The Spine

101 to 120 of 709 messages
PSC    pirate
30/01/2013 at 07:20

Rich, great blog. 

I keep getting drawn back to this thread, not because I could even think about entering, but there is some wierd fascination with you peeps that have completed this (whether in full or part) - it's got to be one of the most bonkers events out there, but I simply love the Pennine Way.  For the moment though I am going to stick to LDWA!!!!

01/02/2013 at 23:51

Entries for 2014 open tomorrow 2nd feb.

Its make your mind up time. This race is more  about mental toughness and your ability to look after yourself in severe mountain conditions than just the distance . If you do enter one thing  I will say is that even if you don,t make it to the finish, you will be changed forever!

GKD
01/02/2013 at 23:58
Ssssshhhhh Ian, don't remind them until after 9 tomorrow, there's only 57 places available
GKD
02/02/2013 at 00:08
So u r doing it then LI
GKD
02/02/2013 at 00:09
Might do
GKD
02/02/2013 at 01:10
Ah go on. We can't let this lot have all the fun
GKD
02/02/2013 at 09:30
Well I'm in, little aggrieved that they're increased the price quite a bit this year without mentioning it before the entries went live and are now charging ??100 for the training day when it was previously included in the price
GKD
02/02/2013 at 18:17

Get in there 

02/02/2013 at 18:49

Welcome on board Lirish. You won,t regret it!

Re the price: At first glance it does look expensive but the costs of running a race over this distance and the logistics of potentially having runners perhaps 50 miles appart must be huge .Add to that a mobile A&E team  a mountain rescue team , 6 bunk houses/youth hostels/village halls and you will get to appreciate why it costs that much.

During the race you will soon learn how much the team really cares about each and every runner. It hurts them each time someone drops out. As a runner you will get to know and  trust them  utterly. To finish this race you need that confidence. Scott  and the team will deliver for you!

GKD
02/02/2013 at 19:27
I'm sure it'll be worth it Ian and I've been helping out at ultras long enough to have some idea of what goes into them, it was just that I'd justified a certain expense to both myself and my wife and to find out it was going to be a couple of hundred quid dearer hurt a bit.
That said its. Really good feeling to be properly scared about a race
GKD
02/02/2013 at 20:39

I know what you mean about  feeling scared. It does add something to the anticipation. One  odd thing about the Spine is that because it is so darn long you do get the time to really enjoy the race.  Apart from a short spell of about 3hrs on day one where I nearly blew the whole thing I think it was the most natural running experience I have ever had. Strangely it never really hurt. Perhaps thats because I had never entered a race before with such a low expectation of finishing. I never put pressure on myself and that felt good. 

The therapists in Totnes would probably say I was a Wooly Mammoth hunter in my previous life!

Still working on my account of the race. Its mostly about what was going on in my head. Its my head that got me to the finish line, my body just got with the programme and tagged along. 

seren nos    pirate
02/02/2013 at 21:18

great report Rich..and ian some useful info..........not that i would ever contemplate this race but it sounds amazing

good luck Lirish for next year.looking forward to your report

07/02/2013 at 14:44

I have entered The Spine for next year - terrified but excited at the same time if that makes sense? Its going to be an extremely tough challenge.

07/02/2013 at 18:38

Welcome on board Mimi.

Still working on my race diary. Its seriously long but then so was the race. I learnt so much during the 7 days. Much of my ideas of what to expect were totally different to the reality of the Spine. 

07/02/2013 at 23:11
I dunno LI what u r going to find more scarey: the cost of the race or the wife when she realises how much she is going to have to stay up for!
12/02/2013 at 21:54

Jez Bragg has entered The Spine!

GKD
12/02/2013 at 22:16
Saw that earlier, there's quite an impressive line up forming
GKD
13/02/2013 at 11:32

At this moment at time I am going to enter the challenger in 2015.  Gives me plenty of time to recce the route, get some orienterring experience (Take my young daughters to that too), get in the mountains etc and sort kit out.   Anything else?

GKD
16/02/2013 at 21:27
I've just gotten my set of Harvey's maps for the entire route. Three full size maps. Just looking over them is already giving me an idea of how tough it's going to be, eyes some really tough ground to cover.
Which brings me to a question for Ian or Rich, I know at times of low visibility or under snow way markings are practically useless but how well marked is the trail? And how much does the spine route deviate from the Harvery trail?
GKD
17/02/2013 at 09:10

Hi  Lirish  In the conditions we had this year about 30% of the trail was totally invisible on the ground (the latter half once the snow had fallen) so you were down to nav/GPS. I found the way markings ok but only to check I was on course. The way markings are of most use where the trail parts from a larger track or road and you can confirm the trail head. At night none of the way marks are reflective and even the signposts are a bit mossy. We sometimes had to brush snow of the signs to read them. As for deviation ,apart from a new shortening of the rout missing out the Horton dog leg ,I think Harveys map was spot on. You will be briefed about course changes in the briefing. Wish I had listened properly as not listening cost me1 1/2 hrs! The time in itself was not a problem it's planning sleep breaks that is more important.

101 to 120 of 709 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.