The ultra runners tool kit

201 to 220 of 326 messages
01/12/2011 at 19:17

Seren, is its any consolation I dont get to ENJOY the scenery as much as you do....actually that prob ISNT any consolation!

Loulabell, Im going back to do Malvern Ultra 55, Caesars Camp (50) and Brecon 45.  I loved all these races and the organisors.  Although to be fair I havnt done any other ultras

Ive also added GUCR 145 and North Downs Way (50 or 100). 

Also got London mara and the Forestman tri.  So plenty to keep me busy.

You?

01/12/2011 at 19:18
seren, what you doing at AvonT - the 100m ultra?  Ill be down there helping to crew
01/12/2011 at 21:13

spen..i THINK they have decided what waterproofs are required..im just hoping i dnt need any !!

Daz, i have Glocester mara, northants ultra,NDW50, jw ultra,abingdon mara, and prob druids..

01/12/2011 at 21:17
I must be daft as I cannot see them lol.  The bottoms yes I can see that but not the jacket.
01/12/2011 at 21:21

i havnt paid attention spen...um ok, I have a waterproof (i think) jacket...and er, the rest of you havnt decided......actually i dnt think mine would any good up a mountain..but Northamtpon doesnt have mountains...................

........does it?

01/12/2011 at 21:26

Think I have worked out.   Montane Minimus jacket and Atomic bottoms.  That is the best part of 200 quid lol.

No  I have entered a mountain (or very high hills) marathon in March and it asks for waterproofs.   

01/12/2011 at 21:29
With regard to shoes, check the weight of them. Did my first trail marathon in a pair of Salomon. Knew they where a bit heavier than my road shoes about 100g, be the end it felt like I was running in driving boots

Use Inov8 Baregrip 200 now. Very light, very minimal so you need strong feet.

Hate to think how much I have spent on kit for my Ultra this weekend. Just hope the wife doesn't found out. Best book another one to make the most of it
Edited: 01/12/2011 at 21:31
01/12/2011 at 21:31

Sounds nuts, but I'm carrying a simple plastic waterproof poncho (<50 g) with me for emergencies (as in: I have a twisted ankle, I'm waiting for someone to come get me and it's started raining). I do want to get a proper lightweight-and-as-breathable-as-possible waterproof (I have several waterproofs, but intended for hill walking, not running, and not light enough or breathable enough), but I figured this was a worthwhile addition when out on runs with only a showerproof jacket.

On the Montane: are the Minimus jacket and Atomic bottoms shower proof or waterproof? And didn't someone say something about the jacket sizing being unusual? I'm a size 10 normally.

01/12/2011 at 21:31
loulabell wrote (see)

..actually i dnt think mine would any good up a mountain..but Northamtpon doesnt have mountains...................

........does it?

spen, i was joking, im not THAT bad at geography...ouch £200?..thats a lotta dosh
01/12/2011 at 21:41
Jacket is £120
01/12/2011 at 21:42
...um, shall i curse/swear for you spen..
01/12/2011 at 21:43
As for runs - I'm managing a parkrun Christmas Day then doing lunch for family, so I'm not sure I'll get a proper run that day. Managing the parkrun on New Year's Day as well but will hopefully go for a proper (long) run afterwards.
01/12/2011 at 21:46
I have spent a lot more than that on t shirts when I was younger and would buy designer clothes.
01/12/2011 at 21:51
yes..have to admit tht when i started work i spent every weekend at the designer village and would think nothing of £200 in one go on a few items..now i want a whole outfit inc shoes for £50 these days ...
01/12/2011 at 22:13
I wonder if I ask my daddy nice enough he will get me one of the Jackets   Cannot really afford it at the moment,
02/12/2011 at 05:28

I was at AT this year (I DNF in the Double due to a knee problem)

If you had fully waterproof kit with taped seams on the the last weekend, people would have sold their children to get it

seren nos    pirate
02/12/2011 at 07:49

veggieboy.......apart from me........Eddie was really nagging me to put soem clothes on.........i was running in shorts and vests..........but even I put on my montane jacket for a few miles............If it was on an exposed hill then I think the jacket would have been on all run..............( only did the single this year)

You can't expect it to be good weather just because its in june

02/12/2011 at 07:51
cragchick wrote (see)
... and LLB, don't worry, NDW it is. Looking forward to running on some home turf (well the first section anyway!).

yay!!! look forward to seeing you there cragc....as seren has put above just because its in aug doesnt mean it wont rain...maybe i should get waterproof trousers...had an email frm likeys sports with a sale so maybe i will check out the trousers...problem is getting thm small enough
seren nos    pirate
02/12/2011 at 07:52
i think you m ight need kids sizes loulabell
02/12/2011 at 08:14
the likeys ones say xs and the marmot jacket i have in tht size is ok but still room for things under it. its not the length so much i have trouble with just waist and hips with it all falling down...is there anywhere that does kids waterproofs suitable for running in...
201 to 220 of 326 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.