The Spine

701 to 709 of 709 messages
08/11/2014 at 13:36

gettting the briefing email was good, makes it all seem very real now, really have to up my time on my feet. 

09/11/2014 at 23:41

Me too book trunk, me too!!

13/11/2014 at 21:35

Don,t get over hung up on kit. No matter what you read on "essential Spine Kit " its only as good as your ability to use it.

Re the boots V trainers+waterproof sox thing.  It comes down to comfort and grip. 

My Salomon Sky boots kept my feet dry this year but for some reason the left boot bruised my foot so I abandoned them after day one. 

Think of kit choice in the same way as you think of layering. Don,t put all your eggs in one basket. In many ways one of the main kit problems is the limit of 20Kg for your drop bag. You will need different kit combinations for each phase of the race.

15/11/2014 at 17:58

Post Spine short recovery run?

http://mudcrew.co.uk/event/arc-attrition/

One way or another I should be there even if as race support driver.

GKD
15/11/2014 at 18:51

Liked the look of that but the price and restrictions put me off, £120 entry fee plus another 25 for compulsory gps, you must have someone available to drive you from the event HQ at the end.

GKD
20/11/2014 at 21:39
Hi all. I have now tried some sealskinz socks and confirm they are damp proof, improvement on normal but still had wet feet.

Does anyone know if the omm 1 bag is suitable for this run (would use a liner and bivvy bag with it anyway).

Thanks
20/11/2014 at 22:00

Pretty sure the answer is no. It's not got an official rating and I think it's been asked and answered as no on the facebook group. 

24/11/2014 at 18:43

Don,t skimp on the warm sleeping issue. This is not an ordinary ultra. Chances are you will really  need to use your bag to get a good nights sleep. If you can,t sleep due to the cold you are stuffed! 

There is far too much chat about reducing the weight you carry. Dropped into Mountain Warehouse today and noted you could get a -5c comfort,-15c extreme bag and a 4 season sleeping mat for about £35! Ok its all bulky but it will keep you way warmer than a £300 down bag and a small sheet of thin bubble wrap.(which is the way some folks are planning). 

Looking back on 2014 I started with a 6.5 Kg pack plus water but in retrospect if I had carried an extra 1 Kg of food each time I left a CP I recon I could have cut about 5 hrs off my finishing time. A heavier pack would have made me faster!

Up hill fast speed is reduced by a heavy pack . You will be moving so slow up hill on the Spine that extra weight is not an issue. Much of the trail is fairly level which again reduces the effects of weight saving. 

For every Kg below 6.5 Kg you get your pack you greatly increase your chances of a DNF.

Finally It will be the weak before the start that dictates my final kit choices when I will have a better idea of the forecast.

Today at 00:46

Today's goodies, 2 pairs of liner gloves, 2 neck warmers, 1 balaclava, and 2 very snuggly merino wool hats. nearly ready... Reckon I should start training soon, now I've got enough bits.

PS: yes that is a joke, I started last week 

So you can now guarantee it's going to be toasty warm  

Edited: 28/11/2014 at 00:47

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
701 to 709 of 709 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.