The Wall Run 23rd & 24th June 2012

Hadrian's Wall Race Carlisle:Newcastle

601 to 620 of 745 messages
18/06/2012 at 13:43
I've just been for a gentle 7 mile run. It's odd how amplified all of the twinges are becoming as the race approaches isn't it?
muv
18/06/2012 at 14:11

I've just found this thread - my friend and I are running this over 2 days, it's our first proper ultra and we've been training since the beginning of the year .... looking forward to it but a bit apprehensive as well

I've been on the phone to Rat Race this morning because I haven't received anything from them for a couple of months.  They didn't seem a bit bothered and just told me the instructions are all on the website.  Apparently, we should be getting final instructions this afternoon by e-mail. 

I havent been very impressed with the organisation of this event considering the monumental entry fee - I think a lot of things were slightly misrepresented on the original site.   I'm looking forward to the route and the run and it will be interesting to see if they are actually better organised than they appear to be ......

Good luck to all taking part  

muv
18/06/2012 at 14:25
Welcome Muv.

I think sadly your experience with Rat Race is similar to the rest of us.

I think with the route that they had to amend it a lot from their original idea, due to the numbers entering being too many for a protected footpath.

Hopefully RR will learn a lot this year and be able to build on this for future years as it has a lot of potential to be a really good event.
18/06/2012 at 19:19
I've just received the final instructions (so missed number 4 only).

Headlines-
Nearly 800 runners (doesn't say split between 1 day, 2 day and relay)
Sadly due to the rain we have even more road and less trail (road shoes for me then) to keep landowners happy, it's annoying but understandable and I assume they'll sell it as a mostly road race for next year.
Clarification of some rules and re-iteration of what we're facing.
It mentions that there will be a store at Friday registration.

It also mentions the fact that all previous emails are on their website.

There isn't really any new information.
18/06/2012 at 20:05
Thanks Carl, didn't receive that myself. Hopefully it will be on the websit soon. 800 runners - Good turnout for an ultra!
18/06/2012 at 21:30
Hi all what's the average time for 32 & 37 miles just wondering its going to be wet.see you all Saturday morning first ultra for me
muv
19/06/2012 at 00:13

thanks for the welcome Carl. 

I've managed to read thru the whole thread now and it seems as if everyone is of the same opinion about this event!  I am looking forward to it but was a bit disappointed that such a lot of it is on roads. 

No idea how long this is going to take us - we did a 30 miler back in April in just under 6 hours but I don't think that will compute to this, especially the second day.  I'll just be happy to finish - as long as I can get a taxi from the finish to my nice warm hotel room (with fully functioning shower and everything) that'll be fab.

see you all in Carlisle!

muv
19/06/2012 at 07:25
Every niggle seems very different this week. Trying not to run much and just rest.

Sleep seems to be avoiding me to, is this normal?

Starting to get a bit nervous and having major doubts about finishing as I will be aimIng for 12min miles to start. Will be having walk breaks to I think.

Weather forecast is not good. Thinking waterproofs need to be a bit better than cheap pac a mac.

Anyone else having issues!
19/06/2012 at 08:19

I did a 30 miler that turned into a 36 three weeks ago (my fault - poor map reading) and I think I tailed off too early so I've been doing some running and biking this week to get the stiffness out of my legs.

I have the Montane jacket but it wouldn't be any use in heavy rain so am looking at options, I'd like to find these throwaway lightweight coats that they give out at festivals but can't seem to get them anywhere, not ideal but you could carry one in case of a real emergency downpour 

19/06/2012 at 09:14

Blakester, I'm not sure there is an average time really as all of these type of events are all so different. It's best not to worry about timings and to just go out and enjoy the experience.

Muv - No worries, I think your goal of 'just finishing' is similar to most of us. It's difficult to set a target time as there are so many variables.

GU - I think I'm in the same boat, The last two nights I've been woken up early and thinking that I've got the start of a really nasty cold, thankfully it doesn't materialise when I wake up properly. I went for a gentle run yesterday and my knee seemed unhappy about it at the start. I've not had any trouble sleeping as I have a baby at home. When you've got one of them, when you attempt to sleep, it's easy. I think it's probably natural to have doubts as it's a long way, but you'll be alright. I'd recommend setting off gently and don't push yourself if you're falling behind time. I've never done this distance before so my advice may be completely wrong but it's worked for about 15 runs of 30-45 miles.

EGG - I like that idea, I'm very much holding off at the moment as the weather is so changeable. If come Friday afternoon at registration the forecast is still unfavourable then I will go for the full waterproof but not before then.

19/06/2012 at 09:58
Not really worried about time just get round first day should be ok just getting up next day and run 37 miles with no sleep can't sleep the best of times I'm like a bat.we will all be ok the books I've read about ultra runners are the best people to run with.hats of to you all.fed up with pasta its only day 2.
muv
19/06/2012 at 13:00

I know EXACTLY what you mean about pasta ... and porridge!  

I'm not sleeping either - the panic about actually running it has been overtaken by the panic about packing/kit.   Still, it gives me something to think about in the wee small hours .....

I think we'll all be fine - apart from the seasoned ultra-marathoners amongst us I guess its a step into the unknown for everyone.   Think of the buzz when we cross the line tho - that's got to be worth it 

muv
19/06/2012 at 15:20
Blakester, I've found when doing consecutive 30 milers that once you do the first couple of miles with sore, tired legs they ease off and you can run comfortably again. Just hope you experience the same, and also get some sleep.

I hate the pasta diet when it's forced, I do love porridge with a big splodge of strawberry jam for breakfast though.

Yep, definitely a step into the unknown, I don't know about the rest of you but I need to find another 24 miles from my longest ever run. Can't wait to do it.

Good luck to those struggling to sleep, you should get a baby in the house and then at least you'll sleep straight away when you put your head down..
19/06/2012 at 16:41

I need to find a few miles too, I don't know how others feel about it but when I did my first Ultra I didn't enjoy it one little bit until I was suddenly running my 27th mile and realised I was running beyond my furthest distance. So once I get past 37 miles I know how I'll feel, and will start to enjoy it then, it's the thrill of breaking new ground I suppose

19/06/2012 at 19:02
Following that reasoning EG I'll be enjoying the run very early on this being my first long run.

It's very exciting thinking it's so close now. Going to pack and repack again tomorrow. Thinking might just buy a poncho. Wish I had got the disney one whilst on holiday.

69 miles of mickey mouse fun.
19/06/2012 at 19:31
I think for me, that as every step I take will be into areas I've never run before it will hopefully keep me distracted from any discomfort. I shall watch the world go by.

You make a good point EG about the mileage, everything after your best ever is a step that makes you feel good as a record breaker.

Packing Thursday GU. Leaving at 6 on Friday morning for the long drive up north.
69 miles of Mickey Mouse fun is a heck of a tagline for a race, shame you can't do it.
19/06/2012 at 20:39

For those who are doing their first ultra here, my advice is to ignore the niggles. 

You always get little phantom niggles cropping up before a major ultra, even if you have sat on your backside for the last two weeks.  Most of it is mental, and they will all disappear once the race starts. 

The Wall is just like any other race, in that it has a training plan, and if you complete the training plan you can complete the race. 

If you have finished the training plan without significant injuries, then the only thing that can go wrong is if you let the race get to you mentally. 

19/06/2012 at 21:53
Cheers Ben. My first ultra big step up from marathons training was going fine and buzzing averaging 66 miles per week untill I sliped down stairs and fractured a bone in foot and no running for 4 weeks but done the Edinburgh marathon few weeks ago and started training again.looking forward to it bring it on.hope legs hold up.
19/06/2012 at 22:52
Brilliant, England won the group so it's a quarter final on Sunday instead of Saturday.
20/06/2012 at 08:06

That makes two races, one to get to Newcastle, the second to get home in time to watch, which is good, running 69 miles is now second priority.

My daughter found a great solution to the wet gear, she showed me her Festival emergency coat, ingeniously the whole thing folds into a pocket which seals up to the size of a tennis ball, one size fits all so her coat would fit me, apparently they are on sale at the Trafford centre, if she can find me one great, if not and you come across some poor bloke in a pink plastic floral hoodie, you'll know who I am.

601 to 620 of 745 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.