwear see the results. 

http://stuwestfield.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/010-spine-race-footwear-survey-findings.html

i know we don't all want to be sheep and all do the same thing but it makes for interesting reading.

some seem to be considering boots as an option considering how little some will actually run, can of course swap as appropriate for each section, at the checkpoints. 

I got myself some speedcross 3's seem comfy, but still not convinced about them and the dreaded slabs if covered in ice. 

The more I think about it the less I think i'll be running.  

Edited: 19/08/2014 at 19:31
20/08/2014 at 08:15

Thanks that's quite interesting.  I currently run in la sportivva so may stick with what I know.  Like the look of the crossover version as a balance between trainer and boot/gaiter.

20/08/2014 at 21:59

I use Speedcross for shorter events but as I am heavy footed I find they don,t have enough Cushioning for the Spine. Hence my use of XT Wings. The soles of your feet are going to take a real pounding. Any feel the ground fell type shoe will probably be to thin. 

Using two pairs of insoles and two pairs of sox helps. 

Whatever you choose they must be a shoe that never gives you blisters. This should be your highest priority. The grip on the sole is also a consideration . If you use Solomons then go for ones with" Contragrip" soles. I found this type great on wet slabs , ice , mud and stones.

Avoid any shoes designed by race winners which are even  lighter than last years model. You want a Ford Focus on your feet not a Ferrari!

21/08/2014 at 08:11

I was hoping for a pair of Land Rover defenders, strap one to each foot 

21/08/2014 at 11:13

Good Plan!

26/08/2014 at 22:32

Shoes is my biggest worry ... but autumn starting to kick in so soon have some nice snowmelt filled rivers to cross and icy paths to slither around on and practice.  Good point re the fell-running light stuff. I know for sure I am not going to be running much - just being realistic, far from defeatist!!  In fact, this is a great comfort because after bashing my knees in running far more of the Great Glen Ultra than I ever thought I could, I can at least walk without knee pain ... so it's going to be all about run/walk/jog crawl from hereonin anyway!!  About to print off your blog Ian in it's entirety as I really do need to remove head from sand and start doing something

Actually, just reminds me, bl00dy garmin - hubby bought me an Etrex 30 for my bday, the other day I foolishly uploaded a software update, and what do you know, it's now lost all it's software (according to the message on the screen) ... have they come back to me? No the have not!! Sigh, more chasing required ...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
621 to 628 of 628 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.