The Wall Run 23rd & 24th June 2012

Hadrian's Wall Race Carlisle:Newcastle

401 to 420 of 745 messages
21/03/2012 at 08:35
Purplehel - This will be the first running of the event so it can't currently be called an iconic event and suspect is unlikely to be due to the amount of road running (I suspect permission to run much of the event along the actual wall was hard to get).

What do you have in mind the full length in one shot or over two days? I am not running (too much road, I think the price is a tad steep) were I running I would opt for the 2 day approach simply because the 'event village' in the middle should be great with lots of likeminded folk 'milling around' swapping 'war stories'.

If you re up to 27 miles on training runs already either the 1 day or 2 day run should be pretty straightforward for you.

21/03/2012 at 09:29
thanks for the advice Alistair Stewart - I guess iconic I meant something 'different' and being the first one of its kind, my other idea was IOW ultra but its long travel for me though I think Was thinking of doing the 2 day as you say could be a good atmosphere first night, and defiantly don't have confidence to do 70 miles straight off. Seeing it as a kind of holiday break than just the run. Any other 'beginner' ultra suggestions most welcome though i quite like the idea of 2 days. For some reason I think it will be easier? anyone prove me wrong though?
21/03/2012 at 14:06
Purplehel - Lots and lots of advice on the 'wannabe ultra runner?' thread a good, friendly bunch with a range of experience from tentative first thoughts about ultras to seasoned pro's with several 100 mile finishes.

Not sure what part of the country you are based in but a couple of suggestions from me:

The 'Dukeries Ultra' also in its first year (May 26th) with 30 and 40 mile options the route will be undulating but will lack the real gradient often associated with off-road ultra's. It will be good fast trails under foot for most of the route. The scenery should be good with it starting and finishing in Sherwood Forest. I have met the organisers who seem great and am in fact running with them and some of the other entrants on a course 'recce' this Saturday.

http://www.dukeriesevents.co.uk/

Second suggestion and my first Ultra UltraRace Peaks (19th August), a very well run event. No navigation required. Again some undulations and a couple of decent climbs but overall downhill profile. 40 miles starting in the Peak District and finishing in Derby City Centre. Again I have met the organiser Rory Coleman who is a top chap. The atmosphere last year was great a really friendly race. The time of year does mean though that it is likely to be on the warmer side, still the route takes you past a little ice cream hut .... never before or since has a mint choc ice tasted better.

http://www.ultrarace.co.uk/events/

That is just two from my neck of the woods, I suggest re-posting the question on the 'wannabe ultra runner?' thread for a broader answer.

Cheers.
21/03/2012 at 20:18
Thanks Alistair thats brilliant - both local as well as in sheffield. I won't hijack this forum thread anymore and will go into the other one to get advice - thanks for the heads up on these, great advice very motivating.
24/03/2012 at 18:42

Seems a lot have entered this and then pulled out, who is still in?

I'm still in for the long haul

24/03/2012 at 18:57
I'm aiming to enter it next week, Graham,the one day option.
24/03/2012 at 19:17
Yep I'm still in, as long as I can stay injury free. Still looks like a great event to me.
25/03/2012 at 08:35
I'm still in but I'm wearing an aircast boot for the next 5+ weeks. Apparently there is a 95 year old woman walking it... If she can do it, so can I... And I have to say good on her too
25/03/2012 at 09:31
James Roberts 25 wrote (see)

I have an entry available for this event, due to continued Achilles problems I am unable to run.

I can transfer the entry at a reduced price, I paid £170 so if you are interested contact me via my profile.

James

Hi James

Is this still available or has someone already taken you up on the offer?

25/03/2012 at 11:50
Good to hear I was getting a bit worried about the number of pull-outs but seems there are still enough people about like myself with little or no common sense, and Cabbey sorry to hear about the boot, I'll take it you're not doing the Llanelli ultra next saturday then
25/03/2012 at 14:17
No but a lot of my friends from Fetch are... You'll have a great time EG, say hello to all the Fetchies for me
25/03/2012 at 14:59
Will keep my eyes open, quite looking forward to it now, my first time beyond 26 miles
25/03/2012 at 19:11
Well I'm still doing this event and the Dukries ultra as a warm up.

Not prepared well enough and doing the Wall as a one day challenge!

Anyone else not feeling to confident right now.
25/03/2012 at 19:20
I'm doing Northants as a warm up for The Wall, and I'm not even feeling confident about that.
25/03/2012 at 19:30
The Dukries now has me worried as well but don't want to pull out now. Feel I need to up the training quite hit until the events.

What possessed me to enter a 30 mile run as a warm up!
25/03/2012 at 19:44

I'm still in and planning to run in one go (although I dont think I'll be prepared).

Tiago, I'm also running the Northants Ultra, would be good to hook up.

25/03/2012 at 20:41
Sound like a plan, stefkirl, any company along the wall would be a great help.
25/03/2012 at 20:46
Not feeling to confident now myself! Just completed a marathon today and there's no way I had another 43 miles left in me! I'm also looking at the dukeries but am undecided on the 30 or 40 mile option.

There's a lot of work to be done in the next 2 months!
25/03/2012 at 21:19
I'm still yet to run marathon distance so your one up on me then!

I'm only doing the 30 miler at Dukries just to ease myself into the long runs.

Worried I've left it all to late.
26/03/2012 at 15:01
is anyone thinking of camping? I am still pondering this one as I like the idea of a multi-day event. Dukries sounds a lovely run shame its the day before the Sheffield Half - or that could make good training.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.