The Spine

741 to 747 of 747 messages
an
12/12/2014 at 23:48

Short answer: As of this year's race, the rules forbid sleeping at B&Bs. The first 2 checkpoints are crowded and noisy, so sleeping well there is hard, and the second stage is too long for most people to do in a single push.

Long answer: read Ian's excellent blog!

an
13/12/2014 at 07:20

Mr I

CP 1 to CP2 is 65 long dark hilly HARD miles well over 24 hrs. You can,t do this race on a 24 hour clock cycle and make the cut offs so you have to make your own CP,s

14/12/2014 at 02:38
ian bowles 2 wrote (see)

Mr I

CP 1 to CP2 is 65 long dark hilly HARD miles well over 24 hrs. You can,t do this race on a 24 hour clock cycle and make the cut offs so you have to make your own CP,s

Well apparently I have more faith in Booktrunk than you

14/12/2014 at 09:56

Oyyyy don't get me involved with your willy waving Mr I.

i'm slow as shit and going to be tail end Charlie on the Challenger!! Also have a snuggly warm sleeping bag (well would be snuggly warm in the summer.... On the spine might be not quite so toasty warm. 

15/12/2014 at 10:44

Willy waving above 200m in the pennines in january can lead to a particularly nasty form of FROSTBIGHT!

15/12/2014 at 11:24

are you allowed to use Greg's hut for sleeping, or the other bothy's on the route (lamb hill)?

15/12/2014 at 15:09

The answer is Gregs Hut  yes . Don,t know about lamb hill(if it is open). Gregs Hut can be noisy and crowded. Usually several Medics ,  John Bamber and a rescue team.. Everyone arriving at the hut tends to blow off steam with the relief of having survived  Cross Fell., So not a very calm place to rest. The good news is that it is seriously warm as John has made it a tradition to lug a large bag of coal to the hut for use during the event.

Glowing stove ,hot noodles and good company make it a difficult place to leave.

Edited: 15/12/2014 at 15:48

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
741 to 747 of 747 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.