The Spine

1,181 to 1,187 of 1,187 messages
28/01/2015 at 01:38

Great blog, Ian.  If anything I would say you have played down the conditions.  Liked the humour!  We now have a bit of character to add to the anonymous little orange markers we were following so avidly (including yours).

Looking after your feet must be the most important thing of all.

Pudge    pirate
28/01/2015 at 05:45
Thank you Ian - that's really helpful

And superb blog!
GKD
28/01/2015 at 07:58

Another forced stop due to approaching storm apparently, not s great place to hold people there's not a great deal of room there, at least not unless they've opened up more of the buildings. Needs must I guess.

GKD
28/01/2015 at 13:40

I wore mudroc290s to cp1, and roclite boots from cp1 until I was pulled. Both were fine for me, roclite a bit more forgiving overall I guess but I'd stick with same if I was doing again probably.

28/01/2015 at 18:03

That's a random post, GKD.

Whole new set of finishing times on Spine website since I last looked, factoring in everyone's credits.

28/01/2015 at 20:29

Strange things happened to feet this year. First point was no ones waterproof socks stayed waterproof. I got one small blister on the sole of my right foot. this was attended to by the medics at CP2 , By the end of the race it had healed! I always wear two pairs of Socks ( 3 including the waterproof socks). Most blister damage happens on day one as you move much faster and any rubbing is more severe . Once you slow down blisters are caused by bad fitting shoes or the early damage getting worse.

The medics always say I have good feet but I suspect it may be the double sock rule and the fact that ZT Wings are exactly matched to my foot shape (I can run an  ultra in them straight out of the box.I don,t really have to think much about my feet. 

With regards to conditions yes they were far worse than previous races hence the early high drop out race. The biggest difference this year was that the remaining pack did not have to deal with real sleep deprivation as we kept being held at CP,s. 

No one was really tested by the lack of sleep so the later drop out rate was reduced to almost zero. If the race had carried on without the extra free rest time then I suspect we would have had only a 25% finish rate. I don,t think this years novice runners really appreciate how lucky they were. If they return in 2016 they will be in for an unexpected shock!

Lack of sleep will be hardly mentioned in this years blogs . GKD will tell you about sleep issues.

Edited: 28/01/2015 at 20:30
Yesterday at 00:50

Agree with Ian's comments about sleep deprivation or lack of it this year. Having started all four Spines, this is the first year that the sleep demons didn't really come into play.

re Spikecross: both Gary & I used them on the first section in 2013 when it was very icy/frosty underfoot. Great grip but could really feel the spikes on anything hard - non-iced rock and road. Led to a few early hot spots and we both jettisoned at CP1

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,181 to 1,187 of 1,187 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.