The Spine

681 to 690 of 690 messages
GKD
17/10/2014 at 19:41

You still have nearly three months. Keep testing.

GKD
19/10/2014 at 21:14

I picked up some Salomon lightweight boots last week, seem really light and so far comfortable - time will tell of course!! Also just about to order waterproof socks - memories of days and days in jungle of South American jungle (a very very long time ago!!) came pouring back to me, and the glorious trench foot that ensued (along with clothes that went mouldy due to heat/humidity etc) so yes, definitely aiming to keep feet as dry and in once piece as possible. Not least because once you get blisters you end up walking funny too - and we are not going to need any more excuses to walk funny than we already have!

So now I'm at the whole tent/bivi thing ... have a Wild Country Laser comp 1 (I think - we got it cheap about five years ago for use on mountain marathons). I used it in Knoydart the other weekend - whilst it's seriously light, it's an absolute bugger to put up (ha bloody ha to sites that state it should go up in 5 minutes!!). However it's light, and I already own it ... was looking at the Rab Ridge Raider - Go Outdoors currently doing it for £179 ... hmmm ... or stick with tent and get a straightforward bivvi bag for accompaniment.  If I stuck with what I have then I could get myself a Jetboil and a normal bivi bag for the money with change to spare!!

20/10/2014 at 12:35

Which Salomon boots did you go for cc?

Tricky isn't it? There's stuff you need & then stuff you might need if it is blizzards / torrential rain etc etc

The whole tent v bivi and walk boots v run shoes is of concern because if you know you won't be at the pointy end of the field (in my case) there is a question over what comforts are needed.

20/10/2014 at 19:04

just went for a walk in rocky conditions today, and salomon sc3's felt lethal. Think I'm going to take a plunge on a pair of boots, either inov8 286 or salomon pro xa mid. 

Edited: 20/10/2014 at 19:04
20/10/2014 at 23:24

I got a pair of Salomon Ellipse Mid LTR Gtx hiking boots ...

Booktrunk - yep, that was my experience totally. First I thought it was just bad luck but after literally skidding along on one knee when a foot went beneath me; hanging on for grim death on a scrambling bit on the Munro I was topping out on; and then finally, slipping off wet rocks while crossing a river - ENOUGH!!  My Mudrocs are way more reliable than that.

Circlip - I'm definitely not going to be at the pointy end of this race - just to be at the end having travelled the whole way on foot will be my aim

Think I am resolved to stick with the tent and just purchase a straightforward bivi bag - however I may engineer a trip to GO in Inverness and just take a look at the hooped bivi - tbh, the hooped bivi's are only marginally lighter than the tent - I just need to get better at pitching it!!

GKD
20/10/2014 at 23:31

I know it's one of the things that comes up again and again CC but for me you're far better off with a tent, more room to sort yourself out in, to cook and re pack kit etc. But you need to get used to pitching it in all kinds of weather. But you know all this anyway.

For me the best part of having the tent was the feeling of comfort when you get in, the feeling that you know have this safe little world aside from the chaos outside. That mental life could be hugely important

GKD
21/10/2014 at 00:28

As ever gkd, spot on, and particularly the bit about the safe little world away from the chaos ... Even when it's badly pitched it works so practise will make perfect ...

22/10/2014 at 13:37
Be good to hear the results from the latest shoe/boot trials.

I am sticking with a cheap but light tent, done a lot of camping and I think a good night sleep will improve your time better than most kit upgrades. I agree, I don't think a bivvi alone with give you enough mental comfort to sleep well.
an
22/10/2014 at 13:53

I've happily slept, cooked & organised gear in a hooped bivvy in bad weather in the middle of nowhere on many occasions. It probably helps that I'm short and bendy though.

I'd agree that if you're not used to bivvying and already have a lightweight tent it's probably best'/safest to stick with it (and practise putting it up quickly in the dark in bad weather).

an
23/10/2014 at 23:12

Yes, am going for that option An - won't be long before the next storm hits here I'm sure so will be out there, and also not long before daylight virtually disappears too,, until March!

I am also short and bendy though

Injinji wool liners arrived today - clearly we are all supposed to have long toes that are all the same length!! Hoping some shrinkage in wash will aid - that said, very toasty, have been wearing with my walking boots all evening around the house (as you do when you are packing boxes to move house )

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
681 to 690 of 690 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.