The Wall Run 23rd & 24th June 2012

Hadrian's Wall Race Carlisle:Newcastle

681 to 700 of 745 messages
25/06/2012 at 20:00
Cheers Ben for the encouragement - well done to you too. After a couple of nights sleep I think I'll give it a go. I noticed you had your eye on it to?

Did anyone have a problem with signage being removed in the last 8 or so miles of the wall run or was it just me?
25/06/2012 at 20:24

I am certainly interested in the Winter 100. 

I think that the problem with the signs, is that they were almost identical to those used for a local cycling event the day before.  This might have resulted in the organisers of said event removing some of them by mistake. 

muv
25/06/2012 at 23:11

well done everyone!   I loved every minute of this despite the rain and the mud.  My first ultra and I can't wait to try another one.  Everyone seemed in good spirits, thanks for all the encouragement along the way and to the chap who literally hoisted me and my friend and another couple up a bank at one point.  The campsite was ... interesting I think is the best way to describe it.  Who on earth decided to put those portaloos up an embankment??? 

Anyway - still buzzing - came in with my mate in 16hrs 57, felt strong at the end so pretty happy with that.

muv
26/06/2012 at 09:48
Andy, yes. I went slightly off course to the last checkpoint. When I emerged off of the cycle path I went straight on down the road as there was no sign. Luckily someone who was just leaving there spotted me and the woman in the car ran ahead of me. I don't think it added anything in the end, so thanks to them for stopping.

I was worried towards the end that I wasn't following the right path as signs were far apart (although I think they used red and white tape) and I was probably delirious, always so happy to see the yellow signs.

I think there was definitely one missing as the cycle path about a mile after the last checkpoint split two ways and there was no yellow sign.

My legs and muscles are feeling much better today but my feet are still mashed. I discovered yesterday that the reason for my swollen big toe was that I had a massive blister under the nail. That bog after 2 miles did a number on my feet
26/06/2012 at 10:33
Yes Carl that's where I went wrong , a mile after the last checkpoint where the path split in two, luckily I've done a bit if training up that way do managed to get back on track but if I wasn't local I may have struggled.

Blister under the toe sounds nasty I've heard stories if runners 'drilling' through the nail mid race to relieve the pressure.

I'm pretty much back to normal now other than a few minor blisters and a slight pain in my left foot. Tempted to try a 2 miler later.

Looking forward to seeing the event photos!
26/06/2012 at 11:09

Photos now out, quite disappointing really seem to remember much more than a photographer at one point on the course

26/06/2012 at 15:23
Where are the photos? I've taken a quick look at the Wall website but no link on the home page.

I did a 2 mile walk today which was ok, still a bit sore as my left ankle is swollen but doable.

I relieved the pressure on my toe by knocking it accidentally, it's ruined my sock.
26/06/2012 at 16:13

Carl - If you go on the Wall main site and look at the drop down menu you should see Photos, click the link, if it's not there update the screen and it should appear (F5) for a bruised nail you can just pierce it painlessly, use the end of a paperclip, warm it up to clean it, cool it off and twist it like a drill action, being an Engineer I've done it many a time with finger nail bruises

26/06/2012 at 22:28
What a brilliantly organised run I did the challenge and loved it so proud of myself now can't believe I finished and at one point thought ooh only 17 miles to go!!
27/06/2012 at 12:53
Well done all. What a day. 15.55 and position 103 for me. Just on my way back down south now, to internet connection and phone reception.
27/06/2012 at 17:35

Can anyone help me out finding the free post race photo?

27/06/2012 at 17:52

I don't think that the free photos are on the site yet, though the ones for purchase are now available. 

27/06/2012 at 17:58

Cheers Ben.

27/06/2012 at 18:43

The free photos are available for download from the Rat Race page on Facebook, they were posted this morning.

27/06/2012 at 20:36
Thanks stefkirl ,

I think I missed that photo shoot! Where did you have to go to have that taken?
27/06/2012 at 21:02
Andy, I missed it too. Looking at the photos it seems they only have 3 people under 13:30 (including the winner).

There is a photo of me crossing the finish line linked on the website. I'm expecting more photos as I remember other photographers. Definitely at Birdoswald and leaving Lanercost.
27/06/2012 at 21:08
Hi Carl, I think I've just left a comment under yours on Facebook. It's a bit disappointing considering it was something advertised as part of the entry fee.. I thought at the time the other photographers were just taking photos of my race number which was on my shorts? Not sure why they would have been doing this but definitely weren't face shots!
28/06/2012 at 08:21

Thanks Stefkirl, I'm looking pretty shell-shocked in mine.

They were taken in that first tent, where you got your medal and finish time, I nearly missed it, but they dragged me back.

28/06/2012 at 08:29
Yes, I missed that.

I got a response on Facebook which basically said 'sorry, we'll do better next time'. They didn't respond to your question Andy about getting one of the other photos free. I am going to ask them too?

I still had a great day though.
28/06/2012 at 09:42
It's a 'no' as we all had the opportunity to have our photo taken. Although somehow only 4 of the first 36 runners managed it.
681 to 700 of 745 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.