The Wall Run 23rd & 24th June 2012

Hadrian's Wall Race Carlisle:Newcastle

661 to 680 of 745 messages
22/06/2012 at 17:42
I found it very efficient. I think I'm going to stick with the Brewer's Fayre at my hotel..and the football.

Done a couple of miles walking around Newcastle and Carlisle already. It's a good warm up.
22/06/2012 at 19:37
Having dinner in the hotel. All the Italians were fully booked.

Registration quick and efficient.

Sleep tight!
22/06/2012 at 19:49
Staying in tonight washing my hair got pasta & water football on happy days . Had mixed emotions coming up on train seeing all that rain & flooding.better now had pasta fix can't wait now we are not made of sugar bring it on .good luck enjoy sleep ha ha no sleep on this trip.
22/06/2012 at 20:34
Good luck, amigos. See you bright and early tomorrow, well bright anyway.
22/06/2012 at 20:41
Good luck all. See you in Newcastle.
23/06/2012 at 21:34
Just got home - knackered! Thought it was a great route considering so many were complaining about it although im sure some will argue a couple of the roads were neverending! Shame about the flooding - my feet are blistered up as a result . 27th place finish which I would have taken if offered.
Reconsidering my plan to do the winter 100 as found this one pretty tough from 62 miles on .

Thanks Rat race!
23/06/2012 at 21:44
Echo that Andy. I thought it was a great route through some beatiful countryside. I managed 29th myself in 13:07:33.
Loved every minute, no dark moments.

Congratulations Andy.
24/06/2012 at 09:05
Congratulations to you to Carl - we were probably running near each other at some point if we were hat close together. Heard a few people complaining at the end because the bridge tilted ( which takes About 15 mins) and held up 4 runners!! Was due to tilt again at 9pm - I think someone's dropped a messed up there!
24/06/2012 at 12:57
Had to withdraw at Vindolanda on their medical advice with suspected fractured foot after slipping and shaking it on a rock.

X ray shows no crack but still sore.

First time I've blistered in a run lots of wet moments did not help.
24/06/2012 at 13:46
Thanks Andy, I was reading the instructions and they said there may be a tilt in which case they'd clock you in before the bridge. I would rather have waited and did the full length in that situation.
I'm sure we must have spoken at some point. I was in a yellow/gold Corsham Running Club top, black shorts and a silver and red backpack.

So sorry to hear that GU but no point killing yourself and there's always next year.
I got blisters for the first time as well. I suppose 67 miles with soaked socks didn't help.

I also think I'm losing a toenail. I'm like an old man today, everything is creaking and groaning and I have to make a noise to stand up and sit down.

Barbecue at home now so I'm eating my bodyweight in red meat.
24/06/2012 at 13:47
Unlucky going ultra, hope your foot heals quickly. The second part of the course had more flooding which wouldn't of helped your blisters. It was a massive challenge for your first event and I think you should still be proud of running 32 miles in those conditions.
24/06/2012 at 14:33
Thanks Andy just felt a little emotional and frustrated. Medical staff were really good and so was massagevhile waiting to get out of Vindolanda.

Wife want to pick up some of my gear up from the finish today and the staff gave her my tshirt, goody bag and medal and were concerned for how I was.

Looking for another event now as lying bored with iPad........
24/06/2012 at 17:28

Congratulations to Andy AFCB and Carl on some brilliant times. 

Andy

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that you are capable of doing a 100 miler.  You likely did this event about an hour quicker than me, and I have done two of them. 

You would have to pace yourself differently.  If you ran the first 69 miles at that pace you would run into trouble, but that is just the challenge that everybody faces with a 100. 

24/06/2012 at 17:29

Sorry to hear you had to abondon the race Ultra, nice they sorted you out tee-shit and medal.

I got around in 16:31 (127th place) which I was realy pleased with, got into Newcastle just past mid-night. It was a lot of road ! and these bridges seems to be moving further away from me.

Both my ankles are swollen badly today, what's the advise ? ice & ibuprofen ?

24/06/2012 at 17:45

stefkirl

Ice and ibuprofen are both good. 

What I usually do with a swollen ankle is just stick it in a bucket of ice water while I am watching the television. 

Congratulations on the good time. 

25/06/2012 at 06:49
Hats of to you all for running that distance and some good times.that's the first time I've hit 30+ over 2 days.I ran well enjoyed the course and meet some great people .just under 6 hours first day then 7.18 second day.got ice on ankle no running for me this week.maybe next year try 69 in one go.train back to bristol later.enjoy.
25/06/2012 at 09:21

Well I was hit with blisters at around mile 10, due to waterlogged shoes, and it was a case of handling that and getting through, the campsite at Violanda put aside any thoughts of quitting, it was a stark choice, I would take the 37 miles rather have spent a night under canvas there.

I think I managed 20 hours and 20 minutes and felt like a zombie by the end, initial thoughts - never again, but I woke up in my hotel four hours later planning how to handle it different next time so life goes on. Well done to all who finished, looking back the biggest downpour for 20 years was not the greatest backdrop to an event that long.

25/06/2012 at 09:36
Well done all. I hope the pain is starting to subside now but the glow still remains.
25/06/2012 at 09:49

I feel good today, due to the blistering I had to walk a large portion so no real leg or muscle pain, just minced feet

25/06/2012 at 10:01
No pain no gain as they say toe-nails turning black going to lose a few more .just had breakfast still can't hold anythink down.drinking plenty of water .got a job to walk because of the biggest blister. Happy with 13hrs 13min .
661 to 680 of 745 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.