The Spine

641 to 653 of 653 messages
18/09/2014 at 15:04

Hi - just realised I started this thread back in 2011! The first few pages make interesting reading 

Good luck to everyone taking this on this year. Do not underestimate it! Just get out in them hills as much as you can!

Still undecided as to what I'm doing in Jan 2015??!!

18/09/2014 at 15:40

Rich1: It's funny because you called it the challenger, when it looks like it was called the "open" in the first  year, and it is now called the Challenger!! Did you get to name it?

18/09/2014 at 15:41

Who knows - seems a long time ago!

18/09/2014 at 16:09

From memory, there were 2 separate classes the 1st yr with differing time limits and differing access to drop bags, plus the Challenger - I think I was just getting muddled in that post 

18/09/2014 at 16:19

Rich1: it was a long time ago

Very excited n nervous looking forward to the Challenger in January.

18/09/2014 at 23:10

hopefully a late start to training wont hurt, had a Achilles injury from July but have ran Helvellyn and Blencathra over the last week.  Tried out the new Osprey Talon 33 and that went well.  Not waterproof I expect so will be using dry bags.  powered walked up with a pole and ran flats and downs.

Andy - Gps.  I have tried this on a budget.  Used a Etrex venture HC, found it was only good for Geocaching so resold it only a few days later.  Showed towns and main roads only.

This week I used an Etrex 20.  good gadget for a budget.  Showed position fairly accurate when matched to a paper map and showed paths.  Could be better with OS maps downloaded perhaps.  Would do a job but not the best.

The Garmin etrex 30 looks the best value with better options and mapping.  Not tried it yet but does come up on this thread a few times.  Cab get from £90 to £140 on Ebay.  I think Ill end up with that unless I can save more.  It does seam you get what you pay for with these things.  Plenty out there better such as Oragon 600 etc but at a cost and watch for paying additional for maps.  (I am old Skool with paper maps though)

Nick

19/09/2014 at 19:15

I got the gpsmap 64s didn't really get on with it for a while then it clicked about changing the default screen to show off course and load routes onto it and now in that  format I love it. 

Just fantastic for a quick check I am pretty I was right going left back there.... A quick glance just to see if it says I'm roughly on course or going further away, it's useful for quick checking like that.

Paid the last of my Challenger entry fee today, that's it, no turning back, barring shit happening I'll be standing on the start line shivering, not sure if it will be from cold or nerves  

Edited: 19/09/2014 at 19:15
20/09/2014 at 02:17

60 hours to do 108 miles? I thought it was supposed to be a challenge?

20/09/2014 at 08:21

Enter it then.......

I have done 40 miles on the flat in 5:30. The first 43 miles of the Spine have taken me 14:30, 12:30, 13:30 respectively in the last 3 yrs. And that's near the front. In 2012, it took us nearly 44hrs for the first 108 miles and we were second in. Distance, terrain, weather, time of year, 15hr of dark, difficult navigation, full winter kit etc

Most events are against yourself not the clock....but The Spine is both. Try it......

an
20/09/2014 at 12:43

And for some more context: this year the Challenger was won by Marcus Scotney (GB & England runner, 2nd in this year's Lakeland 50) in 29 hours. Elite runners can do it with lightweight kit in a single push. Most entrants will be carrying 8+kg of kit and will probably need to stop and sleep at some point. So 60 hours is not as generous as it might first appear.

an
20/09/2014 at 15:30

Wow, got an idea of what the event is about.  Took my step son and went to walk across Bleaklow last night.  Pitch black, no light not even a star to glow.  Thick fog and visibility down to about 3 metres.  Made nav very interesting but just about managable with map, compass and GPS but very difficult. On pennine way could cover reasonable pace, once paths were vague, slowed right down., really right down. We went across the moor and by midnight decided enough and pitched the tents.  Can't imagine how eiry this will be alone and tired during the race.  Coming back we could check the route this morning and some very difficult sections were just difficult because we couldn't see the right path a mere metre away.

Today at 07:37

Got a 2.5 day adventure planned in in knoydart in a couple of weekend time ... Never been there before but just over two hours away. So solo trip with wild camping testing rucsac, shoes, navigation and reminding myself how my tent pitches ... And I'll be going whatever the weather seeing as the childcare is booked! Feeling excited

Today at 09:19
Rich1 wrote (see)

Enter it then.......

Try it......

I would, but it clashes with my touch football that weekend Im afraid.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
641 to 653 of 653 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.